Are you giving up anything for Lent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:54:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Are you giving up anything for Lent?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: the season of preparation for Easter
Yes

No

Haven't decided, yet

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Are you giving up anything for Lent?  (Read 4270 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:54:48 PM »

Breaking news: A stick of dynamite calls gunpowder explosive.

I would normally ignore this kind of thing, of course, because it's beneath intelligence, but sometimes the drama queen stuff goes on and on, spreading, and it gets hard to ignore when it's not contained to one spot, like the Forum Community board. You, for instance, troll, then calls others a troll. You demean with one-line, one-sentence remarks literally on a continuous basis, then tell others to get over themselves. It's really endless. And I'm going to just stop there. Maybe adult conversation and differing points of view are hard for you?

Whatever, man. Whatever. That's already far too much attention given to you.

I actually have a(n) (un)healthily low opinion of myself, but whatever.

You're missing the point, as you have a habit of doing. Your post was self-satisfied drivel designed to demonstrate your 'rational' superiority over all those dimwits out there who find meaning in ritual, tradition and ceremony. It was arrogant and unpleasant. And pointless. A great big FYCK YOU DAD!!!!!!!!111 with no content whatsoever. You could have left things at 'well no' and, frankly, should have done.

That's all.

I apologise if the above post is even nastier than normal. I have had a ghastly day (for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the latest forum tehdrama, I should note) and am in a bad mood. I just find that particular attitude so aggressively dull sometimes. That's all.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2013, 10:58:16 PM by DemPGH »

Breaking news: A stick of dynamite calls gunpowder explosive.

I would normally ignore this kind of thing, of course, because it's beneath intelligence, but sometimes the drama queen stuff goes on and on, spreading, and it gets hard to ignore when it's not contained to one spot, like the Forum Community board. You, for instance, troll, then calls others a troll. You demean with one-line, one-sentence remarks literally on a continuous basis, then tell others to get over themselves. It's really endless. And I'm going to just stop there. Maybe adult conversation and differing points of view are hard for you?

Whatever, man. Whatever. That's already far too much attention given to you.

I actually have a(n) (un)healthily low opinion of myself, but whatever.

You're missing the point, as you have a habit of doing. Your post was self-satisfied drivel designed to demonstrate your 'rational' superiority over all those dimwits out there who find meaning in ritual, tradition and ceremony. It was arrogant and unpleasant. And pointless. A great big FYCK YOU DAD!!!!!!!!111 with no content whatsoever. You could have left things at 'well no' and, frankly, should have done.

That's all.

I apologise if the above post is even nastier than normal. I have had a ghastly day (for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with the latest forum tehdrama, I should note) and am in a bad mood. I just find that particular attitude so aggressively dull sometimes. That's all.

I'm sorry you blew this up, so I am done after this reply. 

Talk about missing the point, that's not what I said. I'll recap: I made a remark about the Medieval tradition of Lent being couched in social control after making the suggestion that it is not necessary to make "sacrifices" if there is no tangible benefit to doing so. If you find THAT offensive enough to warrant a tantrum despite how your day went, I might suggest the self-help section.

If faith or tradition cannot be challenged, and warrant your response when they are, on what philosophical grounds do faith and tradition then stand? (rhetorical question)

Now what I'd like for you to do in the future is just try to converse with people or refute what people say, but you needn't be obnoxious unless you're looking for a reason to be. You can always just present your own point of view, even if it differs. That's why many of us enjoy coming here. Otherwise, you only come off this way:

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 02:25:37 AM »

DemPGH, who is this supposed medieval pope who invented a tradition of Lenten fast that predates the medieval era, and is practiced by Asian and African churches that were never under the authority of the bishop of Rome?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

DemPGH, who is this supposed medieval pope who invented a tradition of Lenten fast that predates the medieval era, and is practiced by Asian and African churches that were never under the authority of the bishop of Rome?

Okay, I'll give you some information and a citation. And you're more than free to accept or reject, but it's fairly obvious that the problems that a few people have had and do have do not center on me being arrogant, self-worshiping, etc., but rather their own evident hyper sensitivity combined with cognitive dissonance and maybe some gaps in knowledge. Maybe maturity as well. Otherwise, they would quite simply just present an argument, because I know a number of conservative Protestants who are fully capable of an open conversation about religion without losing it or having a crisis. At any rate. . .

1) Lent is not in the Bible, and has clear Pagan origins
2) Lent as we have it was not established until the middle 4th century
3) Pope Gregory invented Ash Wednesday
4) Rules and traditions regarding Lent changed all through the middle ages as determined by whoever was pope and who got to make the rules under claims of "infallibility."
5) As a side note, Bart Ehrman says that the Bible as we have it now was not considered authoritative until around 370.  (The Lost Scriptures) This has allowed me to argue that Constantine and those after him invented the religion of Christianity. Not the original message, now, but rather the religion. I make a distinction there.

http://www.cogwriter.com/lent.htm

That's all I was referring to! Nothing really even controversial there. Definitely not worth having an epileptic over.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »

When does Lent start this year anyway?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:34 PM »

I going to refrain from calling the religiouses' beliefs stupid for the duration. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »

Western churches for which Easter this year is 31 March:
Latin Rite: Ash Wednesday is 15 February
Ambrosian Rite: Lent starts on Sunday, 19 February

Eastern churches for which Easter this year is 5 May:
Greek Rite: Clean Monday is 18 March
Coptic Rite: Great Lent begins Monday, 11 March
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

Western churches for which Easter this year is 31 March:
Latin Rite: Ash Wednesday is 15 13 February

It has to be a Wednesday Wink

In answer to the question, yes, but I haven't decided exactly what it will be quite yet.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »

Okay, I'll give you some information and a citation. And you're more than free to accept or reject, but it's fairly obvious that the problems that a few people have had and do have do not center on me being arrogant, self-worshiping, etc., but rather their own evident hyper sensitivity combined with cognitive dissonance and maybe some gaps in knowledge. Maybe maturity as well. Otherwise, they would quite simply just present an argument, because I know a number of conservative Protestants who are fully capable of an open conversation about religion without losing it or having a crisis. At any rate. . .

1) Lent is not in the Bible, and has clear Pagan origins
2) Lent as we have it was not established until the middle 4th century
3) Pope Gregory invented Ash Wednesday
4) Rules and traditions regarding Lent changed all through the middle ages as determined by whoever was pope and who got to make the rules under claims of "infallibility."
5) As a side note, Bart Ehrman says that the Bible as we have it now was not considered authoritative until around 370.  (The Lost Scriptures) This has allowed me to argue that Constantine and those after him invented the religion of Christianity. Not the original message, now, but rather the religion. I make a distinction there.

http://www.cogwriter.com/lent.htm

That's all I was referring to! Nothing really even controversial there. Definitely not worth having an epileptic over.

The early councils and edicts were typically institutionalizing things that already existed in a more vernacular form.  The aim was standardization and resolution of controversies - not usually to invent anything new except through synthesis of the opposing sides.  Constantine's rise led to many transformations in the church, but his role can be overstated.  Most basic Christian doctrines and practices that existed after Constantine existed long before Constantine as well.
List of canonical texts had variations in the early church of the 2nd and 3rd centuries, but the lists generally confirmed to our own with a few additions or omissions.

Lent is not in the bible, but it does have biblical influences behind it that were adapted to pre-existing pagan forms. Sure, the details were changed by popes as they began to have more influence, but still sometimes people followed what they had been doing before instead of following the popes.  I don't believe that by itself says anything about whether Lent observance is a worthwhile practice - except that it is something that many Christians adopted and found valuable to their spiritual lives through the centuries, and so is worth considering.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

no
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length