How do you prefer to read novels?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:21:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How do you prefer to read novels?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How do you prefer to read novels?
Hardback

Trade paperback

Mass market paperback

E-reader

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: How do you prefer to read novels?  (Read 2649 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »

I strongly prefer the mass market paperbacks. I went to the library to get a particular title yesterday. I saw online that one branch had a paperback copy, which is my preference. For some reason, I just assumed it would be a mass market paperback. Those are the smaller copies of best sellers that one can buy for less than $10.  Instead, I found a gargantuan dictionary sized paper back. I checked it out anyway, but it is very inconvenient and clumsy.  #firstworldproblems.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 11:24:42 PM »

I don't care about the back, but it has to be real paper. Ebooks are godawful.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:45 AM »

Mass market paperback is my traditional favorite.  Most of my reading is done while walking/standing and hardcover are just too heavy.  Most of my reading is also done in and around a secure facility so a tablet/E-reader is right out.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:08:59 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2013, 01:12:13 PM by angus »

Hard for novels and textbooks and the Book of Mormon.  Soft but well bound for travel guides.  Rough Guides have better text, but Lonely Planet is bound better, so that's what I buy.  I've never looked into those electronic things.  I don't even carry my mobile phone on me most of the time, and I never check my email when I'm on vacation.  I can't imagine wanting an electronic device of any kind except my dive computer.  Well, and I also sometimes carry around a small digital pH meter and a couple of calculators.  But no electronic book thingies.  I actually write with a pencil in my journal.  I think I'm the last one to still do that.  I look around sometimes at a coffeeshop and notice everyone else with thinkpads, ipads, ipods, laptops, kindles, quoogles, and the like.  I'm sitting there like a douchebag with a pencil and an old-fashioned notebook scribbling my thoughts.  That's okay.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

Soft.  But alas I can't read anymore, now that I am submitted to the humiliation of paid employment.  I barely have time to brush my teeth or pick up my laundry.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »

I've been using a Kindle since Christmas. I like it as I find it easier to hold while reading. I just wish there was a way I could get all of my unread books in digital form.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »

I don't care about the back, but it has to be real paper. Ebooks are godawful.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »

I like trade paperbacks, actually.  Lighter than hardcover, but more durable than mass-market.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2013, 02:33:16 PM by DemPGH »

Voted hardback, but trade paperbacks are great. Mass market if it's something I'm only vaguely interested in and am looking for a cheap read that will satisfy some passing curiosity, like every now and again I get in the mood to check out some classic title that I never read before but have only heard about.

Not into the e-reader thing either, like most folks here. I still like to have a book with actual pages in my hands. I like to smell the pages and break it in just a bit, although I'm not hard on my books and I tend to not write in them. But I know folks who have Kindles and Nooks, and they love them. Just haven't made the jump yet - I'm sure I will in time.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:35:38 PM »

I'm a hardback fan, but I don't like e-readers.  Reading long books on a screen puts too much a strain on my eyes, even though I'm pretty much on a computer 24/7. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

Any of the first three. No preference.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »

I'm a hardcover fan, but they do cost too much, even pre-ordering books so I'll get paperback too if I can. I hate ebooks though as well.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2013, 06:02:58 PM by blagohair.com »

Paperback because it's lighter.  Also, the smaller the book is, the better.
I don't mind reading e-books but I hate it when my e-reader battery dies.

Actually, I prefer e-books, but when I travel to the mainland I always visit independent bookstores and buy books from them in order to support them.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »

I used to read books, but now I just get them all on my iPad. I am a 21st century man.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »

Voted hardback, but trade paperbacks are great.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

Preferably hardback (ugh, that term sounds so disgusting), but I don't really understand the hate on e-books. I enjoy reading on my Kindle just as much; it depends on what I have.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »

I don't really understand the hate on e-books. I enjoy reading on my Kindle just as much; it depends on what I have.

Same here. I really don't see what the problem is. I suppose those who dislike them are also listening to 45s.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:17 AM »

I don't really understand the hate on e-books. I enjoy reading on my Kindle just as much; it depends on what I have.

Same here. I really don't see what the problem is. I suppose those who dislike them are also listening to 45s.

I like books as physical objects. I find them beautiful, in a way that isn't necessarily separate from the beauty of the content. I don't find sleek pieces of plastic or whatever else e-books are made of beautiful.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »

I used to read books, but now I just get them all on my iPad. I am a 21st century man.

What's an I-pad?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

I like a good hardback the best, but paperbacks are also nice. I also think that having a shelf full of books adds a touch of class to one's home.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:02 AM »

I like books as physical objects. I find them beautiful, in a way that isn't necessarily separate from the beauty of the content. I don't find sleek pieces of plastic or whatever else e-books are made of beautiful.

I prefer to find the content beautiful, no matter how it's delivered.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:51 AM »

I like books as physical objects. I find them beautiful...

Also, as John pointed out, if you have a shelf full of them your neighbors will think you are literate. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

Ha, that's a nice comment and one I agree with. It's even more obvious when you tour a special collection. I've held in my hands and sat down with an early Quixote, an original Newton, and an early Galileo, among others - the Galileo had his own writing in it with his signature. I think the Newton did as well. It was stunning.

If ever I became a zillionaire and felt the impulse to spend horrendous amounts of money on something, it would be rare books, clearly. Smiley
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »

Definitely paperback. I abuse my books, hard covers aren't conducive to that. I hate reading electronically.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »

Do you print out forum topics?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies