Most upsetting senate race of 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:01:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most upsetting senate race of 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Alaska

Colorado

Oklahoma

South Dakota

Illinois

North Carolina

Kentucky

Florida

Louisiana

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Most upsetting senate race of 2004  (Read 10296 times)
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 13, 2005, 08:29:54 AM »

It's obvious why I placed all of them, and I added Illinois because no one expected Ryan to go down about the sex scandal and I wonder why the GOP put up Alan Keyes!! Cheesy Anyways, I went for Alaska because Murkowski was appointed by Daddy, who was also unpopular for raising taxes, and Knowles was very popular.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 09:25:08 AM »

I'd say Barbara Boxer in California was the most upsetting Senate race.  The woman is a nutjob.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 09:49:04 AM »

South Dakota by far.  It's not that I liked Tom Daschle that much; it's just really upsetting that the minority leader could lose like that.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 10:36:27 AM »

Colorado was the most upsetting.  Could've had a nice conservative like Coors.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »

Alaska, for a while I thought it would be Ky when I was watching the returns on TV.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 11:26:10 AM »

South Dakota definitely...seeing Daschle lose was worse than all the others.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 11:33:18 AM »

I guess Kentucky. Since KY closes earlier than most, I really didn't get to see the results coming in since I was still at my polling place. However, I did see the final. At first I thought I was seeing things. Then when I realized that was the actual result, I was just angry. Thanks, Senator Bunning, for trying your hardest to lose.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 11:48:35 AM »

Oklahoma.  I had more faith in Sooners.  I didn't think they would elect "Rampant Lesbianism" Coburn.
Cashcow

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 01:01:20 PM »

Kentucky made me angry because we came so close to an upset and failed at the last second.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »

Alaska...Knowles seems like a good guy and every poll had him up (though they were Democratically comissioned) by a few points, and then when he lost it wasn't even by a razor-thin margin.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »

Kentucky was the worst to me personaly.
i still don't get why people would want an obviously unstable person representing them.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 03:27:28 PM »

Kentucky was the worst to me personaly.
i still don't get why people would want an obviously unstable person representing them.

Why? You from Kentucky?

And the Kentucky Senate race isn't an indication that some people would want an obviously unstable person representing them. It's an indication that some people would rather have an obviously unstable person representing them than a Democrat representing them.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »

It's an indication that some people would rather have an obviously unstable person representing them than a Democrat representing them.

Bulls*t. Mongiardo was chronically underfunded, had almost zero support from the national party, was subjected to a grotesque smear campaign, had hardly any name recognition outside Eastern KY until about halfway through the campaign... etc, etc, etc...

And despite all that came shockingly close to beating an extremely well funded incumbent Senator.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 03:46:38 PM »

California, as Dazzleman said.  Bill Jones was the first Seante candidate in 50 years not to run a single TV spot.  And he still got 38%!  He actually came to my University during the campaign, but no one went, on campus no one even knew his name, and most of the Poli Sci profs didn't even remember he had come here.  He sucked, and a moderate Republican like could have won, too.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »

I actually voted IL, since CA wasn't  an option.  I just don't like Obama.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 03:57:52 PM »

It's an indication that some people would rather have an obviously unstable person representing them than a Democrat representing them.

Bulls*t. Mongiardo was chronically underfunded, had almost zero support from the national party, was subjected to a grotesque smear campaign, had hardly any name recognition outside Eastern KY until about halfway through the campaign... etc, etc, etc...

And despite all that came shockingly close to beating an extremely well funded incumbent Senator.

He didn't win, so it's pretty obvious the people wanted the unstable guy. You can talk about how their minds could have been changed all you want. I'm just going on what the minds actually did.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 03:58:05 PM »

South Carolina.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 04:08:20 PM »

He didn't win, so it's pretty obvious the people wanted the unstable guy. You can talk about how their minds could have been changed all you want. I'm just going on what the minds actually did.

It's was extremely close in case you didn't notice... Bunning basically bought himself another term in the Senate (how long he'll last in that term is another matter)... were it not for the sickening influence of money in politics, the smears and the fact that the national Democrats didn't lift a finger for Mongiardo, the biggest upset for years would have happend.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 04:12:47 PM »

were it not for the sickening influence of money in politics, the smears

Melissa Brown would be in Congress, too!  Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 04:14:30 PM »

I noticed, and yet, I also noticed the winner.

The "sickening influence" of money in politics is the sickening influence of the people. You have to change minds to win elections, and if you don't, you lose.

The point is that had the same thing happened in a state that wasn't so Republican on a federal level, the Democrat would have won.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 04:38:06 PM »

I picked Alaska, but, honestly, it could have been a slew of any of these.  I picked AK b/c Knowles was up in every single poll conducted except for one--and that was conducted by a Republican firm.  I thought for sure we would win it, but we didn't; we got slaughtered.  It was quite a disappointment.
Personally, I really liked Carson (OK) and John (LA), even though both of them were super-right wing Democrats (like Sam Spade).  They were personal big upsets b/c I liked them so much as people and I thought they were entirely electable.
And, of course, losing Daschle was obviously a good thing in the end, but I just can't stand thinking about how embarrassing it is to the party to have our biggest leader ousted.
Also, Castor and Bowles were crappy losses because they were ahead by 5 or so points a month before election day, and then got creamed by their opponents in a last-minute win.
Of course, Mongiardo, who no one paid attention to, who almost won even without barely any support.

All of these races are really upsetting, all seven of them.  I just thank goodness that Terry McAuliffe is out and Howard Dean is in to keep this garbage from happening again.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 04:49:09 PM »

I voted N.C. since I was hoping Edwards' vice presidential candidacy would pull Bowles to victory.

Louisiana was also very disappointing. LA's most conservative House Dem (John) went up against LA's most conservative House Repub (Vitter) to replace a retiring Dem in a historically Democratic state that hadn't elected a Republican Senator since reconstruction. And John couldn't even make it to a run-off...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 05:17:38 PM »

Now you asked for a PA 13 debate in here.  She had $1.9 million and did some damage to Schwartz herself.  She had her dirty laundry.  STOP WHINING!!!

My picks were South Dakota followed by South Carolina and Oklahoma.  The latter 2 is due to their extremism which yes Phil is far worse than Santorum (hope you feel better with that comment).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 05:20:11 PM »

Now you asked for a PA 13 debate in here.  She had $1.9 million and did some damage to Schwartz herself.  She had her dirty laundry.  STOP WHINING!!!

My picks were South Dakota followed by South Carolina and Oklahoma.  The latter 2 is due to their extremism which yes Phil is far worse than Santorum (hope you feel better with that comment).

All Schwartz did was call Brown sleazy in her TV ads. I counted atleast five negative mailers from Schwartz before Brown even put out a single TV ad. But hopefully this debate ends here or is taken to the PA 13 thread.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2005, 05:20:32 PM »

OMG!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length