Who Will Drop Out before NH Primary? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:18:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who Will Drop Out before NH Primary? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who Will Drop Out before NH Primary?  (Read 10024 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« on: December 10, 2003, 01:16:04 AM »

I would say Lieberman also.  He's nowhere right now, and I really don't see him getting anywhere with Gore's endorsement of Dean (actually, I never saw him getting anywhere before that either).

After Lieberman, I see Kerry dropping out next, but not before New Hampshire.  Kerry's campaign, like Lieberman's but to a lesser degree, has fallen flat and he has little chance of winning the nomination.

That leaves Gephardt and Clark as the possible "anti-Dean" candidates.  I'm betting Gephardt has the best chance to "unseat" Dean from his frontrunner status, but that won't be easy.  Clark, who looked good at first, is falling fast in the polls and is beginning to look like Lieberman and Kerry=he's going nowhere fast.

I think Lieberman is really the only candidate left who could beat Dean (maybe Clark too).  He benefits from not really having a must-win state; Gephardt suffers from being yolked to Iowa.

If I had to guess which candidate is going to drop out before New Hampshire I'd say Gephardt.  He's the only one who's really got anything at stake in Iowa.  Unfornately for Gephardt, he's probably not going to win there.

Next will be Kerry.  I think he might even finish a humiliating third place in New Hampshire which will completely kill his candidacy.  Its conceivable that Gephardt could survive a close loss in Iowa, but John Kerry can't afford a landslide loss in New Hampshire.  If Clark finishes second that will give him a big boost.

It's anyone's guess who's going to win South Carolina.  I suppose Edwards will probably stay in.  Clark could win SC.  Dean could, too, or even Sharpton.

In any case, by the time Feb. 3 rolls around, Gephardt and Kerry are going to be toast.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2003, 05:00:57 PM »

I think the vanity candidates (Kucinich, Braun, Sharpton) are all going to be in the race until the convention.  Also, I think Edwards might stay in until then end considering that he doesn't really have anything to lose.  Same thing for Dean.  Even if things start going terribly awry for Dean, I think he'll stay in the race til the end.  All the others:  Clark, Gephardt, Lieberman, Kerry, will probably drop out long before the convention as Dean crushes each one in their respective must-win states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies