NE1: Agriculture Reinvestment Act of 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Agriculture Reinvestment Act of 2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE1: Agriculture Reinvestment Act of 2013  (Read 1714 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:23 AM »

A BILL

To insure the viability of agriculture in the Northeast Region, to preserve the Northeast's agricultural base, and to improve farm production.

Be it enacted by the Assembly of the Northeast Region convened.

SECTION 1. TITLE

This legislation may be cited as the 'Agriculture Reinvestment Act of 2013.'

SECTION 2. DEFINITION

The word "farm" in this act shall be defined as any land used to produce crops, livestock, specialty livestock, or grazing and includes woodland and wasteland not under cultivation or used for pasture or grazing.  

SECTION 3. FARM INVESTMENT BLOCK GRANT PROGRAM

1. The Northeast Department of Agriculture and the Interior shall be authorized to provide money to each state within the region for the purpose of capital investment to farms.

2. Grants will be awarded by state agencies on the basis of the quality of farmers' business plans that is a part of their applications.

3. Farmer applicants must match or exceed the amount of the grant being requested.  These funds must be used for projects that are defined as capital fixed assets and have a life expectancy of 10 years or more.

4. Funds may be used for the expansion of existing agricultural facilities, or diversification-expansion into new production areas and site improvements related to such expansion or diversification.

SECTION 4. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

1. Agricultural producers, singularly or jointly, whether such producers are owners or tenants of existing agricultural production facilities located within the region of the Northeast;

2. Applicant must provide an individual business plan. In the case of a joint venture, two business plans must be filed, one for the individual applicant and the other for the joint venture, demonstrating how the agricultural production facility will remain ongoing for at least ten years and show what impact the improvements will have on his or her business via projected increased sales, additional jobs, local taxes, etc.

3. Applicant must provide conceptual construction drawings with project budget;

4. Applicant must possess a current farmers' tax exempt permit;

5. Applicant must be responsible for securing and complying with all necessary zoning, inland wetland, building and other permits, as well as environmental regulations, as required prior to receiving grant;

6. Upon completion of project, applicant must provide an audit from a Certified Public Accountant, a lending institution or an agricultural advisory institution that includes an itemized statement of expenses of the project.

7. Applicants must agree to a site inspection conducted by an agent from their respective states prior to final approval or rejection of their application. If application approved and project monies awarded, applicant must agree to site inspections during the construction phase of the project.

(Sections 2 & 3 partially taken from http://www.ct.gov/doag/cwp/view.asp?a=3260&q=398988)

SECTION 5. FUNDING

Funds for this grant program will be allocated from the Environment & energy account of the Northeast Budget FY13' Nov-March.

Sponsor: Gov. Scott

Scott, you have 24 hours to advocate for this bill. Debate time will last 24 hours total.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »

I mean 72 hours total. *mindwipes everyone*
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:41:05 AM »

Essentially, this bill provides economic aid to farmers by helping them invest more in their farms.  It is based on a similar farm aid program in my home state of Connecticut.  The program is specifically block grant-oriented so that the states can use the money the way they see fit, within the regulations set by the bill.

When I wrote this legislation, I considered designing the program in a way that it only assists small family farms as opposed to large corporate ones which probably don't need the government assistance, but I wanted to get feedback from members of the Assembly before I make that change.  At the moment, I'm leaning in favor of doing so.  I also considered writing specifically how much money each state would receive based on the number of farmers each state has, but again, I wanted to get the opinion of the Assembly on that idea and the bill itself.

Also, if anyone knows if farm subsidies are primarily distributed by either the federal government or the regions, that would be helpful, because I think a subsidy program should also be considered if Northeastern farmers aren't receiving any.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »

How much will this cost?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

I'm not entirely sure, but probably not too much.  Unfortunately, we no longer have a GM to consult so I simply directed the funds to come from the Environment & energy part of the budget.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »

I think I'd need a cast iron cap on this to support this, the current budget for environment and energy is 7 billion, so perhaps 500 million?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »

I would support a cap on this.  $500 million is an acceptable amount, and I will amend it to the bill.

Amendment:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »

Is anyone else in favor of making the changes I've mentioned?

We need debate, people.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

I think the aid should be towards small farms. (unless big farms are in trouble and can't make investment by themselves)

I don't mind if you want to detail the amount by state if it's not too much trouble in estimating. The plan would look more specific but it's not mandatory for me.

Does the region have state agencies? I thought there was a regional governement but no state governments. (or state agencies mean different regional departments and not different states)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 06:29:08 AM »

I think the aid should be towards small farms.

Ooh, good one, Poirot! Can't have Mega Corps taking all the money!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:11:27 AM »

I think the aid should be towards small farms. (unless big farms are in trouble and can't make investment by themselves)

I don't mind if you want to detail the amount by state if it's not too much trouble in estimating. The plan would look more specific but it's not mandatory for me.

Does the region have state agencies? I thought there was a regional government but no state governments. (or state agencies mean different regional departments and not different states)

I agree, smaller farms are the ones that need help, and farming is especially important in states like NJ and VT.  Not only that, but the smaller farms could use some help in terms of competition, as I believe they produce a healthier and better quality product that we have an interest in preventing from being overtaken by mega-farm competition. 

As such, I propose that this aid go to farms that bring in $1,000,000 or less in profit a year. 
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »

A BILL

To insure the viability of agriculture in the Northeast Region, to preserve the Northeast's agricultural base, and to improve farm production.

SECTION 1. TITLE

SECTION 2. DEFINITION

The word "farm" in this act shall be defined as any land used to produce crops, livestock, specialty livestock, or grazing and includes woodland and wasteland not under cultivation or used for pasture or grazing.  

1. The Northeast Department of Agriculture and the Interior shall be authorized to provide money to each state within the region for the purpose of capital investment to farms.

2. Grants will be awarded by state agencies on the basis of the quality of farmers' business plans that is a part of their applications.

3. Farmer applicants must match or exceed the amount of the grant being requested.  These funds must be used for projects that are defined as capital fixed assets and have a life expectancy of 10 years or more.

4. Funds may be used for the expansion of existing agricultural facilities, or diversification-expansion into new production areas and site improvements related to such expansion or diversification.

1. Agricultural producers, singularly or jointly, whether such producers are owners or tenants of existing agricultural production facilities located within the region of the Northeast;

2. Applicant must provide an individual business plan. In the case of a joint venture, two business plans must be filed, one for the individual applicant and the other for the joint venture, demonstrating how the agricultural production facility will remain ongoing for at least ten years and show what impact the improvements will have on his or her business via projected increased sales, additional jobs, local taxes, etc.

4. Applicant must possess a current farmers' tax exempt permit;

5. Applicant must be responsible for securing and complying with all necessary zoning, inland wetland, building and other permits, as well as environmental regulations, as required prior to receiving grant;

6. Upon completion of project, applicant must provide an audit from a Certified Public Accountant, a lending institution or an agricultural advisory institution that includes an itemized statement of expenses of the project.

7. Applicants must agree to a site inspection conducted by an agent from their respective states prior to final approval or rejection of their application. If application approved and project monies awarded, applicant must agree to site inspections during the construction phase of the project.

8. Applicant's farm must receive less than $1,000,000 in revenue per year.

(Sections 2 & 3 partially taken from http://www.ct.gov/doag/cwp/view.asp?a=3260&q=398988)

SECTION 5. FUNDING

Funds for this grant program will be allocated from the Environment & energy account of the Northeast Budget FY13' Nov-March.

I'm not sure if this is placed or worded properly, so if y'all have any complaints, you can re-amend the thing.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »

Alfred's amendment is friendly.

In response to Poirot, thinking about it now I'm not sure if we have state governments.  The Northeast Constitution doesn't say anything about state governments, probably because they are not very extremely to the game, so they might just be boundaries.  It might be a better idea just letting the region's Department of Agriculture and the Interior (which does exist under law) to decide where the money goes to without regard for the state governments...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2013, 11:02:18 AM by Governor Scott »

I'm going to add another amendment.  I'll call this the "Snowball Amendment," as it came from you-know-who.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

Uh...has debate time expired?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »

Long ago. Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 07:44:17 PM »

Bumping just because we really need a vote on this...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »

A BILL

SECTION 1. TITLE

SECTION 2. DEFINITION

The word "farm" in this act shall be defined as any land used to produce crops, livestock, specialty livestock, or grazing and includes woodland not under cultivation or used for pasture or grazing.  

1. The Northeast Department of Agriculture and the Interior shall be authorized to provide money to farmers for the purpose of capital investment to farms.

2. Grants will be awarded by the Department on the basis of the quality of farmers' business plans that is a part of their applications.

4. Applicant must be responsible for securing and complying with all necessary zoning, inland wetland, building and other permits, as well as environmental regulations, as required prior to receiving grant;

5. Upon completion of project, applicant must provide an audit from a Certified Public Accountant, a lending institution or an agricultural advisory institution that includes an itemized statement of expenses of the project.

6. Applicants must agree to a site inspection conducted by an agent from their respective states prior to final approval or rejection of their application. If application approved and project monies awarded, applicant must agree to site inspections during the construction phase of the project.

7. Applicant's farm must receive less than $1,000,000 in revenue per year.

SECTION 5. FUNDING

$500 million will be allocated from the Environment & energy account of the Northeast Budget FY13' Nov-March to fund this grant program.

The expiration of debate time has been awakened from its slumber, and voting shall now begin. Voting will last 24 hours or until all members have voted.

Aye.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 12:51:10 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2013, 11:03:57 PM by Governor Scott »

Quote from: Restricted
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »

ABSTAIN
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »

I don't know if there are other differences between the speaker posting of final bill and Governor, but in the Governor's post, section 4 point 7, the 1 million dollars in revenue, is missing.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »

I don't know if there are other differences between the speaker posting of final bill and Governor, but in the Governor's post, section 4 point 7, the 1 million dollars in revenue, is missing.

Fixed.  Sorry about that.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 04:13:18 AM »

Aye
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »

aye
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »

With three ayes and one abstention, the bill passes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies