Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:50:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support Obama's proposal to increase the minimum wage?
Yes, but $9 is not enough.

Yes, its about right.

No, but we should keep it as it is.

No, and we should eliminate the minimum wage.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 85

Author Topic: Minimum wage increase from $7.25 to $9.00 per hour  (Read 11927 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »

Yes, but $9 is not enough.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

I don't think any of the poll options are ideal, the current minimum wage is inadequate, but increasing the minimum wage will only increase the cost of livings. rather than worrying about wages we should be worried about the ever rising cost of living, and we should take necessary efforts to reduce it. Or at least keep it in check.

Inflation is fairly low in America and Europe these days.

This, and moderate inflation is actually quite good for an economy.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »

Worse yet it is inaccurate.  In fact most people stay stuck at low-wage jobs their entire lives, and a 'raise' is almost unheard of in the new economy.  The only exciting 'change' one can look forward to is being laid off entirely.

Cite?

Come on, DC, surely you jest?  What I mentioned was common knowledge.  And after all, why would anyone give a worker a raise unless they had too?  All the major employers - WalMart, McDonalds, etc, top out at about $8/hour.

I actually work part-time at McDonald's and we top out at $9, but that's still not much. I've been working there for four years and have seen some sketchy things as far as wages go. I remember, for instance, a time where a manager actually deleted hours that the closing shift worked after midnight so that it looked like they were done "on time." And then there's the girl who didn't get a raise specifically (I was told) because she didn't smile enough. And there's another friend of mine who didn't get a raise (and this is legit, as strange as it sounds, because I saw it written on his performance review) because "he plays too many video games."

It's mind-numbingly bad in the fast food sector.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »

Why in God's name would you pay someone $15 or $20/hour to flip burgers?

Why in God's name would you not? All labor deserves dignity, and no job in this country should pay less than what is necessary to be able to live on. Businesses that can't adapt to that reality should go the way of the dinosaurs.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »

Why in God's name would you not? All labor deserves dignity, and no job in this country should pay less than what is necessary to be able to live on. Businesses that can't adapt to that reality should go the way of the dinosaurs.
Really? I know plenty of people who can live quite comfortably by themselves on $7.25/hour at 35 or 40 hours/week.

As someone who makes $8.70 an hour and has to spend every bit of his paycheck on gasoline and food, I highly doubt that's the case for most people making $7.25 an hour.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »

Really? I know plenty of people who can live quite comfortably by themselves on $7.25/hour at 35 or 40 hours/week.

As someone who makes $8.70 an hour and has to spend every bit of his paycheck on gasoline and food, I highly doubt that's the case for most people making $7.25 an hour.
Essentials covered. Be thankful.

What's there to be thankful for if you have no money to save for the future?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:26:31 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

I probably lean towards supporting the proposal then.

There's no evidence that a higher minimum wage causes unemployment.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:07:03 AM »

Probably slightly on the side of not enough, however; the transition to that or higher could be just as damaging to the poor and unlike Opebo, I am not out for revenge or something of that sort especially when it comes at the expense of the very people it aims to help.

I probably lean towards supporting the proposal then.

There's no evidence that a higher minimum wage causes unemployment.

No, just higher prices.

So sorry that you'll have to pay an extra nickel for a cheeseburger so that someone else can eat.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Raising the floor for eligible legal survival only continues the Obama/Clinton progressive crippling of the USA - its ability to create the next/new auto, phone, energy, Gov. and food industries that are not legacy indebted. The older goods and services consumed today are heavily weighted with non-producing cost, hence, why I voted to eliminate the minimum wage, once realized, the 40hr work rule will be oblivious to be not good for the cost living also.

Perfect - falling wages is the prime plank of the Republican Party!
Great headline, on the back page, “progressive tax participation revenue falls”; Obamacare has no more money - special needs & preexisting conditions now suspended…
...which is real?

What
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »

For the millionth time, non minimum wage plus guaranteed minimum income is the way to go.
I'll copy and paste my response to Redalgo when he proposed the same thing earlier in the thread:
My fear is that businesses would take advantage of that system by paying their employees an extremely low wage, knowing that it doesn't matter because the government will just write them a check anyway. Which could ultimately be even more expensive than our current system.

It's what they do already. The EITC is a MASSIVE subsidy to low-wage employers. A negative income tax or GMI will only encourage low wage employment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies