Opinion of memphis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:04:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of memphis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: The poster, not the city
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of memphis  (Read 8985 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2013, 11:56:38 AM »

Roll Eyes

It's sarcasm. It'd be the logical thing to do if he prioritized white males over everyone else as Gustaf claimed, but it clearly didn't. I also don't recall him defending Todd Akin (the logical thing for a supposed misogynist to do.)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2013, 12:59:04 PM by President Napoleon »

I was hoping so. Good work.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Misogyny isn't black or white, it's a matter of degree. It's definitely there. I don't believe Memphis hates women or anything, but I do believe he would prejudge a minority.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »

Well if you want to see real misogyny, take a look at what certain people were saying about Sandra Fluke in a few threads including some people Gustaf has defended before. Who weren't memphis and opebo, both of whom pointed out how disgusting and appalling said threads were.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »

I am not a big fan of misogyny and racism though, even if it is all beneficial to me.
Please let me reassure you that your race and sex have done nothing to improve my opinion of you.

hahaha! Good zinger, memphis.

Well if you want to see real misogyny, take a look at what certain people were saying about Sandra Fluke in a few threads including some people Gustaf has defended before. Who weren't memphis and opebo, both of whom pointed out how disgusting and appalling said threads were.

Good observation BRTD.  I can't speak for memphis, but I'd wager I'm among the least misogynistic people on the board.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »

As for 2016, my strong inclination is to support Hillary Clinton. Her views are similar to mine, she's been around long enough to know how the game is played, she has no reservations about playing said games, and the Moderate Heroes appear to have forgotten that she was once the scary liberal du jour, much as Obama is now. She'd be a far better president than her husband.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »

What?! Bill was a great president. She'd have to be one hell of a president to be "far better" than her husband.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »

FF, not the racist & misogynist everybody else seems to think he is...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »

What?! Bill was a great president. She'd have to be one hell of a president to be "far better" than her husband.
He removed the absurd cap on the Medicare tax. I'll give him that. Nonetheless, he failed to get healthcare reform passed. He instituted Don't Ask Don't Tell. He replaced welfare for poor families with welfare for all but the richest families. He signed DOMA. After a run of many good years on Wall Street, he deregulated banking which has been an ongoing disaster. He slashed taxes on investment income but never followed through on proposals to cute lower income tax rates. His at work philandering was very slimy, though not half as slimy as Republican attempts to politicize it. Bill's a very personable guy but Presidency was mediocre. Compared to W, obviously, he was a success story.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

Hindsight is always 20/20. Most of what you listed were things that were popular at the time - like Don't Ask, Don't tell, Deregulation, DOMA, and healthcare reform wasn't nearly as popular as it is now, and even now most people hate Obamacare - Obama just managed to pass it when the Dems had a super majority. I don't care what a president does behind closed doors - he is our president, not our moral leader. And of course, I love slashing investment taxes, but I am a slimy Republican, so there you go.

I still think Bill was a great president, and I have no idea what Hillary could do to be far better, but I am not a fan of hers or her style, so I am biased.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »

From the perspective of other white men I'm sure he's a great guy and since that's almost universally the case here FFs will have the day.The lack of empathy for people who aren't white men is a bit disconcerting though.

I am not a big fan of misogyny and racism though, even if it is all beneficial to me.
Please let me reassure you that your race and sex have done nothing to improve my opinion of you.

Ouch, Gustaf got owned there

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:58 PM »

Being President is not a popularity contest. I'd much rather have a President who shares my political views and can effectively pass them as policy than a moderate hero seat warmer with a fun personality.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

Being President is not a popularity contest. I'd much rather have a President who shares my political views and can effectively pass them as policy than a moderate hero seat warmer with a fun personality.

How dare you call Bill Clinton a moderate hero seat warmer!

Unfortunately, elections are popularity contests. It rarely comes down to the issues in the end.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »

wait memphis is a racist and misogynist?  did i miss something?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »

Liberal white men are often surprised to find that voting for Obama does not necessarily mean you aren't racist and being pro-choice and supporting Hillary Clinton does not necessarily mean you aren't misogynist.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

From the perspective of other white men I'm sure he's a great guy and since that's almost universally the case here FFs will have the day.The lack of empathy for people who aren't white men is a bit disconcerting though.

Do you really think you'd have a better opinion of Gustaf if he were an Asian lesbian?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »

Do you really think you'd have a better opinion of Gustaf if he were an Asian lesbian?
Wouldn't matter to me. I do think he would have more perspective on what sexism/racism actuually means if he were. I certainly have nothing against Asians or lesbians. If his/her views were the same and expressed in the same way, I'd find said Asian lesbian just as absurd and out of touch with reality. However, it's an unlikely scenario. It has been my experience that lesbians are well aware of the differences between men and women. Some members of the Atlas Forum need to get out more. But as I said earlier, we've all made our opinions about the sexes very clear. The personal attacks against my character don't hurt my feelings, but I don't see a need to beat this particular dead horse. Nobody's changing his mind.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »

I wasn't in the misogyny thread but at least for my part, I did not say Memphis was a racist.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »

Wouldn't matter to me. I do think he would have more perspective on what sexism/racism actuually means if he were. I certainly have nothing against Asians or lesbians. If his/her views were the same and expressed in the same way, I'd find said Asian lesbian just as absurd and out of touch with reality. However, it's an unlikely scenario. It has been my experience that lesbians are well aware of the differences between men and women. Some members of the Atlas Forum need to get out more. But as I said earlier, we've all made our opinions about the sexes very clear. The personal attacks against my character don't hurt my feelings, but I don't see a need to beat this particular dead horse. Nobody's changing his mind.

Gustaf seems to have a better understanding of racism and sexism than just about anyone on the forum. I would say Al is up there with him.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

BRTD logic wins the day. All misogynists must support all anti-women positions and one must either always hate or always love every person in the world.

It's funny how Memphis calls me out of touch when he thinks that it is easier for women than for men to get high-paying executive positions and also thinks that Sweden is a country where women have it especially tough. His level of ignorance is so high it is hard to take seriously.

Prejudices are difficult concepts to understand thoroughly, especially if one belongs to the more privileged group out of two groups (like being a white man, for example). One can still understand the plight of others through empathy, assuming one possesses it. While I certainly don't claim to fully understand what it's like to be a woman or an ethnic minority I at least understand that it's a problem and do not, like Memphis, delude myself into thinking that they are enjoying unfair privileges while us white men must bear the burden. A position that I think is quite deserving of scorn.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »

Where was Gustaf's white knighting after those Sandra Fluke threads?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2013, 10:19:29 PM »

He is neither a racist nor a misogynist. Unless you think there are no differences between men and women. In that case, Memphis is certainly a misogynist.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:44 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2013, 01:03:22 AM by memphis »

While I certainly don't claim to fully understand what it's like to be a woman or an ethnic minority I at least understand that it's a problem

Being a woman/minority is a problemHuh That's very rude! You trolling us?  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2013, 05:58:44 AM »

Gustaf seems to have a better understanding of racism and sexism than just about anyone on the forum. I would say Al is up there with him.

Good god.  Are you joking?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

While I certainly don't claim to fully understand what it's like to be a woman or an ethnic minority I at least understand that it's a problem

Being a woman/minority is a problemHuh That's very rude! You trolling us?  

You know full well what he meant, and you're deliberately misinterpreting this quote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 12:46:55 PM »

Once again I ask where was Gustaf and his white knighting after those Sandra Fluke threads? Funnily some of his least favorite posters (including opebo and Lief) were calling out the misogyny then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies