Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:07:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you support Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage?
Yes, but $9 is not enough.

Yes, its about right.

No, but we should keep it as it is.

No, and we should eliminate the minimum wage.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour  (Read 11880 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 06:34:01 PM »

That's about right for now.

As someone who has begun searching for employment, $7.25 an hour seems okay to me. However, as I will eventually need to pay for my own house, car, etc. $7.25 is not enough to survive.

Why do you assume your wage will be permanently frozen at $7.25 or whatever the prevailing minimum wage is?

Most people who are at some point working at a job that pays minimum wage either get a raise or get a higher paying job.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »

Why do you assume your wage will be permanently frozen at $7.25 or whatever the prevailing minimum wage is?

Because generally it is. My mom has been working as a secretary for 10+ years at just over minimum wage and has not gotten a raise in 5 years.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »

I don't think any of the poll options are ideal, the current minimum wage is inadequate, but increasing the minimum wage will only increase the cost of livings. rather than worrying about wages we should be worried about the ever rising cost of living, and we should take necessary efforts to reduce it. Or at least keep it in check.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 01:08:54 AM »

I don't think any of the poll options are ideal, the current minimum wage is inadequate, but increasing the minimum wage will only increase the cost of living. rather than worrying about wages we should be worried about the ever rising cost of living, and we should take necessary efforts to reduce it. Or at least keep it in check.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 01:09:16 AM »

I don't think any of the poll options are ideal, the current minimum wage is inadequate, but increasing the minimum wage will only increase the cost of livings. rather than worrying about wages we should be worried about the ever rising cost of living, and we should take necessary efforts to reduce it. Or at least keep it in check.

Inflation is fairly low in America and Europe these days.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »

raise it to around $15 like it is over in australia and index it to inflation.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

Inflation is fairly low in America and Europe these days.

This, and moderate inflation is actually quite good for an economy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 05:43:32 AM »

raise it to around $15 like it is over in australia and index it to inflation.

That's absolutely correct!  I've been advocating a $15 minimum wage for years.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »

Because generally it is. My mom has been working as a secretary for 10+ years at just over minimum wage and has not gotten a raise in 5 years.

Economic stats>An anectdote
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 06:14:39 AM »

That's a pretty rude thing to say.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 06:19:42 AM »

I work more than 50 hours a week just above the minimum wage just to afford rent and an alcohol dependency, so the idea of paying for college tuition or a family is laughable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:36 AM »

Worse yet it is inaccurate.  In fact most people stay stuck at low-wage jobs their entire lives, and a 'raise' is almost unheard of in the new economy.  The only exciting 'change' one can look forward to is being laid off entirely.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »
« Edited: February 14, 2013, 07:19:46 AM by DC Al Fine »

Worse yet it is inaccurate.  In fact most people stay stuck at low-wage jobs their entire lives, and a 'raise' is almost unheard of in the new economy.  The only exciting 'change' one can look forward to is being laid off entirely.

Cite?

Edit: 20RP12, if anecdotal evidence and "that's not nice" are the best arguments you have, you may want to rethink your position.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »

Cite?

Come on, DC, surely you jest?  What I mentioned was common knowledge.  And after all, why would anyone give a worker a raise unless they had too?  All the major employers - WalMart, McDonalds, etc, top out at about $8/hour.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »

Cite?

Come on, DC, surely you jest?  What I mentioned was common knowledge.  And after all, why would anyone give a worker a raise unless they had too?  All the major employers - WalMart, McDonalds, etc, top out at about $8/hour.

I actually work part-time at McDonald's and we top out at $9, but that's still not much. I've been working there for four years and have seen some sketchy things as far as wages go. I remember, for instance, a time where a manager actually deleted hours that the closing shift worked after midnight so that it looked like they were done "on time." And then there's the girl who didn't get a raise specifically (I was told) because she didn't smile enough. And there's another friend of mine who didn't get a raise (and this is legit, as strange as it sounds, because I saw it written on his performance review) because "he plays too many video games."

It's mind-numbingly bad in the fast food sector.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »

...after all, why would anyone give a worker a raise unless they had too?  All the major employers - WalMart, McDonalds, etc, top out at about $8/hour.

I actually work part-time at McDonald's and we top out at $9, but that's still not much. I've been working there for four years and have seen some sketchy things as far as wages go. I remember, for instance, a time where a manager actually deleted hours that the closing shift worked after midnight so that it looked like they were done "on time." And then there's the girl who didn't get a raise specifically (I was told) because she didn't smile enough. And there's another friend of mine who didn't get a raise (and this is legit, as strange as it sounds, because I saw it written on his performance review) because "he plays too many video games."

Yes.  The physical pain of working in such a place (standing for eight hours) coupled with the dire psychological humiliation of the role (far worse than befalls any prostitute) would be enough to militate for a $15-$20 minimum wage, without even mentioning the obvious fact that employing people at $8-$9/hour actually doesn't solve any problems but rather causes social problems and acts as a drain on society subsidizing the McDonald's corporation.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

Cite?

i'm surprised you didn't bring up how many people aren't getting paid sick days. right now something like 40% of private sector workersdon't get those. considering all the other horror stories in the food industry i'd imagine it's probably at least that. one of the reasons i rarely eat out anymore, never mind get fast food.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »

No, unemployment is too high, and I'm against giving any more comparative advantage to big businesses who can afford to pay higher wages.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »

Cite?

If it's common knowledge, I'm sure you can find some evidence for this alleged lack of income mobility..
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »

Edit: 20RP12, if anecdotal evidence and "that's not nice" are the best arguments you have, you may want to rethink your position.

It's not 'anecdotal evidence' and "that's not nice" it's me telling a story that's true for millions and millions of Americans and you rejecting it as 'just one instance' simply because I used it as a personal story rather than a broad declaration of fact.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

No; keep it as it is.  I don't think we should eliminate the minimum wage (I believe workers deserve to be paid fairly), but if it's too high, businesses that are trying to grow will have to lay off workers, or they will raise their prices until they lose money or go out of business, which will ultimately lead to job losses.  A higher minimum wage may help some workers, but there comes a point that it starts hurting more workers than it helps.  How high is too high?  That's a tough question.  But my problem with raising it too much isn't that I don't care about workers; it's that I do and realize that it does them more harm than good.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:41 PM »

Option 1 (normal)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 03:52:54 AM »

Option 1. It should be set at around its highest historical level (1968), which would make it roughly $11/hour. I'd also index it to the CPI.
t_host1

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »

Raising the floor for eligible legal survival only continues the Obama/Clinton progressive crippling of the USA - its ability to create the next/new auto, phone, energy, Gov. and food industries that are not legacy indebted. The older goods and services consumed today are heavily weighted with non-producing cost, hence, why I voted to eliminate the minimum wage, once realized, the 40hr work rule will be oblivious to be not good for the cost living also.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:40 PM »

Raising the floor for eligible legal survival only continues the Obama/Clinton progressive crippling of the USA - its ability to create the next/new auto, phone, energy, Gov. and food industries that are not legacy indebted. The older goods and services consumed today are heavily weighted with non-producing cost, hence, why I voted to eliminate the minimum wage, once realized, the 40hr work rule will be oblivious to be not good for the cost living also.

Perfect - falling wages is the prime plank of the Republican Party!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies