Australia - 7 September 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:38:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia - 7 September 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57
Author Topic: Australia - 7 September 2013  (Read 157176 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »

Pie Guy! Cheesy
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1151 on: September 03, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

I never understood the rancour over the pie thing. He was short-tempered, but compared to things like Abbott punching walls next to people's heads, it's nothing Tongue

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1152 on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:21 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2013, 10:38:55 PM by Senator Polnut »

Shorten should only be leader in the event of a blow-out loss... that way, we can be rid of him. A smaller loss will require a leader who can take it to the Libs - considering Shorten's pretty sub-par performance this election shows, he's not a good public performer when HE'S under pressure. Had Combet not quit, I think it would have been his for the taking.

Otherwise it'll be Albo, Clare or Bowen... is it really terrible to think that Burke is out of the running purely because of the lisp?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1153 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:49 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2013, 10:49:22 PM by Platypus »

If I could choose, i'd go with Mark Dreyfus. He's not a great professional politician, but he's a very smart, very hard-working, and easily trusted man. Put him in, give him 6 years as opposition leader, and save the Labor Party.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1154 on: September 04, 2013, 12:57:12 AM »

but Denison I would like to see more polling in. If the national mood wasn't for a change of government, I think it would be a lean to Labor, but as that isn't the case, I assume Wilkie will hold on. But it's all on gut, having done any proper analysis.
Polling has shown Labor coming third here and they're preferencing the Libs ahead of Wilkie. If anyone else is going to win Denison apart from Wilkie, it will be the Liberal candidate.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1155 on: September 04, 2013, 01:05:53 AM »

but Denison I would like to see more polling in. If the national mood wasn't for a change of government, I think it would be a lean to Labor, but as that isn't the case, I assume Wilkie will hold on. But it's all on gut, having done any proper analysis.
Polling has shown Labor coming third here and they're preferencing the Libs ahead of Wilkie. If anyone else is going to win Denison apart from Wilkie, it will be the Liberal candidate.

Labor are preferencing the Liberals in Denison over Wilkie? Where'd you hear about this? And surely Wilkie is closer to them ideologically than the Liberals...
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1156 on: September 04, 2013, 01:10:15 AM »

Labor are preferencing the Liberals in Denison over Wilkie? Where'd you hear about this? And surely Wilkie is closer to them ideologically than the Liberals...

Kevin bonham
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1157 on: September 04, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »

I suspect Labor's thinking is: "If we preference the Liberals, and they win the seat, we'll win it off them in three years. If we preference Wilkie, we will have to contest against him again in future elections."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1158 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »

Polling in Tasmania is not very reliable anyway. This is because Tasmanians are good people.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1159 on: September 04, 2013, 09:49:27 AM »

As for LaTrobe, it's in my handful of seats to keep watching before I lock in my final prediction.  It's borderline, I think.

It's the kind of seat that 'ought' to be lost (so a hold would be an 'upset') but might not be, after all.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1160 on: September 04, 2013, 09:55:54 AM »

Following the good people line, undecided Victorians will break more heavily ALP than the rest of the country, which is why Deakin and LaTrobe are hard to predict - I suspect both have abnormally high levels of swinging voters, and both will break Labor relative to the nation. But the question is how big that gap will be.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1161 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »

Absolutely a lefty bias, but SO DAMN CORRECT:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/04/tony-abbott-daughters-big-brother
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1162 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
« Edited: September 04, 2013, 10:38:44 AM by hifly15 »

Van Badham's probably just envious that no-one thinks that she's attractive. On the other hand, I don't think one can deny that Mr Abbott's daughters are very pretty.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1163 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »

WTF moment: some Labor strategists are suggesting an explicit concession in order to swing some tight marginals? I suspect this BS is coming from former Gillardites. Also, albeit implicitly, from Beattie. Rudd: Many v few.

Aw shucks moment: Gillard-Abbott détente.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1164 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »

If they aren't named, the journalist probably made it up.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1165 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

I hope this is geoblocked, because it is the most uncomfortable 31 minutes in history:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/42132
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1166 on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »

Speaking of former Gillardites, PVO demolishes their claim that things were improving till Rudd started destabilizing again. Also, Labor could be without a permanent leader for weeks. Don't think that's a huge deal myself.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1167 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:53 AM »

I hope this is geoblocked, because it is the most uncomfortable 31 minutes in history:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/42132
Be comforted, it is.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1168 on: September 04, 2013, 11:51:36 AM »

Van Badham's probably just envious that no-one thinks that she's attractive. On the other hand, I don't think one can deny that Mr Abbott's daughters are very pretty.

Jesus Christ.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1169 on: September 04, 2013, 11:53:41 AM »

I certainly can deny that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1170 on: September 04, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »

Let's... call a halt to this line of discussion, yes?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1171 on: September 04, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »

Indeed, I fail to see much of a difference compared to the real tl.

(Sorry. This bizarre election - brought to you courtesy of the Australian electoral system which makes it really hard to punish a major party if the opposition also at least kind of sucks - is bringing out the worst in me.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1172 on: September 04, 2013, 12:14:41 PM »

Victoria - Coalition & Other

Melbourne - basically this depends on how loyal Liberal voters are to their cards. So it's basically not possible to call it with any safety, though a Labor gain from the Greens is more likely on a balance of probabilities basis. Either way, an anti-Coalition seat.

Aston - this seat is prone to absurdly large swings (back in 2004 it was the 'safest' Liberal seat in Melbourne IIRC) and, given the general tone of the election, will presumably deliver one in the general direction of the Coalition.

Dunkley - the follies of one of its state MPs can hardly be welcome for the incumbent given the tight margin here, and if there is an against-the-grain result in Victoria it would presumably be here... but I don't think such a result is likely.

McMillan - should be safe enough, given the election.

Higgins - no chance.

Indi - a safe Liberal seat under threat from a Natdependent (as part of a baroque response/revenge for the Liberals contesting Mallee?). I don't know enough to make a serious prediction, but I'll call Independent gain for the sake of hilarity (Mirabella being an objectively awful human being and all that). The result will have no impact on the wider result.

Mallee - in what the Nationals presumably regard as a dick move, the Liberals are contesting this open Nationals seat. In what the Nationals presumably regard as an act of malicious trolling, Labor are directing preferences to the Liberal. The last time Mallee was open the same thing happened and the Nationals nearly lost the seat. Will tentatively call a Nationals hold regardless, as they have a very strong candidate.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1173 on: September 04, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »

Teddy's predicting a 97-50-3 result.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1174 on: September 04, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

I don't like his Western Australia prediction. Maybe under Gillard, but not now.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies