Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:24:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage?
Yes, but $9 is not enough.

Yes, its about right.

No, but we should keep it as it is.

No, and we should eliminate the minimum wage.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour  (Read 11941 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 14, 2013, 02:27:00 AM »

raise it to around $15 like it is over in australia and index it to inflation.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

Worse yet it is inaccurate.  In fact most people stay stuck at low-wage jobs their entire lives, and a 'raise' is almost unheard of in the new economy.  The only exciting 'change' one can look forward to is being laid off entirely.

Cite?

Come on, DC, surely you jest?  What I mentioned was common knowledge.  And after all, why would anyone give a worker a raise unless they had too?  All the major employers - WalMart, McDonalds, etc, top out at about $8/hour.

I actually work part-time at McDonald's and we top out at $9, but that's still not much. I've been working there for four years and have seen some sketchy things as far as wages go. I remember, for instance, a time where a manager actually deleted hours that the closing shift worked after midnight so that it looked like they were done "on time." And then there's the girl who didn't get a raise specifically (I was told) because she didn't smile enough. And there's another friend of mine who didn't get a raise (and this is legit, as strange as it sounds, because I saw it written on his performance review) because "he plays too many video games."

It's mind-numbingly bad in the fast food sector.
i'm surprised you didn't bring up how many people aren't getting paid sick days. right now something like 40% of private sector workersdon't get those. considering all the other horror stories in the food industry i'd imagine it's probably at least that. one of the reasons i rarely eat out anymore, never mind get fast food.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »

Why in God's name would you pay someone $15 or $20/hour to flip burgers?

To avoid creating the inevitable and much more expensive social problems which below$15/hour pay causes.  Allowing a 'private company' to pay less than a socially sustainable wage is a subsidy of that company by the State and all workers.
exactly, the tax payer is just paying out welfare benefits anyway for a lot of these people. or going to be asked to at some point. and by now the median age of fast food workers in this country is 28. it's not just teenagers or illegal immigrants doing that sort of work. there are plenty of desperate underemployed people and retirees 'flipping burgers' too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies