Al Gore 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Al Gore 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Al Gore 2016  (Read 7916 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:23 PM »

^There's an argument to be made that Bush's penchant for tax cuts without discipline for ending the cuts quickly was just as much a factor as Clinton's deregulations. No he didn't cause the thing singlehandedly but, i mean, he could have reinstated Glass-Steagal if he wanted Tongue
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »

Bush went to Yale, and he went to Harvard Business School. Even Tony Blair wrote that the idea Bush is dumb is ludicrous and that he is very smart. I'm not saying Bush was a great president, I'm just saying that he isn't stupid.

It's not that hard to pull in a middling GPA at an Ivy League school where you're a third-generation legacy and your alumnus grandfather is a sitting senator. For the average human, no, Bush isn't stupid. For a nominee of one of the two major parties, he's very underwhelming. There's a hell of a lot more Warren Harding in him than Thomas Jefferson.

And is this Utah "Bushie" poster serious?

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 11:00:27 PM »

Bush went to Yale, and he went to Harvard Business School. Even Tony Blair wrote that the idea Bush is dumb is ludicrous and that he is very smart. I'm not saying Bush was a great president, I'm just saying that he isn't stupid.

It's not that hard to pull in a middling GPA at an Ivy League school where you're a third-generation legacy and your alumnus grandfather is a sitting senator. For the average human, no, Bush isn't stupid. For a nominee of one of the two major parties, he's very underwhelming. There's a hell of a lot more Warren Harding in him than Thomas Jefferson.

And is this Utah "Bushie" poster serious?

Why wouldn't I be serious?
wan
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

I am going to make this short and sweet. Al Gore is a Genius, we need his experience and intellect to really get this country back on track. I know it's supposedly Hillary's turn but we really need the best and brightest so a Gore-Clinton ticket would be my personal preference with Al running for only one term.

I know you guys are going to say Gore is old news, but the Presidency really should be more than just the flavor of the month. Gore is a wonk an out-of-the box thinker. We had a goddamned buffoon George W Bush ruin this country and Obama as done a great job of trying to get things back on track but i want Gore to help this country transition to the new economy.

For those of you who think a comeback is impossible just look at what another supposedly washed up Democrat -Gov. Jerry Brown is doing in California - slowly fixing a state screwed up by Republican - Arnold Schwarzenegger. If Brown was younger he would be on my VP short list.

So how many would support an Al Gore run in 2016?

I would have voted for Al gore if i was old enough back in 2000.  I don't think Al Gore is even involved in politics anymore he seems to be a more a successful business man.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 03:29:30 AM »

Last time I checked, President Bush wasn't a bad president.  I'm a Democrat, but IMO, he was the better person to handle 9/11.  President Bush was also far from "dumb".  He is extremely intelligent (almost too much for his own good).  He wasn't a great president, but he wasn't a bad president, either.  I think history will smile on his administration overall.  Iraq was not a mistake, initially, it was IMPERATIVE to get Saddam Hussein out of there.  The problem lies in not being prepared for such a quick and decisive victory over the Saddam regime.  Al Gore would have been alright, but he's just not a likeable guy.  President Obama, OTOH, is very likeable and very intelligtent.  Al Gore needs to stay in the background, otherwise he will pretty much guarantee a Republican will be inaugurated on January 20, 2017.  Also, Hillary is far from a guarantee.  Even if she does run, she's not automatically going to win.  America is still a center-right country.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, can call George W. Bush dumb and be correct.

I suppose this post shows that Bush is smarter than some people out there.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »

Apples and Oranges, how can you compare Gore and Romney? The Economy was roaring along in 2000; Gore had all the advantages that Obama had; experience and despite being endowed with all these advantages, this genius managed to piss it all away; unlike the situation with Romney, the election was Gore’s to lose and boy did he manage to do it; his intelligence not withstanding and the fact he kept changing his persona in all three of face to face debate’s with Bush;  it must have been an un nerving spectacle to see a prospective president doing what he did; remember? Of course, it’s more convenient to go with the mantra, “we wuz robbed” that’s the usual nonsense you Democrats spout, absolve yourselves of responsibility, blame everything and everybody, never change do you? Yeah sure blame the Supreme Court for ruling in Bush’s favor; if Gore had just been able to man up and concede and shut up; then he could have made his come-back in a fashion and manner to the way Nixon did.  So if blame needs to be assigned, place it at Gore’s doorstep.
Romney for his part was equally disastrous as a candidate; I’ll admit that, but intelligence is no measure of political competence.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »

Apples and Oranges, how can you compare Gore and Romney? The Economy was roaring along in 2000; Gore had all the advantages that Obama had; experience and despite being endowed with all these advantages, this genius managed to piss it all away; unlike the situation with Romney, the election was Gore’s to lose and boy did he manage to do it; his intelligence not withstanding and the fact he kept changing his persona in all three of face to face debate’s with Bush;  it must have been an un nerving spectacle to see a prospective president doing what he did; remember? Of course, it’s more convenient to go with the mantra, “we wuz robbed” that’s the usual nonsense you Democrats spout, absolve yourselves of responsibility, blame everything and everybody, never change do you? Yeah sure blame the Supreme Court for ruling in Bush’s favor; if Gore had just been able to man up and concede and shut up; then he could have made his come-back in a fashion and manner to the way Nixon did.  So if blame needs to be assigned, place it at Gore’s doorstep.
Romney for his part was equally disastrous as a candidate; I’ll admit that, but intelligence is no measure of political competence.

Do you feel better now?
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »

Most Democrats, the moronic lefties... love to redefine actual events as inaccurate and paint over the inconvenient and painful truths; Gore was and is a witless blow-hard; who coasted into congress and the Senate based on his father's name; the Vice Presidency was his glass ceiling and yeah I agree Dubya traded in on the family name, but he was also the successful two term Governor of a big state and cashed in on a brand name and after the psycho-drama of the Clinton years, Americans just didn't buy Gore, he barely won the popular vote in a good economy, pissed away all the advantages he should have had and it wasn't anybody's fault except Gore and then Clinton in that order.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »

Most Democrats, the moronic lefties... love to redefine actual events as inaccurate and paint over the inconvenient and painful truths;

Calm down, bro. A sizable portion of your party believes the Earth is ~6,000 years old.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »

Most Democrats, the moronic lefties... love to redefine actual events as inaccurate and paint over the inconvenient and painful truths;

Calm down, bro. A sizable portion of your party believes the Earth is ~6,000 years old.

Which isn't necessarily wrong.  I personally believe the earth is millions of years old, but that man is ~6,000 years old, based on the Bible which is infallible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »

Most Democrats, the moronic lefties... love to redefine actual events as inaccurate and paint over the inconvenient and painful truths; Gore was and is a witless blow-hard; who coasted into congress and the Senate based on his father's name; the Vice Presidency was his glass ceiling and yeah I agree Dubya traded in on the family name, but he was also the successful two term Governor of a big state and cashed in on a brand name and after the psycho-drama of the Clinton years, Americans just didn't buy Gore, he barely won the popular vote in a good economy, pissed away all the advantages he should have had and it wasn't anybody's fault except Gore and then Clinton in that order.

Bro, do you not know how sentences work?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 07:08:11 PM »

Which isn't necessarily wrong.  I personally believe the earth is millions of years old, but that man is ~6,000 years old, based on the Bible which is infallible.

Yes, it's objectively wrong. This isn't a matter of personal belief.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:02 PM »

Yes, it's objectively wrong. This isn't a matter of personal belief.

The only part where there's room for disagreement is how much of the electorate they make up.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:24 AM »

Good one.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 03:23:26 AM »

Apples and Oranges, how can you compare Gore and Romney? The Economy was roaring along in 2000; Gore had all the advantages that Obama had; experience and despite being endowed with all these advantages, this genius managed to piss it all away; unlike the situation with Romney, the election was Gore’s to lose and boy did he manage to do it;

[more idiotic nonsense]

I thought Romney was sure to win because of Obama's awful economy and Benghazi coverups and whatnot…?

With this kind of rapid-fire change of position, it's no surprise you like Romney.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »

Apples and Oranges, how can you compare Gore and Romney? The Economy was roaring along in 2000; Gore had all the advantages that Obama had; experience and despite being endowed with all these advantages, this genius managed to piss it all away; unlike the situation with Romney, the election was Gore’s to lose and boy did he manage to do it;

[more idiotic nonsense]

I thought Romney was sure to win because of Obama's awful economy and Benghazi coverups and whatnot…?

With this kind of rapid-fire change of position, it's no surprise you like Romney.

He was sure Romney would win. The moronic communist pollster known as PPP was all the way wrong.

Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »

It's not going to happen.

He's been out of office for a long time.

There were some allegation of sexual harassment, prior to his divorce.

He made about 30 million dollars selling Current TV to Al Jazeera.

A loss in the primary would hurt his reputation, so it's not a risk worth taking.

If Democrats want to nominate someone elderly, Hillary Clinton has high approval ratings. Joe Biden can take credit for averting the fiscal cliff.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2013, 12:06:46 PM by Frodo »

He made about 30 million dollars selling Current TV to Al Jazeera.

Which in turn is owned by the emir of Qatar, a key oil and natural gas producer.  That won't reflect well in the eyes of his environmentalist supporters and global warming true believers.  
Lupo
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »

I don't think the nation's condition would be all that different had Gore won in 2000.  He likely would've avoided the Iraq debacle, saving countless American lives and dollars, but he still would've gotten much of the blame for the 2008 credit collapse just as Bush did.  

I fail to see the exceptional "genius" of which the original poster speaks.  

Gore's negatives are very high.  There are scores of Democrats much better for 2016.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »

Tell me more about the psyhco drama of the Clinton administration and how it was more detrimental to America than the Bush years...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »

and has a net worth more than Romney at this point.

wow I would NOT at all have guessed that. 

as for the OP I would in some sense support Gore purely out of 90s/2000 nostalgia... I was the unofficial 'leader' of a pro-Gore faction in my 5th grade class, whilst one of the two 'leaders' of the pro-Bush faction was a beautiful Episcopalian girl who I managed to take on one date last summer, after the 12 years of languishing.  so for all that, I'd support Al, but all of this I am sure is furthest from his mind.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

and has a net worth more than Romney at this point.

wow I would NOT at all have guessed that. 

Yep:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://swampland.time.com/2013/01/24/no-nashville-blues/
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

I think he's done now. The highest I can see him in the future is maybe head of the EPA under a Democratic administration in 2017.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »

Well to be fair, many people have speculated that Romney's net worth was higher than that.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-10-05/opinions/35500772_1_private-equity-private-equity-firms-mitt-romney
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies