Vatican City 2013 papal election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:42:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Vatican City 2013 papal election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Vatican City 2013 papal election  (Read 53826 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2013, 02:40:07 PM »

I like this pick. Of course he's a social conservative, but his other features are very encouraging.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

I like this pick. Of course he's a social conservative, but his other features are very encouraging.

This is about how I'm feeling too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »

In any case they're all rather socially conservative. It's part of the job description of being a cardinal.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2013, 02:42:36 PM »

This is about how I'm feeling too.

Same for me.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »

What's his view on contraception?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

While he's a staunch anti-homo, his social views are good.

What are his positions on women ?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »

Generically against.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:20 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 02:49:27 PM by too cute to be a minute over 34 »

Generically against.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »

In any case they're all rather socially conservative. It's part of the job description of being a cardinal.
While that is technically correct... You certainly couldn't call Karl Lehmann, the bishop of Mainz, a "social conservative" within the context of the German church, let alone the worldwide one.

And yes, he voted today.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »

Socially conservative, of course, but his views and contact with poverty is encouraging.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »

He's pro-baby which is good news though Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »

Socially conservative, of course, but his views and contact with poverty is encouraging.

Is he anti-poverty in the form of state spending or does he lean more towards individual charity?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2013, 02:57:50 PM »

Is he anti-poverty in the form of state spending or does he lean more towards individual charity?

He doesn't really seem interested in that distinction, actually. He's criticized free-market capitalism but not to the extent of being aligned with liberation theology.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »

And much like being socially conservative is part of the job description, so also is being less than entirely keen on free market capitalism. You're really just looking to see how far it's taken.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2013, 02:59:57 PM »

In the sense of being aware of what poverty is and working with poor people to improve their lifes, instead of enclosing himself in an ivory tower. He seems humble, too, but that's only a feeling.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »

He doesn't really seem interested in that distinction, actually. He's criticized free-market capitalism but not to the extent of being aligned with liberation theology.

Seems acceptable enough for me then. Not that my opinion matters Tongue
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »

And much like being socially conservative is part of the job description, so also is being less than entirely keen on free market capitalism. You're really just looking to see how far it's taken.

True. The leadership of the Catholic Church really can't be placed on a left-right spectrum as easily as the staggeringly facile American chattering classes think it can.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »

Indeed. From what I've heard so far, it seems that he uses to put emphasis on the latter. So I can't complain.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »

On gay marriage;

"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

So it's the devils will in his eyes basically. I don't care what he eats, what he drives, where he lives or what kind words he throws at the poor. It still makes him an arse.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

I am very glad with the outcome.
I belonged to the "anyone but Scola" party,and Bergoglio's initial speech was simple,humble,and seemed to represent a different kind of Church from the one we have been seeing lately.

Also choosing Francesco as his name is very significant,and I would have never expected such a choice.
Obviously I like it,also given that my name is also Francesco Cheesy
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #320 on: March 13, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2013, 03:41:37 PM by Nathan »

On gay marriage;

"Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."

So it's the devils will in his eyes basically. I don't care what he eats, what he drives, where he lives or what kind words he throws at the poor. It still makes him an arse.

It does, and there weren't really any realistic options of whom that isn't true. One can, however, be more or less of an arse than all the other arses. Being more of an arse than Schönborn but less of an arse than practically every other realistic contender, Francis is, for me, a source of extremely tentative and skittish relative optimism.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #321 on: March 13, 2013, 03:27:33 PM »

Aww, he has a sweet little smile.  He satisfies the "I want to hug him" criterion.
ERvND
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #322 on: March 13, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »

Also choosing Francesco as his name is very significant,and I would have never expected such a choice.
Obviously I like it,also given that my name is also Francesco Cheesy

Oddly enough, while I didn't foresee the new pope's identity (my "money" was on Scherer), I predicted the papal name correctly.

Some days ago, I browsed through the list of papal names, and it immediately stood out to me that Franciscus / Francis had never been chosen. Given the significance of Francis of Assisi as a saint, this seemed weird. I thought that if the new pope wanted to stress his humility and a certain distance to the traditional church establishment, he should really choose "Franciscus".

Now I am glad that he took my advice. Wink
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #323 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »

On gay marriage;

It obviously does, and there weren't really any realistic options of whom that isn't true. One can, however, be more or less of an arse than all the other arses. Being more of an arse than Schönborn but less of an arse than practically every other realistic contender, Francis is, for me, a source of extremely tentative and skittish relative optimism.

It's not only that. He had ties to the Argentine military dictatorship too which is disturbing. He was accused of hiding political prisoners of the state from human rights inspectors in his holiday home. That is quite frightening.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #324 on: March 13, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »

Aww, he has a sweet little smile.  He satisfies the "I want to hug him" criterion.

Indeed!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies