Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:09:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Do you support Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage?
Yes, but $9 is not enough.

Yes, its about right.

No, but we should keep it as it is.

No, and we should eliminate the minimum wage.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour  (Read 11819 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 05:48:39 PM »

I oppose any and all minimum wage laws, that are not adjusted state by state for the cost of living. I don't like them theoretically (do it the income tax credit way, and avoid economic distortions), but at low enough levels (the Dems have been pretty good at keeping them low and largely irrelevant, except in low wage, low cost of living states), they're basically harmless.
JQ
Rookie
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »

Why in God's name would you pay someone $15 or $20/hour to flip burgers?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »

Why in God's name would you not? All labor deserves dignity, and no job in this country should pay less than what is necessary to be able to live on. Businesses that can't adapt to that reality should go the way of the dinosaurs.
JQ
Rookie
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »

Why in God's name would you not? All labor deserves dignity, and no job in this country should pay less than what is necessary to be able to live on. Businesses that can't adapt to that reality should go the way of the dinosaurs.
Really? I know plenty of people who can live quite comfortably by themselves on $7.25/hour at 35 or 40 hours/week.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »

otherwise way too much of their labor is being stolen.
JQ
Rookie
United States

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

How exactly does burger flipping warrant anything close to $15/hour?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

Really? I know plenty of people who can live quite comfortably by themselves on $7.25/hour at 35 or 40 hours/week.

As someone who makes $8.70 an hour and has to spend every bit of his paycheck on gasoline and food, I highly doubt that's the case for most people making $7.25 an hour.
JQ
Rookie
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »

As someone who makes $8.70 an hour and has to spend every bit of his paycheck on gasoline and food, I highly doubt that's the case for most people making $7.25 an hour.
Essentials covered. Be thankful.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »

What's there to be thankful for if you have no money to save for the future?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2013, 04:20:13 PM »

How exactly does burger flipping warrant anything close to $15/hour?

how does sitting on your ass warrant a stock dividend?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »

What's there to be thankful for if you have no money to save for the future?

It can always get worse...

If you want to save, following this guy's example would definitely help.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »

To avoid creating the inevitable and much more expensive social problems which below$15/hour pay causes.  Allowing a 'private company' to pay less than a socially sustainable wage is a subsidy of that company by the State and all workers.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »

To avoid creating the inevitable and much more expensive social problems which below$15/hour pay causes.  Allowing a 'private company' to pay less than a socially sustainable wage is a subsidy of that company by the State and all workers.
exactly, the tax payer is just paying out welfare benefits anyway for a lot of these people. or going to be asked to at some point. and by now the median age of fast food workers in this country is 28. it's not just teenagers or illegal immigrants doing that sort of work. there are plenty of desperate underemployed people and retirees 'flipping burgers' too.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2013, 06:01:10 AM »

I oppose any and all minimum wage laws, that are not adjusted state by state for the cost of living. I don't like them theoretically (do it the income tax credit way, and avoid economic distortions)

This is perfect nonsense.  A negative income tax acts as a massive subsidy for low wage exploiters - tremendously distorting 'the market' (a misnomer for State policy) in their favor.  As if it wasn't distorted enough already by private property.

Under no cicumstances should we be paying people welfare who work - either the exploiter should pay a living wage which requires no other assistance to keep their serf alive, or that serf should be allowed to sit idle on a generous dole.  (not as generous as yours, Torie, but you get the idea).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

I probably lean towards supporting the proposal then.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14:58 AM »

$9 dollars is not enough.

minimum wage should be $15 an hour and it should rise again and again until the heads of companies continue to avoid tax, get shares in companies and non taxable bonuses. the gravy train has to stop.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

There's no evidence that a higher minimum wage causes unemployment.
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13:16 AM »

No, just higher prices.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »

No, just higher prices.

So sorry that you'll have to pay an extra nickel for a cheeseburger so that someone else can eat.
t_host1

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2013, 10:05:45 AM »

Raising the floor for eligible legal survival only continues the Obama/Clinton progressive crippling of the USA - its ability to create the next/new auto, phone, energy, Gov. and food industries that are not legacy indebted. The older goods and services consumed today are heavily weighted with non-producing cost, hence, why I voted to eliminate the minimum wage, once realized, the 40hr work rule will be oblivious to be not good for the cost living also.

Perfect - falling wages is the prime plank of the Republican Party!
Great headline, on the back page, “progressive tax participation revenue falls”; Obamacare has no more money - special needs & preexisting conditions now suspended…
...which is real?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Raising the floor for eligible legal survival only continues the Obama/Clinton progressive crippling of the USA - its ability to create the next/new auto, phone, energy, Gov. and food industries that are not legacy indebted. The older goods and services consumed today are heavily weighted with non-producing cost, hence, why I voted to eliminate the minimum wage, once realized, the 40hr work rule will be oblivious to be not good for the cost living also.

Great headline, on the back page, “progressive tax participation revenue falls”; Obamacare has no more money - special needs & preexisting conditions now suspended…
...which is real?

What
Gamecock
Rookie
United States

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

No, just higher prices.

So sorry that you'll have to pay an extra nickel for a cheeseburger so that someone else can eat.

I hope they can find affordable food, because after implementing your $20 minimum wage, grocery shopping will become a very expensive proposition for everyone.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2013, 11:59:31 AM by Redalgo »

In response to the OP, I do not think the minimum wage should exist. Ensuring individuals have enough resources to meet their most basic needs is in my opinion a responsibility of state when a person does not achieve it on their own. It does not make sense to burden firms with this kind of regulation. I reckon it is better to have a guaranteed minimum income and strong welfare regime.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »

No, just higher prices.

I hope they can find affordable food, because after implementing your $20 minimum wage, grocery shopping will become a very expensive proposition for everyone.

Nah, they'll just lay off as many clerks as possible and start using machines for everything.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »

In response to the OP, I do not think the minimum wage should exist. Ensuring individuals have enough resources to meet their most basic needs is in my opinion a responsibility of state when a person does not achieve it on their own. It does not make sense to burden firms with this kind of regulation. I reckon it is better to have a guaranteed minimum income and strong welfare regime.

My fear is that businesses would take advantage of that system by paying their employees an extremely low wage, knowing that it doesn't matter because the government will just write them a check anyway. Which could ultimately be even more expensive than our current system.

...which is real?

What
This is actually one of his more easily-decipherable posts:
"That would make a great headline. And on the back page: 'Tax Participation, Revenue Fall; Obamacare Special Needs and Pre-existing Conditions Provisions Suspended.'
Which one seems more realistic?"
I'm not sure what that has to do with what you posted, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies