southern democrat question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:48:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  southern democrat question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: southern democrat question  (Read 4537 times)
kfseattle
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2004, 01:53:06 PM »

One of things i find interesting about american politics is the fact that the south kept voting for Democratic presidential candidates well into the 20th Century...like going for Adlai Stevenson all those years instead of Eisenhower...
This was largely due to the "Lincoln effect", from what I understand...that is, southerners didn't want to support the party of the President who defeated the Confederacy and freed the slaves and all that...
Now, of course, people in the south have mostly figured it out and vote republican--which is the party that they feel best supports their ideology.
But the democrats still have southern strongholds...little outcroppings here and there of intense democratic support.  
To what extent, I wonder, do these democrats represent people who are still clinging to the "I'll never vote republican" dogma?  In other words, are these people really republicans, ideologically?  
(Note: I'm falling back on the generally accepted modern definition of Republican and Democrat, of course, which I'm not saying isn't problematic)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »

Most of the strong Democratic support in the South comes from minorities.  The few enclaves are the same ones you'd find anywhere.  You'll find strong Republican support in a good chunk of MA just like you'd find Democratic support in GA.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 05:16:30 PM »

LBJ changed everything. Big spending and Civil Rights turned the South against the Democrats.

The trend I think started in 1956 with Eisenhower winning Louisiana, the first Republican since 1876 to do so. 1964 gave Barry Goldwater the entire deep south (and mostly nothing else). The3 final nail in the coffin for the Solid South was Wallace in 1968. His right wing views finally ended the Democratic Controll on the Deep South.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 09:38:09 PM »

One of things i find interesting about american politics is the fact that the south kept voting for Democratic presidential candidates well into the 20th Century...like going for Adlai Stevenson all those years instead of Eisenhower...
This was largely due to the "Lincoln effect", from what I understand...that is, southerners didn't want to support the party of the President who defeated the Confederacy and freed the slaves and all that...
Now, of course, people in the south have mostly figured it out and vote republican--which is the party that they feel best supports their ideology.
But the democrats still have southern strongholds...little outcroppings here and there of intense democratic support.  
To what extent, I wonder, do these democrats represent people who are still clinging to the "I'll never vote republican" dogma?  In other words, are these people really republicans, ideologically?  
(Note: I'm falling back on the generally accepted modern definition of Republican and Democrat, of course, which I'm not saying isn't problematic)

Yes their are a few who still vote that way! I know a few. Also they vote Democrat because they hate Hoover and blame him for the Depression. Even though their social ideals are Republican.
tigerfan04
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 07:11:11 PM »

People in my hometown vote for democrats in local elections, but republican in national elections.  This, however, is only because at the local level in Darlington county, no republicans run for office, at least not in 2000.  Most people, white and black are socially conservative, but most black residents are poor, and vote for the party that favors more programs to aid them.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 05:19:03 PM »

"Follow the money."

Of course the Democratic Party's Southern sect was violently anti-black.  This does account for alot of the Party's lock on the South through the 20th Century.

But so far FDR has only been lightly aluded to...and he's the biggest impetus behind the Democrats' staying power in the South: The New Deal's agricultural policies are still as much sacred cows to the rural South as is Social Security.  These are folks who didn't like the liberalization of the Party.  They didn't like its Dovish turn.  They sure didn't like its adoption of Civil Rights.

But they're still taking the subsidy checks...and still voting for them--trying to keep their way of life from drying up.  Republicans haven't endeared themselves in being pro-free trade, either.  It's only in the white urban and suburban centers of the South that the Republican transformation really has strong roots.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 08:52:59 AM »

But they're still taking the subsidy checks...and still voting for them--trying to keep their way of life from drying up.  Republicans haven't endeared themselves in being pro-free trade, either.  It's only in the white urban and suburban centers of the South that the Republican transformation really has strong roots.

Exactly
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 01:34:18 PM »

I think that the Civil Rights movement was he deciding factor.

Southerners began to (and unfairly) labeling all Democrats as tools of the liberal Yankees in new York and Massachusettes. This gave men like Goldwater and Wallace, those who opposed Civil Rights, strong holds in the South.

Nixon's "Southern Strategy" gave him the South by opposing bussing and neghborhood integration.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 01:36:41 PM »

there is more democrats in NC then Republicans.. ..  like most of the old people are democrats, but they are really republicans..
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 01:38:46 PM »

there is more democrats in NC then Republicans.. ..  like most of the old people are democrats, but they are really republicans..

It's tradition that holds them to their party.

My grandmother is Conservative, even more than me, but she is voting for John Kerry in November. She says her grandfather, and her father, and her mother were all Democrats, so she is. Smiley
Niles Caulder

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 12:08:57 AM »

It's said that when LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act, he said, "I have now destroyed the Democratic Party in the South."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 01:34:25 AM »

My grandmother is Conservative, even more than me, but she is voting for John Kerry in November. She says her grandfather, and her father, and her mother were all Democrats, so she is. Smiley

I know dozens of Florida Crackers like that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 03:20:27 PM »

There's not too much of that here. .  . . remember, Kerry doesn't even need a third of the white vote to carry MS, but the polls show him way down.  So obviously the old-timey Democrats vote Republican now.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2004, 02:43:21 AM »

"Follow the money."

Of course the Democratic Party's Southern sect was violently anti-black.  This does account for alot of the Party's lock on the South through the 20th Century.

But so far FDR has only been lightly aluded to...and he's the biggest impetus behind the Democrats' staying power in the South: The New Deal's agricultural policies are still as much sacred cows to the rural South as is Social Security.  These are folks who didn't like the liberalization of the Party.  They didn't like its Dovish turn.  They sure didn't like its adoption of Civil Rights.

It was with FDR that the Democrats began winning the black vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2004, 06:53:11 AM »

There's not too much of that here. .  . . remember, Kerry doesn't even need a third of the white vote to carry MS, but the polls show him way down.  So obviously the old-timey Democrats vote Republican now.

Or don't bother voting anymore
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2005, 06:59:21 PM »

"Follow the money."

Of course the Democratic Party's Southern sect was violently anti-black.  This does account for alot of the Party's lock on the South through the 20th Century.

But so far FDR has only been lightly aluded to...and he's the biggest impetus behind the Democrats' staying power in the South: The New Deal's agricultural policies are still as much sacred cows to the rural South as is Social Security.  These are folks who didn't like the liberalization of the Party.  They didn't like its Dovish turn.  They sure didn't like its adoption of Civil Rights.

But they're still taking the subsidy checks...and still voting for them--trying to keep their way of life from drying up.  Republicans haven't endeared themselves in being pro-free trade, either.  It's only in the white urban and suburban centers of the South that the Republican transformation really has strong roots.

It was with FDR that the Democrats began winning the black vote.
The majority of blacks voted for Eisenhower in 1956.  Though FDR and Truman got the black vote, it wasn't till Kennedy that the alliance between blacks and the Democratic Party was back.  Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey in turn completely solidified the alliance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies