Free Speech (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:34:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Free Speech (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free Speech  (Read 9905 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: January 30, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »
« edited: January 30, 2013, 11:59:19 AM by Torie »

Al's question was about free speech. Sure, reposting, even elsewhere, something that has been infracted is not appropriate. The poster should have attempted to get the infraction removed first, pain in the ass that, that might be. The speech question here is more difficult. It is about the infracting the impish "joke" in the first instance. Just how long a leash is appropriate, and should it be an adjustable leash?  And as to those questions/issues, there is no readily discernible answer or solution to that really.

My style would have been to put up a post asking the Board if they really wanted all that jive on their board, and if not, would folks please stop doing it, or delete, or whatever, appealing to reason and comity. I view moderators as facilitators, just trying to make this system work, and keep folks overall reasonably happy, within the TOS. Personally, to me it appeared in all good fun, and nobody seemed to mind, so in that instant case, I probably would have done nothing. But the point is these subjective judgment calls, all come down to moderator style and perspective I guess. Inks has a rather bright line approach. I am more, fuzzy, wuzzy, and try to take a more holistic approach, or whatever the appropriate psychobabble word is.

Participants here are just going to have to learn, that in the real world, up to a point, one needs to try to adapt to the different styles of those with some authority, even if you don't like the style much. We are all different.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »

Just how long a leash is appropriate, and should it be an adjustable leash?  

Really, my man, the imagery you choose is quite disturbing.

You are such a sensitive soul opebo. You would never cut it as a lawyer. Smiley

Anyway, that is what we are assigned to do really - leash. Authority is sort of like democracy - it sucks, but it's typically better than the alternatives.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:00:01 PM »

Just how long a leash is appropriate, and should it be an adjustable leash?  

Really, my man, the imagery you choose is quite disturbing.

It's an insight into the man, you see. 

Hey, old man, at least you know where I am coming from. I'm an open book!  Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »

And I shall gladly accept the accolade, though I should point out that I compared Inks to a nazi character in a movie. I feel this doesn't really conform to Godwin's Law. Can we have an expert's take on this?

Way off topic, but I was thinking of that Spencer Tracy movie when I read your post.  What the hell was that?  Burt Lancaster was in it too.  Well, anyway, it's a decent movie.  Spencer Tracy is a retired Mainer bumpkin JOP enlisted to preside over the trials of some former German court judges.  Colonel Klink was in it as well, but long before he was Colonel Klink. 

No one has ever escaped from Stalag 13!

They were trying Nazi's at Nuremberg actually, and Tracy did not want to go soft just because the new enemy was now the USSR, and not the former Nazi's. Or something like that. I remember it as quite a riveting movie.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies