Should Bushie go to a hipster church next week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should Bushie go to a hipster church next week?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should Bushie go to a hipster church next week?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Should Bushie go to a hipster church next week?  (Read 1728 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2013, 02:08:52 AM »

Yes, something that came to me today. Imagine Bushie trying to fit in amongst hipsters. It'd be perfect for a new episode! Maybe we'll also discover that he actually likes some band like Arcade Fire after hearing them on the soundsystem's playlist playing before and after the service (and all the snickers that would happen after he asked who they were.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

If it were a step towards the reasonable policy of abandoning church attendance altogether, I would certainly say yes.  But, alas, it would probably not be such a step - more likely a step towards embroilment in some horrific cult.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:33 AM »

What exactly is the purpose of a "hipster church"? Why not just call it a party, concert, or a show?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »

If it were a step towards the reasonable policy of abandoning church attendance altogether, I would certainly say yes.  But, alas, it would probably not be such a step - more likely a step towards embroilment in some horrific cult.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'd much prefer to see him use the time for something objectively productive, but it's his life. Not like everything I do is objectively productive either.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 10:34:53 AM »

If you keep talking about the hipster church and get Bushie to join, wouldn't it become too mainstream?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 10:38:01 AM »

The Hipster church has been hyped way too much on this forum to be hipster anymore. It's just a mainstream church that has a liberal worship practices.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »

He's already a Southern Baptist, so you might consider it an improvement, even if ever so slight.

What exactly is the purpose of a "hipster church"? Why not just call it a party, concert, or a show?

Huh

Because it's not any of those. It's an actual church service, with a sermon and communion if they're doing it that week.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

The Hipster church has been hyped way too much on this forum to be hipster anymore. It's just a mainstream church that has a liberal worship practices.

Looks like it's time to take the skinny jeans to a new place of worship.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »

So I guess Andrew and Duke agree with this guy: http://edmundmitchell.com/2012/06/18/all-hipsters-eventually-become-catholic/
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:25:28 PM »

It turns out there's only one Vineyard in SLC. Of course not all Vineyards are hipsterish, so I had to check it out: http://www.oasisvineyard.org

Pastor's an old...but the front page does have a guy with a sleeve of tattoos and what looks like a band shirt on it, and some cute girls in hoodies, so probably better than whereever he's going now.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »

TL:DR:DC
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

I love it when you get sassy.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 02:41:32 PM »

It turns out there's only one Vineyard in SLC. Of course not all Vineyards are hipsterish, so I had to check it out: http://www.oasisvineyard.org

Pastor's an old...but the front page does have a guy with a sleeve of tattoos and what looks like a band shirt on it, and some cute girls in hoodies, so probably better than whereever he's going now.

I'm friendly with a California dude; met in grad school, who goes to vineyard places. In his facebook feed he is always railing about the gheys being disordered or other nonsense. He has tattoos too but apparently actually reads and accepts all of his bible verbatim.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 03:31:16 PM »

Purple heart
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »

I'm friendly with a California dude; met in grad school, who goes to vineyard places. In his facebook feed he is always railing about the gheys being disordered or other nonsense. He has tattoos too but apparently actually reads and accepts all of his bible verbatim.

Not surprising. They are an odd little cult that in some of it's branches does it's best to give itself a modern veneer even if it adheres to an archaic and destructive view of a persons worth.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

I know plenty of hipster church people who wear band shirts and have tattoos. A friend of mine goes to one of them. I attended one Sunday and left eventually when their members acted offended when I mentioned gay friends of mine. So they're still detestable and really don't follow the true teachings of Christ.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

Not surprising. They are an odd little cult that in some of it's branches does it's best to give itself a modern veneer even if it adheres to an archaic and destructive view of a persons worth.

I by no means follow or believe in all of the Catholic church's teachings, but at least they are fairly upfront about my they oppose homosexual actions and marriage. Seems a lot of the these churches engage in some subterfuge. Hipster Jesus and Buddy Christ is everyone's best pal and they completely wallpaper over inconvenient things actually found in the articles of incorporation.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 07:05:57 PM »

He has tattoos too but apparently actually reads and accepts all of his bible verbatim.

That's not possible (unless he got the tattoos at a time when he didn't buy into that.)

I by no means follow or believe in all of the Catholic church's teachings, but at least they are fairly upfront about my they oppose homosexual actions and marriage. Seems a lot of the these churches engage in some subterfuge. Hipster Jesus and Buddy Christ is everyone's best pal and they completely wallpaper over inconvenient things actually found in the articles of incorporation.

Or maybe it's just not a big deal? After all if my views were so unacceptable, along with those of many others who go there (including one of the interns based on her Facebook), there would have to be at some point when the shoe drops and they try to brainwash us out of our liberal thinking and pro-gay views, right?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:10 AM »

He has tattoos too but apparently actually reads and accepts all of his bible verbatim.

That's not possible (unless he got the tattoos at a time when he didn't buy into that.)

Or maybe it's just not a big deal? After all if my views were so unacceptable, along with those of many others who go there (including one of the interns based on her Facebook), there would have to be at some point when the shoe drops and they try to brainwash us out of our liberal thinking and pro-gay views, right?

The one who is so quick to judge others inconsistencies claims the its not a big deal defense? I have no problem with hypocrisy as long as it is self aware.

And yes there is a distinct case you are in the farm system of someone elses agenda. They already got their claws into enough to fire off their jargon. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2013, 01:04:26 AM »

You might remember that this was a big issue in Minnesota recently thanks to that amendment vote, of which the Catholic Church was the biggest funder of the campaign for. You'd think any church big on passing that would at least talk about it in code...actually no not a peep. Aside from one of the pastors in private telling me he was voting no.

Mind you I actually have not gone to that Vineyard church much lately but rather a non-denominational one nearby (literally walking distances) with services in the afternoon (sleep in) that had a booth at Minnesota Pride Fest and had a pastor who attended this ordination and invited the guy to speak at series next month. Congregation is still largely incredibly stereotypical hipsters and has had only one person over 40 ever preach, and during one series were encouraging people to use smartphones to post comments on Twitter during the sermon.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »

To put things into perspective, this is listed as a favorite quote on someone there's Facebook profile who prior to the election mostly just posted lots of things in support of gay marriage (or about how evil Mitt Romney is):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:17 AM »

I just want to clarify at no point in time did I ever find this funny. I might have gone mad, but I never lost my sanity, I can assure you.

No. He should go to church though.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 12:08:24 AM »

BRTD, do you believe God ever wants us to undergo hardship, endure suffering, and voluntarily make sacrifices (without ulterior motives for doing so)?

The reason I ask is because a quote like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

seems to assume God doesn't ever intend for us to get sick and die. Isn't hoping for life after death (eternal life) a crucial point to Christianity?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies