Assisted Suicide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:42:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Assisted Suicide
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Support or Oppose?
Support

Oppose

Not Sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Assisted Suicide  (Read 7611 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 07:40:33 PM »

I really don't need assistance to off myself. Thanks.

Not to be macabre but... you might need it some day. And so can I. If I even find myself not in the situation to choose how and when to end my life, I would want someone to do it on my behalf.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »

Not to be macabre but... you might need it some day. And so can I. If I even find myself not in the situation to choose how and when to end my life, I would want someone to do it on my behalf.

That awkward moment when Antonio V gets offed despite wanting to stay alive at the time.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

That awkward moment when Antonio V gets offed despite wanting to stay alive at the time.

Oh, I'm sure it was just a clerical error. You know how Doctors sometimes accidentally overlook some paper work...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »

To be macabre, Torie, you know that plenty of things can come upon you suddenly which will render you inable to put that massive heroin ball in your arm. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »

Oh, I'm sure it was just a clerical error. You know how Doctors sometimes accidentally overlook some paper work...

It might be that in your little conservative paranoia every single doctor is a psychopath looking for victims to kill in all impunity... But I'd rather make my decisions on rational grounds, thanks.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »

Little paranoid conservative? Ok man, if the only thing you've got is absurd name-calling by your second post addressed to me, I can tell this won't be a productive conversation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

This is not name-calling. Read my post again.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 05:26:30 PM »

Doctors do f[inks]uck up more than is polite to remember, of course. Human error is what it is, and there are some people in all fields who are frankly no good at their job.

But much of the problematic aspect to all of this isn't doctors so much as relatives. Which is an even less polite thought, I think.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 05:28:11 PM »

This is not name-calling. Read my post again.

I've already pointed out how poorly regulated euthanasia is in the Netherlands. Your claims of paranoia are completely off base.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »

Doctors do f[inks]uck up more than is polite to remember, of course. Human error is what it is, and there are some people in all fields who are frankly no good at their job.

But much of the problematic aspect to all of this isn't doctors so much as relatives. Which is an even less polite thought, I think.

Wouldn't relatives be generally biased in the other direction though? I'd imagine it's more likely that they refuse to let one go rather than push him to.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 07:00:38 PM »

Who am I to tell anyone they can't die?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

Wouldn't relatives be generally biased in the other direction though? I'd imagine it's more likely that they refuse to let one go rather than push him to.

I'd think so too, but it depends on what your family's like. Not everybody's relatives are as good loving people as mine or (apparently) yours.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2013, 08:12:59 PM »

I'd think so too, but it depends on what your family's like. Not everybody's relatives are as good loving people as mine or (apparently) yours.

Yeah, of course bad people do exist. And I certainly would want to do anything possible to avoid any abuses in euthanasia. Still, I think that the cases where people who want to die are unable to do so are much more frequent - and I would ever go as far as to say that such idea creeps me out much more than unwilling euthanasia.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »

Not if there's money at stake.

It's a class issue.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »

What isn't?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2013, 08:51:40 AM »

Nothing.
Nichlemn

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »

Support.

Yes, there will be cases of abuse. But there are always downsides to any policy, it's stupid to think you have to eliminate all risk before you do something with great benefits.

And for many of the potential cases of abuse, quite frankly I wouldn't mind too much. A lot of the victims are going to be terminally ill patients who would otherwise incur huge medical bills. By any reasonable cost-benefit analysis they probably shouldn't be attempted to be kept alive.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2013, 03:09:37 AM »

Support

Assisted suicide has been legal here in Washington for a while now, and there are no horror stories for the opposition to hold up as evidence that the law should be repealed. It's been legal even longer in Oregon, and again nothing we were warned about has happened

My neighbor was the first person to do it in the state. She was in constant pain, and would've been completely gone mentally by the time she died if she hadn't did it herself beforehand.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Sequim-woman-first-known-assisted-suicide-patient-1304106.php

There are also those who simply cannot commit suicide on their own, like some in this thread have suggested, without forcing a loved one into murdering them. A person with advanced Lou Gehrig's Disease can hardly fasten a noose.

I for one have a massive phobia of becoming crippled mentally or physically. If I am ever diagnosed with ALS or Alzheimer's I would make sure I die on my own terms while I'm still myself.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2013, 06:47:01 AM »

Support.

Yes, there will be cases of abuse. But there are always downsides to any policy, it's stupid to think you have to eliminate all risk before you do something with great benefits.

And for many of the potential cases of abuse, quite frankly I wouldn't mind too much. A lot of the victims are going to be terminally ill patients who would otherwise incur huge medical bills. By any reasonable cost-benefit analysis they probably shouldn't be attempted to be kept alive.
Making cost/beefit analysis about life and death is barbarian.
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2013, 11:57:05 PM »

Support

Apparently Christian busy-bodies and nosy neighbors believe it is their God-given right to make you suffer in excruciating pain all the way to the end.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »

Not sure.

This is one of them issues where I really haven't made my mind up. Sometimes I lean in favour, others times, against. If completely forced to make a choice, I would legalise it, though I would more likely abstain.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies