Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:00:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage?
Yes, but $9 is not enough.

Yes, its about right.

No, but we should keep it as it is.

No, and we should eliminate the minimum wage.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour  (Read 11922 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 19, 2013, 06:56:26 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

I probably lean towards supporting the proposal then.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

I probably lean towards supporting the proposal then.

There's no evidence that a higher minimum wage causes unemployment.

I don't recall saying it did. But I am sure if you jack them up high enough, quickly enough, common sense alone would say that employment would be impacted. Of course I doubt that such a scenario has been tested. I for one, don't want to find out by actually trying it. Which is why I support the proposal.

A proposal in the MN legislature would raise the minimum wage in the state from $6.15, below the federal minimum, to $9.50/hour.

The local Chamber of Commerce president sent a survey to area businesses asking whether such a rise would impact them.  3/4 of businesses said it would not.  Half of business owners said it would impact the community positively.

It's time to raise the minimum wage.  During the 1960s, the minimum wage was increased numerous times... and the '60s were a decade of prosperity and robust economic growth with low inflation.

When you put more money into the hands of poor workers, it better ables us to take care of those who might lose their job or see their hours reduced as a result in the rise.

You mean the state level statute, correct? For some reason I doubt that Minnesota would have a exemption from the federal rate, even if such were possible. Call it a hunch. Wink

And yet it is time. Had it been risen more aggressively in the 2000's, perhaps some things would have been different and we might be at $9.00 by now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies