Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 07:48:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107710 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2005, 09:24:29 PM »

Gender Equality Bill

-All laws of the Republic of Atlasia that utilise the word 'he' for descriptives shall also be interpreted as 'she'.

-The Senate advises the Supreme Court that constitutional references to 'he' should also be interpreted as 'she'.

--------------------------

Just something pretty basic. Doing it for the shielas Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2005, 09:39:01 PM »

Gender Equality Bill

-All laws of the Republic of Atlasia that utilise the word 'he' for descriptives shall also be interpreted as 'she'.

-The Senate advises the Supreme Court that constitutional references to 'he' should also be interpreted as 'she'.

--------------------------

Just something pretty basic. Doing it for the shielas Smiley
The shielas appreciate it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 06:54:46 PM »

We now have two legislation spots open with the passing of the Anti-Opebo Act and the Water Technology Act.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2005, 07:02:26 PM »

Industrial Hemp Legalization Act

Section 1.

Industrial hemp shall be defined as any member of the plant species Cannabis sativa that has a THC content of 1% or less.

Section 2.

Industrial hemp shall be legal to grow and use in consumer and industrial goods in Atlasia.

Section 3.

The federal government of Atlasia will award $20 million to the first company or individual that develops an industrial hemp based fuel that can be used in unmodified petroleum gasoline engines, mix with petroleum gasoline, and can also be mass produced for under $1 per gallon.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 02:02:24 AM »

The Government Thread Act

Primary Sponsor:Senator MAS117 (UP-NJ)

Clause I[/u]
There shall be a creation of a Government HQ thread, maintained by the Secretary of Forum Affairs, here on the Atlas Fantasy Government board.

Clause II[/u]
Every cabinet member must have a thread containing there respective offices, also there needs to be a thread for the President and if the Vice President chooses too, a Vice Presidential thread.

Clause III[/u]
All cabinet members threads and Presidential and Vice Presidential threads must be included in the Government HQ thread. The Atlasian Constitution must also be linked in the Government HQ thread. All other threads that should be posted in the Government board will be approved by the Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Clause IV[/u]
The Government HQ thread should be stickied at all times.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2005, 03:49:39 AM »

Given the problems that we've had with the federal budget this time and before, I think it's about time that I propose this amendment that was given to Gabu by Jake a couple of weeks ago here.

Hope both of y'all are ok with me adding it here to this thread even though y'all both get the credit.

The Budget Amendment

§ 1. The Senate shall be responsible for drafting and approving a budget at the opening of each individual Congress.

§ 2. The Budget must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate and then approved by the President.

§ 3. The Senate shall approve the budget before moving on to any other matter.

§ 4. After the budget is approved by the Senate, the Senate shall appropriate money raised by the budget as it deems appropriate.

§ 5. The total overspent on the budget and appropriations must not exceed 2% of the GDP except in those situations specified by Section 6.

§ 6. Section 5 shall not be in effect in a time of war or in a time of economic crisis.  A time of war shall be defined as a time when the Atlasian Senate has voted to declare war and a situation of war exists.  A time of economic crisis shall be defined as a time when the real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2005, 01:45:34 PM »

2nd Amendment to the Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges Act

Section 1, Clause 2 shall hereby be repealed and replaced with:

"The certification of election results shall be the automatic certification of the vote at exactly 72 hours after the opening of voting."

2:  The statement "those which are awaiting certification" in Section 2, Clause 1 shall hereby be stricken. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »

WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG WITH MY LEGISLATION?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2005, 12:36:11 PM »

The Senate only allows votes on 4 bills at a time in chronological order.  You have to wait until there is a slot for you.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2005, 01:09:23 PM »

Just wait.  We'll all get a chance to laugh at your "legislation" in due time.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2005, 01:56:56 PM »

That's not right.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2005, 01:58:20 PM »

What's not right, that we have procedures in place and go sequentially through the legislation that was introduced?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2005, 02:05:26 PM »

We'll all get a chance to laugh at your "legislation" in due time.

Why can't I be taken seriously? Because I make funny jokes and comments in teamspeak?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2005, 02:06:37 PM »

We'll all get a chance to laugh at your "legislation" in due time.

Why can't I be taken seriously? Because I make funny jokes and comments in teamspeak?

Your legislation is just a little...well...it isn't as good as the others?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2005, 06:54:03 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2005, 06:57:20 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Omnibus Election System, Procedure and Certification Bill (King is an Idiot Bill)

Section 1: The Ballot

1. In their ballot in the Elections to the Senate and the Presidency, each voter shall list some, none or all of the candidates in the voter's order of preference for them.
   2. If no numbering of the preferences is stated then the candidate at the top of the list shall be presumed to be the first preference, the candidate on the second line of the list shall be presumed to be the second preference, and so on.
   3. All elections shall always have the option of write-in for voters, except in the case of run-off elections.
   4. In order to write-in a candidate, the voter shall not need to explicitly specify that their vote is for a write-in candidate.
   5. In order for write-in votes for a candidate for election to qualify as legal votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election.

Section 2: Determination of the Winner

1. If any candidate shall gain a majority of the first preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election.
   2. If no such candidate shall exist then the candidate with the least preferences shall be eliminated and his votes redistributed according to lower preferences.
   3. If any candidate shall have a majority of the preference votes, then that candidate shall be declared the winner of the election. If no such candidate shall exist then Clause 2 of this Section shall be implemented again until such a candidate does exist or until all candidates have the same number of preference votes.
   4. If there shall be a situation where there shall be two or more candidates tied for the least number of preference votes, but none of these tied with the candidate with the most preference votes, then the following procedure shall be used to determine which candidate shall be eliminated and his preference votes redistributed:
         i. The candidate with the least total number of preferences expressed by voters shall be eliminated.
         ii. The Senate shall vote on which candidate to eliminate, with the Vice President being able to cast a tie-breaking vote if necessary.
   5. If the event that all candidates have the same number of preference votes shall occur then the following procedure shall be used to break the tie:
         i. A runoff shall be held beginning at midnight Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday after the election that shall last for 72 hours.
         ii. Those candidates who have tied shall be automatically entered onto the ballot and no other candidacies shall be allowed.
         iii. Voters shall only be able to cast a vote for one candidate and write-in candidates shall not be allowed.
         iv. If any candidate shall gain a majority of the vote, then he shall be declared winner.
   6. If Clause 5 of this Section does not yield a winner then the procedure outlined in Section 3, Clauses 3 through 8 of the Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges Act shall be used to determine a winner.
   7. Any instance of the word in this Section candidate shall be read as ticket in the case of Presidential elections.

Section 3: Administration of Voting Booths

1. The administrator of a voting booth shall be free to design the ballot as they see fit as long as the content of the ballot is clear and unambiguous.
   2. The administrator of a voting booth shall post links to all relevant statute regarding electoral law on the ballot.
   3. Whenever possible, the administrator of the voting booth shall be the Secretary of Forum Affairs; If he shall be absent for whatever reason, the administration of the voting booth shall be conducted by an executive officer of the federal government nominated by the President.

Section 4: Certification of Election Results

1. When the period of voting has expired, the administrator of the voting booth shall post a declaration of the result in the voting booth, including all those votes which he has discounted, and the reasons for these votes being discounted. In so doing, the voting booth administrator shall discount those votes he is required to by law and shall only count those remaining votes for which he is able to make a reasonable determination as to the intent of the voter.
   2. At the time of the end of the voting period, the administrator of the voting booth shall lock the thread containing the voting booth. The thread shall not be unlocked except to enter the certification of the election result onto the thread.
   3. Certification of the election result shall be conducted as soon as humanly possible after the voting booth shall have closed. If the Administrator of the voting booth shall not be available to conduct such certification, then he shall nominate another executive officer of the federal government to carry out such certification in his stead.
   4. Once certification of an election result has occurred it may not be amended or rescinded except on the basis of a Court order.

Section 5: Concession of Victory

1. If a candidate shall concede their victory of a Senate election after the certification of the election result then whoever shall have been the runner-up (defined as the candidate with the most preference votes other than the certified victor) in that election shall then be declared victor.
   2. If both members of a Presidential ticket shall concede their victory in the Presidential election after the certification of the election result then whoever shall have been the runner-up (defined as the ticket with the most preference votes other than the certified victors) in that election shall then be declared victor.
   3. If a victor who has conceded shall wish to retract their concession then they shall only be able to do so with the permission of the newly declared victor.

Section 5: Repealed Legislation

The following Laws, and Sections thereof, are hereby repealed:
   1. The Preferential Voting Act is repealed in full.
   2. Section 1 and Section 3, Clauses 1 and 2 of the Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges Act are repealed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2005, 03:59:08 PM »

As suggested to me by Secretary of State Siege40:

Atlasian Currency Act

Section 1
The Government of Atlasia will establish a Mint in Nyman.

Section 2
The following people and images will be displayed on each bill or coin.

Coins:

$ 0.01 – Ernest and Constitution
$ 0.05 – Andrew Berger and Bald Eagle
$ 0.10 – Fritz and Forum Affairs Building
$ 0.25 – Nym90 and Region design

Bills:

$ 1.00 – PBrunsel and PBrunsel Memorial
$ 2.00 – Peter Bell and Atlasian Capitol
$ 5.00 – Gustaf and State Department Building
$ 10.00 – Nym90 and Atlasian Seal
$ 20.00 – John F. Kennedy and Kennedy Memorial
$ 50.00 – John Ford and Pentagon
$ 100.00 – KEmperor and Supreme Court Building

Section 3
The Mint will be under the control of the Secretary of the Treasury.

Section 4
The Senate will allocate appropriate funds to manage the Mint.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2005, 04:00:46 PM »

Is choosing contempory politicians really a good idea?
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2005, 04:11:43 PM »

Is choosing contempory politicians really a good idea?

Indeed, we have 200 hundred years of History too... oh wait, no we don't. Oh wait. Those who have been are leaders are still here. The only one that contributed and left was JFK and Fritz, and to put them on all the currency, well that's stupid.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2005, 04:13:46 PM »

The only one that contributed and left was JFK and Fritz, and to put them on all the currency, well that's stupid.

Siege

There's always Dunn Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »

And the Retired Al.

Suggestions
$2 - Retired Al and Tip O'Neill
$10 - PD and John Engle Party HQ
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2005, 01:04:31 PM »

I ask Senator Spade if I can have the honor of making some example designs?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2005, 01:31:28 PM »

I would say it would be better to wait until the idea is actually accepted before getting to work on doing it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2005, 02:01:31 PM »

I have no problem with that, but can you please wait till the bill reaches the floor?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2005, 02:08:39 PM »

Sure thing. Thank you.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2005, 08:24:42 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2005, 09:25:22 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

I think this looks a little cleaner than the one you gave to me.  Let me know whether this is ok, Jake.

Freedom Act of 2005

Primary Sponsor: Senator SamSpade (UP-LA)
Co-Sponsor(s): Senator MAS117 (UP-PA)

Purpose: The Purpose of this to promote am atmosphere of Freedom and Democracy in the world.

Clause 1
The Secretary of State of Atlasia will formulate a list of world nations that are not considered to be free and democratic.  The timetable for such a list will be set at the Secretary's discretion, though such a list must be produced publicly at least 90 days from the date of this bill being passed into law.  This requirement will apply to all revisions of this list each and every year hereafter.

Clause 2
All nations on this above-stated list that receive foreign aid from Atlasia will be denied any such aid distributions upon their inclusion onto the said list for the present Fiscal year.

Clause 3
As so implied in Clause 1, each and every year henceforth, the Secretary of State will revise the list, according to the timetable established in Clause 1, and any nation that is removed from the list will be eligible for aid distributions for the present Fiscal year.

Clause 4
Atlasia will not begin the transfer of new distributions of foreign aid to any nation on the list for the present Fiscal year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies