The 2016 Democratic nominee's ideology...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:46:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The 2016 Democratic nominee's ideology...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: The next nominee will be to Obama's:
Left

Right

Basically the same

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: The 2016 Democratic nominee's ideology...  (Read 4438 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »

Use your own judgement as to whether certain candidates are to the left or right of the President, though it's clear where, say, Liz Warren or Mark Warner would fit.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »

I'll say left.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:10:02 PM »

MOE on either side. I think the primary criteria for Dem base types will be a more aggressive political infighter.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2013, 10:13:10 PM by bballrox4717 »

I believe it will be close to Obama: someone who is socially liberal and near the center on economics. The main differences will be a candidate's approach to the presidency during their campaign. They could run on bipartisanship, leadership ability, populist appeal, being a Washington outsider, attacking Republicans, or experience. The true liberal wing has some say but they probably won't drag the party to the left, and there aren't enough centrists/blue dogs to drag the party more to the right.

The primary could get really interesting on foreign policy though, there are a lot of Democrats who aren't terribly impressed with Obama in that area.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:00:31 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2013, 11:34:31 PM by Starwatcher »

Basically the same, especially now that Obama supports gay marriage.

Maybe a little more left on a couple issues, maybe a little more right on a few others, but I don't see a big change. For the first time since FDR, a Democrat has gotten 51% of the popular vote more than once. They know the "Obama formula" works, and they're going to replicate it, with few alterations.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »

Other than O'Malley, all the democratic candidates are to the right of Obama, there is very little room to the left of Obama.

The next democratic and GOP nominees will be moderates;

VS.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:57:22 PM »

Relatively the same since Warren/Warner won't win the nomination. The Democratic establishment is much more aligned ideologically at the moment than the Republicans'.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 06:58:03 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2013, 06:59:38 AM by Shadowlord88 »

Somewhat more to the left on social issues, but probably the same on economic issues. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:20:39 AM »

Other than O'Malley, all the democratic candidates are to the right of Obama, there is very little room to the left of Obama.

I'd say that Elizabeth Warren, Deval Patrick, Martin O'Malley, and arguably Brian Schweitzer (if you ignore guns & coal) are to Obama's left.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »

Somewhat more to the left on social issues, but probably the same on economic issues. 

Didn't feel the need to copy and paste.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »

LOL.

I imagine the same as Obama. All Democratic presidential candidates have to be socially liberal at this point.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »

At this point if Christie and Cuomo were the nominees, I'd be pretty happy.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »

I had a feeling you were pretty conservative from your earlier posts, but wasn't sure. Now I'm convinced with this one crazy and unfoundedly untrue comment.
Wyoming Conservative
Rookie
Bahamas
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »

To the left. Most of the potential democrats are to Obamas left but Cuomo.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:17:29 AM »

Cuomo is also to the left of Obama on social issues. All of these candidates will have an easier job espousing liberal talking points now that the president has "evolved".
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »

Cuomo is also to the left of Obama on social issues. All of these candidates will have an easier job espousing liberal talking points now that the president has "evolved".

Cuomo is demonstrably to Obama's right on economic issues, however.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

Yep, nothing wrong with that. Social issues are what the candidates are going to hang their hats on in the primary, however. Martin O'Malley certainly won't be trumpeting his fiscal record.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 11:59:55 AM »

Same center-right ideology they've had for nearly 30 years now.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »

Yep, nothing wrong with that. Social issues are what the candidates are going to hang their hats on in the primary, however. Martin O'Malley certainly won't be trumpeting his fiscal record.

I'm certainly socially liberal, but I honestly have a problem with the Democratic Party abandoning its New Deal and Great Society principles while doubling down on social issues. It wins elections (I doubt it helps in your state, though Tongue), but it feels like we're forced right and end up losing our ideological souls. Andrew Cuomo, based on his record as governor, would be the most right-wing Democratic nominee in over 90 years.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2013, 12:33:26 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

I'm certainly socially liberal, but I honestly have a problem with the Democratic Party abandoning its New Deal and Great Society principles while doubling down on social issues. It wins elections (I doubt it helps in your state, though Tongue), but it feels like we're forced right and end up losing our ideological souls. Andrew Cuomo, based on his record as governor, would be the most right-wing Democratic nominee in over 90 years.

From everything I've observed, Cuomo is a pragmatist in Clinton's cloth. He was handed a budget deficit of ten billion dollars in his first year and went about the simplest way to close it. While I don't think he'll ever be a true friend to unions, he wouldn't revert back to Trickle Down Theory or some other nonsense if Obama's second term is a success.

Bill wanted to be a champion of liberal policies when he first came into office, but he adapted and survived like the brilliant politician he is. Cuomo will do whatever is best politically, and if that's the Obama script, I believe he'll follow it.

I don't think he's a conservative like so many want to paint him as. I'd much, much, MUCH rather have Cuomo as the governor of my state than O'Malley, but he needs to drop this fracking lunacy. I don't like that he's even giving this a thought if 2016 is really on his mind.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »

You do have a point. Cuomo does have to deal with what he's handed with, though my concern is that he went about it the wrong way. We'll see how his national campaign goes if he does choose to run.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »

I can foresee an electorate that would be more receiving of a moderate Democrat if they are experiencing Obama fatigue, and Cuomo might be our best bet there if Schweitzer isn't as popular on the national scene as he is through grassroots and message board speculation.

But right now my mind is on Hillary and Hillary only. I'll worry about the other contenders if she chooses not to run.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »

Hell, I oppose Cuomo because I think he's too right-wing economically, and I'm me. You know, I'm all in favor of spending and tax cuts, but you can really do that without proposing to throw thousands of homeless youth onto the streets, or what he did to the public employees, or his crazy-ass teacher evaluation deal, which won't work. He's to my right.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Aside from your needless hyperbole, Cuomo has handed teachers' unions their share of victories. This Democrat sponsored bill wasn't too "right wing".

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/21/new-york-legislature-passes-cuomo-teacher-evaluation-plan/
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »

Aside from your needless hyperbole, Cuomo has handed teachers' unions their share of victories. This Democrat sponsored bill wasn't too "right wing".

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/21/new-york-legislature-passes-cuomo-teacher-evaluation-plan/

Wow. He modified some horrible legislation he passed to make it slightly less horrible. I am now convinced.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies