Despite being awash in guns Houston TEXAS ranks number one for burglaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:47:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Despite being awash in guns Houston TEXAS ranks number one for burglaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Despite being awash in guns Houston TEXAS ranks number one for burglaries  (Read 4626 times)
Link
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8941653

How come our gun nut friends don't point to this wonderful success story?  All I see is Chicago, Chicago, Chicago.  Well what about Houston?  All that concealed carry and pickups with rifle ranks doesn't seem to have solved their burglary issues.  I guess this is the Texas miracle where you buy guns and burglars don't care and still rob you.

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »

I guess this is the Texas miracle where you buy guns and burglars don't care and still rob you.

Robbery and burglary are not the same thing, despite what the original poster says or thinks.

Chicago, at 14213 robberies, has far more than Houston, and many more homicides, too. They don't even publish forcible rape, but according to Illinois, they have double the number of what they call criminal sexual assaults.

Congratulations.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »

I guess this is the Texas miracle where you buy guns and burglars don't care and still rob you.

Robbery and burglary are not the same thing, despite what the original poster says or thinks.

Chicago, at 14213 robberies, has far more than Houston, and many more homicides, too. They don't even publish forcible rape, but according to Illinois, they have double the number of what they call criminal sexual assaults.

Congratulations.
Funny how no one ever mentions Chicago or Washington D.C.
Link
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »

Robbery and burglary are not the same thing...

I see.  I guess that makes everything okay in Houston.  Thank goodness.  For a minute there I was worried.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 09:10:24 PM »

I see.  I guess that makes everything okay in Houston.  Thank goodness.  For a minute there I was worried.

Just admit you made a dumb mistake and move on.
Link
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:48 PM »

I believe the title of the thread is Houston ranks number one in the nation for burglaries despite being awash in guns.  Is that statement true or false?

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »

Interesting. Of those states, 3/4 allow concealed and carry: in Arizona you don't even need a permit, in Texas you have to get a permit, in NY you have to establish cause, and only Illinois does not grant concealed and carry, although I understand it is disputed, and in Illinois' case, the SCOTUS eviscerated the city of Chicago's ability to control firearms. This is an indictment against concealed and carry, IMO.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:19 PM »

Where are the Houston gun ownership statistics?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:31 PM »

Burglary is when people enter a location illegally to commit a crime. You know, the situation that having assault weapons in the home is supposed to protect you from.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »

Burglary is when people enter a location illegally to commit a crime. You know, the situation that having assault weapons in the home is supposed to protect you from.
So what happens if the burglars, who are burglars and don't care about the law, have assault rifles and you don't. My mom's step brother was killed last year in Vero by burglars when he came home early from his sons baseball game. They shot him. He wasn't the gun owner type, but considering how the flag pole from his porch was found in the living room with bullet holes in it, we assume he fought back. Why shouldn't he or someone in his position be allowed to have a gun?
Link
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »

So what happens if the burglars, who are burglars and don't care about the law, have assault rifles and you don't.

How often is this scenario getting played out where you live?!  I have never in my life heard of a burglar showing up with an assault rifle.  With as many guns as we have floating around out there I am sure it's happened somewhere but honestly I think the chances of me being killed by eating too much red meat are way higher... and I still am quite reckless and eat a burger ever now and then.

My mom's step brother was killed last year in Vero by burglars when he came home early from his sons baseball game. They shot him. He wasn't the gun owner type, but considering how the flag pole from his porch was found in the living room with bullet holes in it, we assume he fought back. Why shouldn't he or someone in his position be allowed to have a gun?

Why is it only gangsters in the hood and right wingers have these problems?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

So what happens if the burglars, who are burglars and don't care about the law, have assault rifles and you don't. My mom's step brother was killed last year in Vero by burglars when he came home early from his sons baseball game. They shot him. He wasn't the gun owner type, but considering how the flag pole from his porch was found in the living room with bullet holes in it, we assume he fought back. Why shouldn't he or someone in his position be allowed to have a gun?

Well, you know, maybe if people couldn't get assault rifles without a serious background check, and maybe if the government was actually empowered to crack down on the small percentage of dealers making money hand over fist selling guns for import to inner cities ... maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have to worry so much about burglars with the firepower of a friggin' soldier.

But then I guess the American male would have to do something else to sate those power fantasies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »

How often is this scenario getting played out where you live?!  I have never in my life heard of a burglar showing up with an assault rifle.  With as many guns as we have floating around out there I am sure it's happened somewhere but honestly I think the chances of me being killed by eating too much red meat are way higher... and I still am quite reckless and eat a burger ever now and then.
Surprisingly, it has happened. In case you haven’t heard, West Palm Beach’s neighbor, Rivera Beach, is the drive by shooting capital of the South. I live in Boynton-not a lot of crime besides drugs and Haitian gang fights, but the feeling holds up.
Why is it only gangsters in the hood and right wingers have these problems?
So my moderate Democrat step uncle (who was apolitical) isn’t dead? So he doesn’t have the problem of being…well, dead? Where did he go Link? Is he on vacation? Is he in New Orleans for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras? Visiting Central Park in New York? Perhaps at a bluegrass festival in Live Oak? Please enlighten me on why average people are never murdered, because that’s basically what you just said.

Does anyone have Houston’s gun ownership statistics? Because I doubt its has awash with guns as you would like it to be. Texas isn’t just known for guns. It also has its fair share of idiot governors, decent Congresspeople, and wonderful BBQ.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »

So my moderate Democrat step uncle (who was apolitical) isn’t dead? So he doesn’t have the problem of being…well, dead? Where did he go Link? Is he on vacation? Is he in New Orleans for the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras? Visiting Central Park in New York? Perhaps at a bluegrass festival in Live Oak? Please enlighten me on why average people are never murdered, because that’s basically what you just said.

No one is glad your step uncle died, and no one thinks his death is any less meaningful because of his political leanings (or lack thereof). That said, there's no guarantee that he'd have lived had be been armed. Just as there's no guarantee that the monsters who shot and killed him would have had the means had they not lived in America, a country that allows even the most hardened lawbreaker the opportunity to gain access to military-grade weaponry so long as he's willing to travel to the right state and dealer.

His point is that average people are almost never murdered, which is, to be fair, absolutely true. In 2009, the murder rate dropped to 5 per 100,000, the lowest it's ever been. (That murder rate includes "non-negligent manslaughter.")

Still pretty high? Arguably. But if your uncle is white, then his likelihood to have been murdered drops even more. In New York City, for example, 96% of shooting victims are either black or latino. African Americans make up about 12% of the population, but account for over 50% of the shooting victims nationally. And since your uncle was in his home, it's also relevant to mention that if you're going to be shot and killed by a stranger, it's unlikely to happen in your own home -- only 4.8% of murders are committed there.

No one is glad your uncle died -- he got dealt a really ugly hand in the sh**ttiest lottery known to man. Sorry. But those of us who think there needs to be more regulations on gun ownership are motivated in taking guns out of the hands of the bad guys -- something the NRA is literally on the record of being against everywhere but in press releases.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:27 PM »

No one is glad your step uncle died, and no one thinks his death is any less meaningful because of his political leanings (or lack thereof). That said, there's no guarantee that he'd have lived had be been armed. Just as there's no guarantee that the monsters who shot and killed him would have had the means had they not lived in America, a country that allows even the most hardened lawbreaker the opportunity to gain access to military-grade weaponry so long as he's willing to travel to the right state and dealer.

His point is that average people are almost never murdered, which is, to be fair, absolutely true. In 2009, the murder rate dropped to 5 per 100,000, the lowest it's ever been. (That murder rate includes "non-negligent manslaughter.")

Still pretty high? Arguably. But if your uncle is white, then his likelihood to have been murdered drops even more. In New York City, for example, 96% of shooting victims are either black or latino. African Americans make up about 12% of the population, but account for over 50% of the shooting victims nationally. And since your uncle was in his home, it's also relevant to mention that if you're going to be shot and killed by a stranger, it's unlikely to happen in your own home -- only 4.8% of murders are committed there.

No one is glad your uncle died -- he got dealt a really ugly hand in the sh**ttiest lottery known to man. Sorry. But those of us who think there needs to be more regulations on gun ownership are motivated in taking guns out of the hands of the bad guys -- something the NRA is literally on the record of being against everywhere but in press releases.
For the record, I just want to point out that my experience on Atlas has been very, very pleasant even on the worst days, and I know that none of the members were attacking/mocking the events leading up to/around his death. So there is no need to apologize or treat the incident with kid gloves. My point in even bringing it up was to highlight a scenario in which you would need a gun to defend yourself. My response to Link was not heated, but actually rather sarcastic. I understand your arguments, and it is nice to see somebody posting raw facts to back up their opinion, something which I admit I rarely do. Quite frankly, you have stumped me. I guess Rivera Beach is just an exceptionally bad city Tongue
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:06 PM »

I believe the title of the thread is Houston ranks number one in the nation for burglaries despite being awash in guns.  Is that statement true or false?

The title of the thread is true. Your statement, quoted below, is nonsensical.

I guess this is the Texas miracle where you buy guns and burglars don't care and still rob you
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

Not that you leftists care, but the primary purpose is to prevent a hoodlum from raping, beating, or killing you.

Congratulations on your great success in Chicago.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »

Burglary is caused by the capitalist system (poverty) run amok, and many would say capitalism is more egregious in Houston Texas than in the other states/cities mentioned in this thread.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »

Interesting. Of those states, 3/4 allow concealed and carry: in Arizona you don't even need a permit, in Texas you have to get a permit, in NY you have to establish cause, and only Illinois does not grant concealed and carry, although I understand it is disputed, and in Illinois' case, the SCOTUS eviscerated the city of Chicago's ability to control firearms. This is an indictment against concealed and carry, IMO.

In the real world where you have facts, the city of Chicago has issued roughly 8000 permits for 2.8 million people, banning guns from 99% of the people.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »

Wonder what those burglers are stealing. As our conservative friends love to remind us, criminals don't get their guns through the legal process. And, of course, we have no way of tracking these stolen guns because any type of registry, like we have long had for automobiles, is naziism Roll Eyes
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 01:22:11 PM »

Wonder what those burglers are stealing. As our conservative friends love to remind us, criminals don't get their guns through the legal process. And, of course, we have no way of tracking these stolen guns because any type of registry, like we have long had for automobiles, is naziism Roll Eyes

Guns are far and away the number one target in any burglary - the easiest high-value item to sell on without any traceability.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

In my view, if the property is empty, it's a burglary. If it's not, it's a robbery.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »

Don't the vast majority of burglaries happen when the occupants aren't home? The owner having a gun doesn't really matter much in that situation. Other crime statistics would be more indicative of the crime prevention effect (or lack thereof) of a high rate of gun ownership. There's also the matter of there being other factors which increase or decrease the crime rate in a particular area - unemployment, poverty, etc.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

In my view, if the property is empty, it's a burglary. If it's not, it's a robbery.

Robbery. A person commits robbery when he or she knowingly takes property, except a motor vehicle covered by Section 18-3 or 18-4, from the person or presence of another by the use of force or by threatening the imminent use of force.

Burglary.
    (a) A person commits burglary when without authority he or she knowingly enters or without authority remains within a building, housetrailer, watercraft, aircraft, motor vehicle, railroad car, or any part thereof, with intent to commit therein a felony or theft. This offense shall not include the offenses set out in Section 4-102 of the Illinois Vehicle Code.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Burglaries are possible of:

residences
commercial enterprises
public buildings
boats
motor vehicles
aircraft
rail cars
truck trailers
barns
sheds and other outbuildings

Pages: [1] 2