Opinion of American drone policies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of American drone policies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you approve of using drone aircraft to kill suspected terrorists overseas?
Yes, even if they're American citizens

Yes, but only if they're not American citizens

No, regardless of citizenship

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Opinion of American drone policies  (Read 11561 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »

It's Obama's worst policy and the reason why I am no longer a Democrat a Ron Paul Republican.

When a Greenie and a Paulite agree so strongly on something, you know whoever's on the other side is  heavily in the wrong.

lol, yeah those left-wing and paultard loons who think 9/11 was an inside job must be right

IDK where you got the 9/11 part from. We're grounded enough in reality to know that wasn't an inside job.

...or at least the Greenie is. Only speaking for myself.

What a strange world we live in, where Lief supports extra-judicial killings and calls us the extremists.

Hint: If you send robots to shoot at people who've barely heard of indoor plumbing, you are the Empire. They are the bloody Ewoks.

That's ridiculous. Drones strikes have not targeted random people.  There's no evidence of that as far as I've seen.  Members of Al Qaeda are a legitimate military target and they're far from cute, cuddly characters from Star Wars. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »

Option 2.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

Extrajudicial killing should NEVER happen, period. Yes, I've no problem saying Obama disappointed me big time on "war on terror" issues.

Haven't agreed with you more! One of the fundamental liberal values is the right to a fair trial.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »

I don't think they should be pursued against American citizens, and they should be done dramatically less so than they are now with a great deal more caution being applied to where they're striking, but it's a significantly less intrusive policy than out and out invasions, and unlike the previous Administration's anti-terror policies, are actually really effective and, in another change of pace, terrorist groups are legitimately afraid of them. The unfortunate anti-terror realities come down somewhere in the middle on this one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »

I don't think they should be pursued against American citizens, and they should be done dramatically less so than they are now with a great deal more caution being applied to where they're striking, but it's a significantly less intrusive policy than out and out invasions, and unlike the previous Administration's anti-terror policies, are actually really effective and, in another change of pace, terrorist groups are legitimately afraid of them. The unfortunate anti-terror realities come down somewhere in the middle on this one.

This, basically. (Although if we're going to be doing this at all, the citizenship question doesn't really interest me much.)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »

I've done a lot reading on drones just because they fascinate me.  I support their continued use and development. 

The drone budget is the only part of the military that should be increased.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 01:15:10 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »

Extrajudicial killing should NEVER happen, period. Yes, I've no problem saying Obama disappointed me big time on "war on terror" issues.

Haven't agreed with you more! One of the fundamental liberal values is the right to a fair trial.

We are not talking about trials here. I have no problem with killing a confirmed terrorist leader, who is a walking command center. This is a legitimate military operation.

Of course it's preferable to capture such person, but it's not easy and sometimes trying to do it against unfavorable odds carries much greater risk for the military personnel and civilians than drone strike.

You guys are crying about trials, judicial oversight... does a soldier during the battle have to wait for a judicial decision before releasing his bullet? WTF?
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »

When did citizenship suddenly start exempting Americans from being enemy combatants?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »

When did citizenship suddenly start exempting Americans from being enemy combatants?

Yeah, imagine this: the Netherlands troops lands with the Allies in Normandy and faces the Flemish Waffen SS division. They don't shot back, because SS guys have, after all, the same citizenship.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »

I support their limited use in war-zones to target high-level enemies based on solid intelligence to limit collateral damage.

Unfortunately, the current policy seems to be more broad than this.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »

Obama has to do with arresting Occupy protestors? That's news to me.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 04:59:46 PM »

It's Obama's worst policy and the reason why I am no longer a Democrat a Ron Paul Republican.

When a Greenie and a Paulite agree so strongly on something, you know whoever's on the other side is  heavily in the wrong.

lol, yeah those left-wing and paultard loons who think 9/11 was an inside job must be right

IDK where you got the 9/11 part from. We're grounded enough in reality to know that wasn't an inside job.

...or at least the Greenie is. Only speaking for myself.

What a strange world we live in, where Lief supports extra-judicial killings and calls us the extremists.

Hint: If you send robots to shoot at people who've barely heard of indoor plumbing, you are the Empire. They are the bloody Ewoks.

That's ridiculous. Drones strikes have not targeted random people.  There's no evidence of that as far as I've seen.  Members of Al Qaeda are a legitimate military target and they're far from cute, cuddly characters from Star Wars. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Whoops, we found a Taliban leader, better shoot up every male 16 and up regardless of circumstance.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »

Whoops, we found a Taliban leader, better shoot up every male 16 and up regardless of circumstance.

Do you think that the US military wants to kill civilians or doesn't care about collateral damage or the risk to civilians?  They make mistakes but they don't have that cavalier attitude towards human life.  That's ridiculous. 

And if you think Al Qaeda would stop trying to kill Americans if we only comported ourselves better, you're naive. 
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »

Same here.

"Suspected terrorists..." Meaning you can't prove your suspect is a terrorist, but he looks like one so he must be one.

Isn't that profiling? (one of the things liberals are supposed to hate)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 04:17:35 AM »

How in the world can someone innocent possibly be killed by this policy? How many American tourists travel to Somalia, Syria, and Mali without visas just to get away for the weekend?

It's one thing if we planned to carry out drone strikes on suspects in Germany or Brazil, but these are enemy states we are striking here.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:54 AM »

How in the world can someone innocent possibly be killed by this policy? How many American tourists travel to Somalia, Syria, and Mali without visas just to get away for the weekend?

It's one thing if we planned to carry out drone strikes on suspects in Germany or Brazil, but these are enemy states we are striking here.

Innocent Pakistani or Yemeni civilians, maybe?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »

Innocent Pakistani or Yemeni civilians, maybe?

Seriously! If they areenemy states, make a formal declaration of war or put your little robot in the closet until you do.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

Declarations of war eliminate collateral damage?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »

Declarations of war eliminate collateral damage?

No, but it means you're evil is honest rather than dishonest.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

Same here.

"Suspected terrorists..." Meaning you can't prove your suspect is a terrorist, but he looks like one so he must be one.

Isn't that profiling? (one of the things liberals are supposed to hate)

Yes it is. Hense why I, as a liberal, hate it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2013, 01:39:42 PM »

lol, identifying someone as a terrorist is very different from pulling someone over because they're black or whatever. I mean, I'm somewhat sympathetic to the anti-drone camp, but their arguments are just so mind-numbingly stupid.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

Option 1, of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies