Voting w/o the Largest County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:45:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Voting w/o the Largest County
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting w/o the Largest County  (Read 3652 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2005, 01:15:00 AM »

Here's a map of how each state's election results for 2004 would look without the largest county voting.

Here's how each state trended.  States colored red mean Kerry's % in that state were higher than in the actual election, and vice-versa.

If anyone wants the raw data, just IM me.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 01:22:57 AM »

Here's a map of how each state's election results for 2004 would look without the largest county voting.

Here's how each state trended.  States colored red mean Kerry's % in that state were higher than in the actual election, and vice-versa.

I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by the second map.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 01:24:37 AM »

I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by the second map.

If Kerry did better in the state without the biggest county, it's colored red.  If Bush did better in the state without the biggest county, it's colored blue.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 01:28:40 AM »

Ah, I see thanks.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 01:52:25 AM »

Very cool. Smiley

Was this done with the county which bar went furthest, which had the most votes, or which has the highest population.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 01:56:54 AM »

Very cool. Smiley

Was this done with the county which bar went furthest, which had the most votes, or which has the highest population.

The county that had the most votes.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 11:59:37 PM »

With the exception of the 4 GOP states that trended Dem without their largest county, the rest of the map looks very promising to Republicans. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 12:04:25 AM »

With the exception of the 4 GOP states that trended Dem without their largest county, the rest of the map looks very promising to Republicans. 

Why is it "promising"? Do you know something we don't about plans to remove large cities from the U.S.? ;)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2005, 02:42:55 AM »

Why is it "promising"? Do you know something we don't about plans to remove large cities from the U.S.? Wink

Good question.  I have a feeling that if you removed the smallest counties, it would mostly make the states trend Republican, so I'm not sure what's promising.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 10:05:20 AM »

Why is it "promising"? Do you know something we don't about plans to remove large cities from the U.S.? Wink

Good question.  I have a feeling that if you removed the smallest counties, it would mostly make the states trend Republican, so I'm not sure what's promising.
Most major cities' percentage of state's votes is declining (although the picture is probably more mixed if you take counties), so I guess that is what he means.
Of course, those Dem votes don't disappear, rather they contribute to the Dem trend in the inner suburbs.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 08:53:42 PM »

Here's 2000:

nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »

I PM'd you about this.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 11:21:39 PM »

Alcon,

No, not really.  I have heard, however, that Chinese (and soon North Korean) ICBMs only have the range to reach West coast cities such as L.A., San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle.  Considering that Clinton sold the Chinese the technology for targeting missiles for campaign cash, and that his Sec State brokered the deal that gave NK nuclear reactors and plutonium, its pretty ironic that only liberal bastions can be targeted.

Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 11:32:39 PM »

You guys can't see why the map is promising to the GOP?  As close as states such as MI, OR, WA, MN, and PA were in 2004 election (including the most populous counties), it is only a question of time before they tilt to the GOP again.  This is especially true of MN and PA.  If that happens, the Dems are electorally shut out of the game for some years to come.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 11:34:45 PM »

Alcon,

No, not really.  I have heard, however, that Chinese (and soon North Korean) ICBMs only have the range to reach West coast cities such as L.A., San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle.  Considering that Clinton sold the Chinese the technology for targeting missiles for campaign cash, and that his Sec State brokered the deal that gave NK nuclear reactors and plutonium, its pretty ironic that only liberal bastions can be targeted.

Um...yeah. Can you, offhand, name any truly major cities that did not vote Kerry that would be worth targeting?

You guys can't see why the map is promising to the GOP?  As close as states such as MI, OR, WA, MN, and PA were in 2004 election (including the most populous counties), it is only a question of time before they tilt to the GOP again.  This is especially true of MN and PA.  If that happens, the Dems are electorally shut out of the game for some years to come.

Only if the climate remains as divided as it currently is, which is not all that likely. Trends to not just "keep going" in politics. Typically, by the time we see them, they are near done.

By the way, Washington State was not close. Kerry won it by 7 - that's a rather substantial win.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2005, 12:27:17 AM »

I can't think of too many of the cities that Kerry carried, that I would want to live in.  Boulder might be the only exception.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005, 12:38:05 AM »

I can't think of too many of the cities that Kerry carried, that I would want to live in.  Boulder might be the only exception.

That's cool, but unless you judge the cities you want to live on based on whether they are good military attack targets that voted for John Kerry, not quite what I was asking.

Judging by your profile, by the way, you currently live in one that Kerry won by a decent margin.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005, 07:46:59 AM »

Actually, I live in one of the smaller town withing Shelby County, just outside of Memphis.   While Bush only won about 41%  of the total county vote, his margins in the suburban towns was between 75% to 93%.

Personally, the larger cities are only good for taking in a museum.  Other than that, I much prefer the higher quality of life offered in the smaller cities with populations between 50,000-100,000.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 01:18:41 PM »

how so? Those largest counties aren't just going to magically disappear. That's the only way I can see this as being favorable to the GOP. What this really shows is that big cities vote Democrat, which has been that way forever, and hasn't shown any signs of it ending anytime soon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies