Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:30:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 107468 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: July 01, 2005, 06:22:29 PM »

Why would we want Greenland?  At least there turned out to be oil in Alaska, but there's nothing in Greenland but eskimos and polar bears.  We could rename it 'MasterJedi's Folly'!

The Polar Bear is a very endangered species, we must protect it! Wink

Actually to be serious their have been large oil deposits found in Greenland. The problem is they are rather hard to get to at this time and some of the less remote oil fields are just entering exploratory drilling at this time.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #251 on: July 03, 2005, 09:58:34 PM »

Dealing with what was mentioned earlier by me:

Constitutional Amendment to Article I, Section 8, Clause 6

Article I, Section 8, Clause 6, of the Constitution of Atlasia shall be amended to read thus:

"The Senate must approve each and every Budget before moving on to any other matter, except for Presidential nominations, PPT elections. or other similarly urgent matters at the beginning of a session of the Senate."
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #252 on: July 05, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »

I say we should take control of both North and South Atlasia as the continents are both named after this country.

So it was Atlasigo Vespucci who thought that the Atlasias were new continents, not Amerigo Vespucci? Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #253 on: July 05, 2005, 03:02:22 PM »

I say we should take control of both North and South Atlasia as the continents are both named after this country.

So it was Atlasigo Vespucci who thought that the Atlasias were new continents, not Amerigo Vespucci? Smiley

Sure. Tongue
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2005, 09:03:59 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Greenland was an independent country, what right does Denmark have to fork it over? They'd have to abandon their ties, that's true, but I don't know if they have the right just to sell it.

Siege
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2005, 11:25:05 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Greenland was an independent country, what right does Denmark have to fork it over? They'd have to abandon their ties, that's true, but I don't know if they have the right just to sell it.

Siege

Well according to the Danish government Greenland is a county of Denmark and is thus part of the Kingdom of Denmark in full. It has representatives in the Danish parliament but has a large amount of autonomy in almost all matters, the only matters it doesn't control are mostly military and foreign affairs although Greenland has not joined the EU in defiance of Denmark and it trade and tourism agreements with several other Nordic countries and is also one of several countries in some Inuit worldwide organizations. So for such a bill to actually work we would probably have to talk to both governments and give both governments some sort of payment for this to work.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2005, 11:42:58 AM »

Siege

Well according to the Danish government Greenland is a county of Denmark and is thus part of the Kingdom of Denmark in full. It has representatives in the Danish parliament but has a large amount of autonomy in almost all matters, the only matters it doesn't control are mostly military and foreign affairs although Greenland has not joined the EU in defiance of Denmark and it trade and tourism agreements with several other Nordic countries and is also one of several countries in some Inuit worldwide organizations. So for such a bill to actually work we would probably have to talk to both governments and give both governments some sort of payment for this to work.

That relationship is kind of like Scotland and Britian in a small way.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2005, 11:45:34 AM »

Siege

Yeah in a way. It's basically Puerto Rico with voting Congressional Representation.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2005, 09:03:03 AM »

Siege

Yeah in a way. It's basically Puerto Rico with voting Congressional Representation.

Right then, if we are going to annex Greenland, than let's do it right, and edit that legislation.

Siege
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2005, 12:36:56 PM »

Er... no. Nothing like that at all. U.S and Puerto Rico is a better comparision
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »

Written by President Seige40, introduced by me.

The Unification of Canada and Atlasia Act

Preamble

Whereas there is a significant number of Canadians, and others hailing from the Commonwealth

Whereas it was recently decided that the unification of Canada is acceptable to a plurality of the people of Atlasia

Whereas Atlasia would benefit by expanding its political frontiers

We hereby conclude to unite the nations of Atlasia and Canada.

Section 1 – Canada, The Region

1 – The ten provinces, and three territories that compromise the nation of Canada shall be reorganized to fit into the prescribed ten-state rule.

2 – The three territories will be consolidated into one state named the Arctic Atlasia Abbreviation of Arctic Atlasia will be AA.

3 – The provinces of New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island are to be consolidated together and named New Brunswick.

4 – The provinces and territories of Canada will from now on be referred to as states.

5 – The Region of Canada may preserve all the cultural institutions familiar to the Commonwealth of Canada. The national animal, national anthem, and in general symbols may remain, but will be identified as regional symbols.

6 – Canadian language laws will be respected, and not interfered with by any branch of the government of Atlasia. This includes French and English as official languages, and the particular spelling of words in comparison to the common American or Atlasian spelling, example colour versus color.

7 – The Region of Canada is free to establish itself in anyway it pleases. After entering the Republic of Atlasia, the Region is free to draft a constitution and hold elections, the Federal Government will allow the Canadians to continue to operate the parliamentary system and recognize the English Monarch as the head of state, but purely a figurehead in role. 

Section 2 – Inter-Relations and Mergers

1 – All of the Federal powers of the Canadian Government shall be transferred to the appropriate powers in Nyman, this includes military matters and foreign relations.

2 – The Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army will be merged with the Atlasian Armed Forces. Particular names and traditions may be preserved.

3 – Under the Foreign Policy Review the Commonwealth of Canada is to be stricken from the record, the relation between Atlasia and Canada will follow that of the United States and Atlasia.

4 – The Game Moderator will act as events in Canada are a domestic concern to those living in Atlasia. The events of Ontario and the events of Alabama will have equal relevance and Canada, and Canadian will be treated as Atlasian citizens and no preference given.

Section 3 – Confirmation of the Act

1 – After passing the Senate, and pending approval of the President of the Republic, a referendum shall be held to confirm the popular mood of Atlasia in the unification. Specifics of the referendum are to be reached by the Senate and Secretary of Forum Affairs.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »

Written by President Seige40, introduced by me.

The Unification of Canada and Atlasia Act

Preamble

Whereas there is a significant number of Canadians, and others hailing from the Commonwealth

Whereas it was recently decided that the unification of Canada is acceptable to a plurality of the people of Atlasia

Whereas Atlasia would benefit by expanding its political frontiers

We hereby conclude to unite the nations of Atlasia and Canada.

Section 1 – Canada, The Region

1 – The ten provinces, and three territories that compromise the nation of Canada shall be reorganized to fit into the prescribed ten-state rule.

2 – The three territories will be consolidated into one state named the Arctic Atlasia Abbreviation of Arctic Atlasia will be AA.

3 – The provinces of New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island are to be consolidated together and named New Brunswick.

4 – The provinces and territories of Canada will from now on be referred to as states.

5 – The Region of Canada may preserve all the cultural institutions familiar to the Commonwealth of Canada. The national animal, national anthem, and in general symbols may remain, but will be identified as regional symbols.

6 – Canadian language laws will be respected, and not interfered with by any branch of the government of Atlasia. This includes French and English as official languages, and the particular spelling of words in comparison to the common American or Atlasian spelling, example colour versus color.

7 – The Region of Canada is free to establish itself in anyway it pleases. After entering the Republic of Atlasia, the Region is free to draft a constitution and hold elections, the Federal Government will allow the Canadians to continue to operate the parliamentary system and recognize the English Monarch as the head of state, but purely a figurehead in role. 

Section 2 – Inter-Relations and Mergers

1 – All of the Federal powers of the Canadian Government shall be transferred to the appropriate powers in Nyman, this includes military matters and foreign relations.

2 – The Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy and Canadian Army will be merged with the Atlasian Armed Forces. Particular names and traditions may be preserved.

3 – Under the Foreign Policy Review the Commonwealth of Canada is to be stricken from the record, the relation between Atlasia and Canada will follow that of the United States and Atlasia.

4 – The Game Moderator will act as events in Canada are a domestic concern to those living in Atlasia. The events of Ontario and the events of Alabama will have equal relevance and Canada, and Canadian will be treated as Atlasian citizens and no preference given.

Section 3 – Confirmation of the Act

1 – After passing the Senate, and pending approval of the President of the Republic, a referendum shall be held to confirm the popular mood of Atlasia in the unification. Specifics of the referendum are to be reached by the Senate and Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Why does Masterjedi think we should unify with every known state, country, commonwealth, territory, etc etc? Although the idea of Canada combining with the Atlasia for fantasy makes more sense then that of Guam (And yes were talking about Guam Smiley ) I am still oppossed to it. Can can the voters vote this idiot outta office? Another impieralist bill, it is. A bad Senator, you are.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2005, 03:08:45 PM »

HAH!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2005, 03:19:35 PM »

Mssterjedi, just because you occupy Mike Naso's former seat in the Senate does not mean that you are allowed to propose bills that reach his level of inanity.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2005, 03:29:50 PM »

I'm ok with it if we sell Quebec to France once we get it, jk.

I'm not sure about this bill at the moment.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: July 14, 2005, 03:44:53 PM »

I really don't see anything wrong in the unification of Canada and Atlasia, I'd like to actually be registered where I live for once.

Siege
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #266 on: July 14, 2005, 03:49:27 PM »

Mssterjedi, just because you occupy Mike Naso's former seat in the Senate does not mean that you are allowed to propose bills that reach his level of inanity.

See even Seige wants it, and he's from Canada. Plus I have re-introduced good bills such as the National Parks and Wetlands Acts.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #267 on: July 14, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2005, 04:04:08 PM by Emsworth »

Although I did not notice it when the Puerto Rico Statehood Act was passed, I do notice it now. I might be mistaken, but I have looked, and cannot find a provision authorizing the Senate to admit new states. The only clause I did find was this:

"In the event that a new State joins the United States of America, the Senate may apportion this State to a Region and a District via proper legislation."

To me the meaning of this clause is clear. If a state joins the U.S. in real life, it automatically becomes a part of Atlasia, and the Senate determines the region and district which it is to join. The Senate itself cannot, as far as I can tell, admit states on its own.

It's quite possible that I am wrong, but neither Article I nor Article IV contradicts this analysis.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #268 on: July 14, 2005, 04:03:28 PM »

Don't they have to "apply" for statehood?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2005, 04:14:20 PM »

Emsworth Statement: It doesn't say the Senate can't admit states though.

Texasgurl Question: It says near the end that the Canadains take a vote on it.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #270 on: July 14, 2005, 04:16:17 PM »

The Senate is a body of enumerated powers. It does not, in my view, have the authority to admit states unless the power is specifically granted. Furthermore, the inclusion of the clause I pointed out above seems to rule out the possibility of the Senate admitting states on its own. Instead, that clause appears to indicate that new states join Atlasia only if they do so in real life as well.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: July 14, 2005, 04:36:55 PM »

The Senate is a body of enumerated powers. It does not, in my view, have the authority to admit states unless the power is specifically granted. Furthermore, the inclusion of the clause I pointed out above seems to rule out the possibility of the Senate admitting states on its own. Instead, that clause appears to indicate that new states join Atlasia only if they do so in real life as well.

I'm sorry to say this but Emsworth is right. Since it is not a power delegated to the Senate as enumerated in the Powers of the Senate section of the Constitution. Since this is not delegated to the federal government it would be up to the provinces themselves to apply for statehood. If you are in support of this you could talk with Sec State WMS about an official resolution encouraging the Provinces of Canada to hold referenda on statehood and with John Ford to get things moving on the GM side of things.

Also as the Dominion of Canada is a sovereign nation it is thus not entitled to follow the acts, laws, or resolutions of other sovereign nations. Section 3 seems to state that the Canadian government must do when it has no obligation to do it.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #272 on: July 14, 2005, 04:39:14 PM »

I'm sorry to say this but Emsworth is right. Since it is not a power delegated to the Senate as enumerated in the Powers of the Senate section of the Constitution. Since this is not delegated to the federal government it would be up to the provinces themselves to apply for statehood. If you are in support of this you could talk with Sec State WMS about an official resolution encouraging the Provinces of Canada to hold referenda on statehood and with John Ford to get things moving on the GM side of things.

Also as the Dominion of Canada is a sovereign nation it is thus not entitled to follow the acts, laws, or resolutions of other sovereign nations. Section 3 seems to state that the Canadian government must do when it has no obligation to do it.

Canada isnot a dominion.
It's full official name is just Canada.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: July 14, 2005, 04:50:09 PM »

Dominion was its name, then we scrapped some colonial yolk. Yay!

Siege
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »

I'm very sorry to this, but I am compelled to do so by the rules.

Pursuant to Article 3, Section 1, Clause 4, I declare that the Unification of Canada and Atlasia Bill is unconstitutional. I find as follows:

1. The Constitution does not in any way, explicitly or implicitly, grant the Senate the power to admit new states to the Union. Instead, it only provides as follows:

"In the event that a new State joins the United States of America, the Senate may apportion this State to a Region and a District via proper legislation."

This Clause clearly suggests that if a state is admitted to the real United States, then it is also admitted automatically to the fantasy Republic. The Senate's only role is to determine the region and district to which the new state belongs. There is no authority to create or admit new states; the Senate, being one of enumerated powers only, cannot constitutionally pass this act.

2. The Constitution does not anywhere grant the Senate the power to create a new region. Therefore, by attempting to create a Region of Canada, the bill violates the Constitution.

Therefore, pursuant to the rules, I find this bill unconstitutional, and with great regret, remove it from the Senate floor. The sponsor may challenge my ruling in twenty-four hours; the challenge requires the approval of one-third of the Senate to override my ruling.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies