Why/when did Mr Moderate take a sharp turn to the left?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:37:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why/when did Mr Moderate take a sharp turn to the left?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why/when did Mr Moderate take a sharp turn to the left?  (Read 3567 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2013, 06:48:17 AM »

A couple of years ago he was quite right wing with a self-serving exception for gay rights. Now he's a liberal partisan Democrat, who even goes by the screename "Former Moderate." What happened?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:34:44 AM »

California is what happened
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »

It seems like it was about the same time as I did. Although I'm neither gay nor have I moved to Los Angeles.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:23 AM »

It seems like it was about the same time as I did. Although I'm neither gay nor have I moved to Los Angeles.

BTW Franzl, could you tell us more about what prompted your political evolution? I'm curious. Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2013, 11:56:55 AM by Senator Franzl »

BTW Franzl, could you tell us more about what prompted your political evolution? I'm curious. Wink

To be honest, I can't really say. I think the US presidential election had a good deal to do with it, and the supposedly "moderate", "competent" Mitt Romney's absurdity. At some point, I just thought to myself: what pure and utter bulls**t. And his supporters' complete disconnection with electoral reality was probably also a factor, leading to a larger realization that the Republicans and a great deal of their supporters were and are basing their positions on nothing even resembling reality. That they were talking about balanced budgets, with their exact policy proposals, was just plain stupidity.

That doesn't explain my larger ideological shift, and it wouldn't really effect my views much outside the United States....but it has. For some reason. I don't entirely know the extent of these changes yet...I mean I still identify with the CDU for the most part, basially, I think.....but it's gone from a reflexive, defend them at all costs attitude to one of "I dunno....I think they're right more often than not...". I remain undecided in this important German election year in both elections I'm voting in.

I get the impression that development concerning America is similar to what may have happened to Mr. Moderate as well.

One thing I should say is I've come to the absolute conclusion that a comprehensive welfare state must exist for market economies to function properly. It is only through an acceptable degree of equality in opportunity that freedom and fairness can co-exist in society. And that is perhaps a larger realization that there's nothing inherently better about private services than public ones. The contrary rather in many areas.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

A religious party? Really?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »

I thought he said he became a Democrat when the party began to unequivocally support gay marriage.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

To be honest, I can't really say. I think the US presidential election had a good deal to do with it, and the supposedly "moderate", "competent" Mitt Romney's absurdity. At some point, I just thought to myself: what pure and utter bulls**t. And his supporters' complete disconnection with electoral reality was probably also a factor, leading to a larger realization that the Republicans and a great deal of their supporters were and are basing their positions on nothing even resembling reality. That they were talking about balanced budgets, with their exact policy proposals, was just plain stupidity.

That doesn't explain my larger ideological shift, and it wouldn't really effect my views much outside the United States....but it has. For some reason. I don't entirely know the extent of these changes yet...I mean I still identify with the CDU for the most part, basially, I think.....but it's gone from a reflexive, defend them at all costs attitude to one of "I dunno....I think they're right more often than not...". I remain undecided in this important German election year in both elections I'm voting in.

I get the impression that development concerning America is similar to what may have happened to Mr. Moderate as well.

One thing I should say is I've come to the absolute conclusion that a comprehensive welfare state must exist for market economies to function properly. It is only through an acceptable degree of equality in opportunity that freedom and fairness can co-exist in society. And that is perhaps a larger realization that there's nothing inherently better about private services than public ones. The contrary rather in many areas.

That's a pretty fascinating evolution, I must say. Smiley I wasn't really surprised by your harsh criticism on Romney and the GOP, since I found it quite consistent even with your past positions (you have always hated bullsh*t and reality deniers). It's not like a standard European neoliberal has to be in love with Romney anyway... But I just recently noticed that your shift has gone beyond just American politics. As you put it, you seem to have grown more skeptical of the free market and more attached to the Welfare State, which is an evolution I can only commend. Wink

I must say I have no idea what it must be like to start questioning so deeply the views you have held for so long, having never had such a reflection myself (my ideological drifts were more gradual and regarded only the means to enforce the principles I believe in, but not these principles themselves). It must be a pretty weird situation to be in, and I hope you will resolve it in a satisfactory way, with more solid and articulate views that your past ones (which they already were before). I think that would be a nice moment to have a debate together. I would be pleased to share our reflections on all these issues. You know where I stand, but I'm sure we both have things to bring to each other. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:15:33 PM »

A good moderate is antI-extremism. As a result, we're all Dem hacks these days.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »

Never mind, it is. Asshole.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »

Straight men who have sex with women also wear Hanes underwear so that doesn't even make sense.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »

If it is Stark, I'd laugh.. considering he told the forum he was bisexual once.

Yes.  Robert Stark told the forum he was bisexual once.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:49 PM »

Yeah, same
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:49 AM »

Kevin, just use your old account.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »

Why is this retard not banned yet?
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:16 AM »

Huh
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »

Because Nym has a real life, you see.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »

Fun fact: Nym hasn't posted outside the mod board since December 12.  Since that time, he's posted 7 times, all on the mod board, all about running IP checks on sock accounts and/or banning confirmed sock accounts.  Just in the last week, he's banned three sock accounts of previously banned members trying to return.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

You spot socks before they even post nowadays?

Since I can't think of who two of these accounts could have been.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »

Fun fact: Nym hasn't posted outside the mod board since December 12.  Since that time, he's posted 7 times, all on the mod board, all about running IP checks on sock accounts and/or banning confirmed sock accounts.  Just in the last week, he's banned three sock accounts of previously banned members trying to return.

Do we need a new ModAdmin then? If so, I nominate Alcon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »

Actually yes, we have had sock accounts caught before posting anything, but that's rare.  The two most recent bans were this sock account of Mondale84:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=10191

and this one of jmfcst:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=10197
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »

Actually yes, we have had sock accounts caught before posting anything, but that's rare.  The two most recent bans were this sock account of Mondale84:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=profile;u=10191
Lol, I did actually see one of this guy's posts.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I miss him. I want him back for good. (And it's utterly unmistakable that that's him. Hardly took an IP check.)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:16 AM »

I miss him. I want him back for good. (And it's utterly unmistakable that that's him. Hardly took an IP check.)

It was his choice, Lewis.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:20 AM »

Should that matter? He isn't pro choice.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

Should that matter? He isn't pro choice.

In my view it should matter, yes, sorry.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies