Legislation Introduction Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:42:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Legislation Introduction Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29
Author Topic: Legislation Introduction Thread  (Read 106713 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2005, 12:42:53 PM »

Nothing will make you happy.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »

Legislation is supposed to present distinct, quantifiable specifics that can be followed to the letter, not vague, essentially unimplementable guidelines.

Your "legislation" sounds more like a resolution than a bill.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2005, 05:50:12 PM »

Wow, good bill Naso.  Can't wait to get debate on this started.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2005, 05:56:34 PM »

Well, I take it from the third-person phrase "NOTE FROM WRITER" that he didn't write it, but hey, one good bill is certainly a start.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2005, 07:14:00 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2005, 08:14:22 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

ANWR Drilling Authorization Bill[/b]

Definitions

1.   The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is 19.6 million acres of land in Northeast Alaska of which much of said Refuge was declared Wilderness in 1980 by the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA).

2.   Part of the Section of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge not declared Wilderness (referred to as the “1002 Area” in ANILCA) comprises 1.5 million acres of land in the Refuge, and Section 1002 of ANILCA directs the Department of the Interior to prepare a report on the oil and gas potential in this coastal plain, and the effect that oil development would have on the region's natural resources. 

3.   Section 1003 of ANILCA states that oil and gas production or any oil and gas leasing from ANWR would require authorization by an act of Congress (or the Senate).

4.   The Interior Sub-Department estimates that the “1002 Area” holds between 5.7 billion and 16 billion barrels of recoverable reserves, or, at peak production, up to one million barrels per day of new domestic oil supply.  The development footprint from production would cover about one-tenth of one percent of the “1002 Area”.

Clauses

1.   Under Section 1003 of ANILCA, the Senate shall authorize the Interior Sub-Department of the Department of Defense and Security to open the leasing of land to companies for the production of oil and gas within the so-called “1002 Area” as defined by ANILCA.

2.   Leases shall only be prioritized by the Interior Sub-Department in favor of those companies whose environmental records are exemplary and whose planned projects within the “1002 Area” are sound and meet with EPA and Interior Sub-Department approval.

3.   The revenues for the federal government (specifically the Interior Sub-Department) from such leasing are projected to be $2.4 billion dollars in FY 2006 according to government estimates.

4.   No less than one-half (50%) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the revenues received by said leasing must be shown as revenue by the Interior Sub-Department and may only be authorized to fund expenditures by the Interior Sub-Department as already stated by the Preliminary Atlasian Budget for FY 2006 and in future Fiscal Years must be shown as revenue and may only be authorized to fund expenditures by the Interior Sub-Department as shall be stated in those Budgets.

5.   No less than none (0%) and no greater than one-half (50%) of the revenues received by said leasing in FY 2006 and in future Fiscal Years may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to either fund research into alternative energy resources (e.g. coal, nuclear energy, etc.) through the Energy Sub-Department of the Department of Treasury and Social Services or to give targeted tax credits to companies involved in the research of said alternative energy resources.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2005, 11:10:37 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2005, 04:43:42 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

Repeal of the Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act

Co-Sponsor:  Senator NixonNow (ACA-NJ)

Clauses

1.     The Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act is hereby repealed.

2.   The projected savings to the Federal Government is projected to be $17.65 Billion dollars for FY 2006 and a projected $176.50 Billion dollars over the next ten years.

3.     All funds previously appropriated by the Senate for FY 2005 to fulfill the requirements of this legislation shall be honored by the Federal Government.

4.   All appropriations and other moneys set to be authorized for fulfillment of this legislation in the Preliminary Version of the Federal Budget for FY 2006 and all future Fiscal Years shall be terminated.

5.   If previous appropriations have resulted in the construction of new facilities or the purchase of land for the construction of new facilities, the land or new facilities must be sold at a fair price to private concerns and the resulting revenue must be included in the Education Sub-Department of the Treasury and Social Services Department revenue figures for the proceeding Fiscal Year.

6.   A sum of no less than three-fourths (75% or $13.2375 Billion dollars) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this repeal of this Act must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

7.   A sum of no less than none (0%) and no greater than one-fourth (25% or $4.4125 Billion dollars) of the appropriations and money procured by the repeal of the Act may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to fund appropriations and expenditures exclusively within the Education Sub-Department for FY 2006.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

The Diplomatic Mission Act[/u]

Primary Sponsor:[/u] Senator MAS117 (CUP-NJ)
Co-Sponsor[/u]: Senator Colin Wixted (CUP-PA)

§ I. The President of Atlasia shall have power to negoitiate Treaties and establish diplomatic relations with other micronations or forums, but such Treaties and relations shall only have effect where ratified by the Senate.

§ II. If the need arises within the establishment of a relationship with another foreign entity, the President shall appoint Ambassadors with the advice and consent of the majority of the Senate.

§ III. The Ambassadorship does not qualify as an Office under the Government of Atlasia.

§ IV. The Presidential nominee for an Ambassadorship must be be voted for in the affirmative by a majority of the Senate in order to be confirmed.

§ V. The Ambassador's will report directly to the Secretary of State, who in turn will report directly to the President of Atlasia.

§ VI. It shall be the job of the Bureau of Diplomatic Security (a sub-department within the Department of State) to protect Ambassdor's in foreign nations. It shall be the job of the Marine Security Guard Battalion to guard and protect Atlasian Embassies in foreign nations.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2005, 07:53:51 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2005, 04:05:10 PM by Senator MAS117 »

The Nuclear Restriction Act[/u]

Written By:[/u] Secretary of State Siege40
Primary Sponsor:[/u] Senator MAS117 (CUP-NJ)

§ I The Government of Atlasia will neither sell technology in the process to generate nuclear weapons, or operational nuclear weapons to foreign powers.

§ II. In the Foreign Policy, all instances referring to ‘No military Restrictions,’ excludes nuclear weapons and nuclear weapon technology.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2005, 04:55:07 PM by Senator MAS117 »

I withdraw the The Bringing The Vote Resolution.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #109 on: April 17, 2005, 07:25:49 PM »

In preparation for the new Constitution, I have prepared this amendment.

Constitutional Amendment to the Right to Bear Arms Clause in the Bill Of Rights, Article VI, Clause 4

Article VI, Clause 4 shall be struck from the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia and replaced with the following amendment which shall replace the eliminated clause as Article VI, Clause 4:

The right to bear fire-arms and low-potency explosives shall not be infringed.  The definition of a low-potency explosive may be determined by the Senate in appropriate legislation.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2005, 08:15:41 PM »

The New Mexico - Montana Regional Bill

Clause I

The State of New Mexico shall henceforth be located in the Pacific Region.

Clause II

The State of Montana shall henceforth be located in the Midwest Region.

Clause III

This bill shall take effect following the next Regional election upon approval by the Senate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Y'all knew it had to appear sometime. Cheesy
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2005, 12:24:46 AM »

Repeal of Family Planning Amendments of 2004

Clauses
1.     The entirety of the Family Planning Amendments of 2004 are hereby repealed, specifically Sections (a) and (b) of F.L. 3-6.  It shall be noted that Sections (c) and (d) were repealed by F.L. 5-5.

2.     All funds previously appropriated by the Senate for FY 2005 to fulfill the requirements of this legislation shall be honored by the Federal Government.

3.   All appropriations and other moneys set to be authorized for fulfillment of this legislation in the Preliminary Version of the Federal Budget for FY 2006 and all future Fiscal Years shall be terminated.

4.   All (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this repeal of this Act must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

5.   The projected savings to the general Budgetary fund of the Federal Government is estimated at approximately $25 million for FY 2006.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2005, 08:46:37 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2005, 08:50:43 PM by Senator Gabu, PPT »

I've always said that I'm in support of regional rights in things that don't concern the nation as a whole, so I think it's time to put my money where my mouth is.  The following is an amendment to the new Constitution; I'm assuming we'll have it in place by the time this comes up for a vote.  I recognize that we're not going to get to this; this is just so it'll be here for the next session of the Senate.

Restriction of Definitions Amendment

§ 1. The text "Marriage and Divorce, and Adoption" is hereby stricken from section 5, clause 5 of the Constitution.

Given the current mess we're in, these three things are what I feel we can do without the federal government regulating them against the regions' will.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2005, 07:30:36 PM »

I would like to propose an ammendment to the Constitution:

Article 1, Section 5, Line 31:

"To provide for nessesary anti-poverty legislation"
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2005, 07:48:08 PM »

Senate Residency Requirement

Section 1

The Senate shall require that all persons wishing to run for either a Class A or Class B Senate seat must have been a legal resident of that region or district for at least 2 months prior to the election or appointment by the governor of that region.

(It is not the best written bill, but we will have time to discuss later)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2005, 07:59:11 PM »

I would like to propose an ammendment to the Constitution:

Article 1, Section 5, Line 31:

"To provide for nessesary anti-poverty legislation"

I'm going to expand on this and then resubmit it.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2005, 08:06:14 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2005, 11:15:16 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

Proposed Amendment to the Constitution:

Section 1

The Congress shall have the right to approve any legislation that they see as being necessary and proper for the alleviation of poverty throughout Atlasia.

Section 2

As we recognize that not all conditions that result in poverty are the same, and thus not all possible programs will work for all individuals, it shall be the right of the Senate to create legislation that specifically targets certain groups or subpopulations of Atlasia.

Section 3

The Federal government shall have the right to sublet the responsibility of any programs or monies to the various regions, provided that the government of those regions approve of bearing the responsibility.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2005, 02:47:22 PM »

Proposed Bill on Farm Subsidies (may need refinement):

Farm Subsidy Limit Act

Section 1: All future agricultural subsidies, starting in FY2007, shall be capped at a value of $15 billion per year in FY2005 dollars, to be adjusted for inflation.

Section 2: All present subsidies shall continue through FY2006. The Department of the Treasury, in conjunction with Congress, shall be responsible for a thorough review of current subsidies, to determine where neccesary reductions shall be made.

Section 3: These restrictions will be lifted in only in the following circumstances:
    3.i. During a time of Congressionally declared war;
    3.ii. Invididual aid in Federal Disaster areas;
    3.iii. A Congressionally declared famine emergency.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2005, 11:01:42 AM »

We probably wont get to it in this Senate but here it is:

Federal Activity Requirements Statute

The Senate notes that:

1. The present activity requirement requires 25 posts between elections in order for a voter to be defined as active, without specifying whether such requirements apply for general elections only, or includes special elections.

2. That special elections can occur as soon as one week after a general election, thus potentially disenfranchising many legitimate voters.

Clauses:

1. All those persons who have posted at least 25 times in the 8 weeks (56 days) prior to the commencement of an election shall be defined as active for the purposes of that election.

2. Those persons considered inactive (defined as not active) shall not be qualified to vote in a particular election.

3. Section 5 of the Election Procedures, Certification and Challenges Act is repealed

4. The Amendment to the Statute of Election Procedures, Certification, and Challenges Act is repealed.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2005, 07:52:08 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2005, 11:14:51 PM by Senator MAS117 »

Senate Resolution

Primary Sponsor: Senator MAS117

Whereas, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia hereby recongizes and thanks forum member Jravnsbo for his service in the United States Armed Forces, as he is off in Iraq guarding our freedom and protecting our nation. 

Whereas, the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia hereby authorizes and urges the President of the Republic of Atlasia to bestow and nominate Jravnsbo for the Atlasian Silver Star.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

For Gabu, I am preparing to add another section to the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, detailing the vote rules on Cabinet members and Justices (since I missed that somehow).

I would like, if possible, for this not to be introduced now, if you're thinking about introducing more legislation and introduce it at the beginning of the next session when we have a full Senate as part of the Expired legislation.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 02, 2005, 04:58:34 PM »

For Gabu, I am preparing to add another section to the Official Senate Procedural Resolution, detailing the vote rules on Cabinet members and Justices (since I missed that somehow).

I would like, if possible, for this not to be introduced now, if you're thinking about introducing more legislation and introduce it at the beginning of the next session when we have a full Senate as part of the Expired legislation.

Okay, although I'm not entirely sure whether or not we'll be able to get to any more legislation.  We only have until this Friday before the sixth session ends.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: May 02, 2005, 05:28:28 PM »

Okay, although I'm not entirely sure whether or not we'll be able to get to any more legislation.  We only have until this Friday before the sixth session ends.

I understand.  I was just giving a headsup.  Besides, a monster like this one is something that should be debated by the whole Senate, not just by a few, imo.

Yes, I fully agree.

I think you kind of beat out my dual electoral reform amendment and statute in terms of legislation size. Cheesy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2005, 03:50:13 PM »

I think you kind of beat out my dual electoral reform amendment and statute in terms of legislation size. Cheesy

Ah, the good old days, back when we thought that would actually fix the electoral system. Cheesy
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2005, 01:44:03 PM by Senator Sam Spade »

Official Senate Procedural Resolution[/b]

Article 1:  Purpose and Definitions[/b]

Section 1:  Purpose

The purpose of this Procedural Resolution is to provide the Senate with detailed, yet flexible rules for parliamentary procedure, define clearly the powers and prerogatives of the President Pro-Tempore (PPT) and the President of the Senate within the affairs of the Senate, excepting those provisions so stated by the Constitution, and provide a speedy, yet careful process for legislation to proceed from the Senator to the Senate to the President for Passage or Veto.  It is also designed to clean up many of the inconsistencies, redundant clauses and vague wording of previous Senate Procedural Resolutions.

Section 2:  Definitions

1.   Legislation is defined as any Bill, Amendment, or Resolution to a current Act, Procedural Resolution, or Constitutional Amendment.

2.   In all past, present and future instances of the terms, a Bill is defined as a piece of legislation that is awaiting or is presently in debate on the Senate floor.  An Act is defined as a Bill that has achieved passage into Law.

Article 2:  Powers and Responsibilities of the President Pro-Tempore (PPT) and the President of the Senate[/b]

Section 1:  Powers and Responsibilities of the President Pro-Tempore

1.   The President Pro-Tempore, to be further known in this document as the PPT, shall be the Presiding Officer of the Senate and shall be responsible for upholding the provisions of this Procedural Resolution when it is in his power to do so individually or, as so defined in this document, whenever joint consideration with either the President of the Senate or the members of the Senate.

2.   The PPT shall also be responsible for maintaining regular contact with the President of the Senate, in case such need arises for joint use of power as laid out under Article 7 of this Procedural Resolution.

3.   It is also the PPT’s responsibility to present himself/herself to the rest of the Senate as an exemplary member and to make sure that the Senate’s debate remains civil and orderly at all times.

Section 2:  Powers of the President of the Senate

1.   The President of the Senate, in addition to his powers so stated in the Constitution, shall retain the powers and prerogatives as the Presiding Officer of the Senate under the following circumstances:
a.   A publicly announced absence by the PPT from the Atlas Forum.
b.   If the PPT has been inactive from the Atlas Forum for seven (7) days. 
c.   In any case where the PPT has failed to uphold the provisions of this Procedural Resolution when it is in his power to do so individually.
d.   During any period of time when no Senator is presently holding the office of PPT.

2.   The President of the Senate shall also be responsible for maintaining regular contact with the PPT, in case such need arises for joint use of power as laid out under Article 7 of this Procedural Resolution.

Article 3:  Rules on Legislation Introduction and Reintroducing Expired Legislation[/b]

Section 1:  Rules on Legislation Introduction

1.   The PPT shall establish and maintain a thread for Senators to introduce legislation, to be further known in this document as the Legislation Introduction Thread.  Only Senators who presently hold elected office may be allowed to post in this thread.  Any Citizens or Individuals who post in this thread may be subject to legal action pursuant to the relevant clauses in federal Criminal Law legislation so passed by the Senate.

2.   The PPT shall also establish and maintain a thread for all Citizens and Individuals of Atlasia to give opinions, thoughts, suggestions and ideas about recently introduced legislation or legislation presently under debate on the Senate floor.  This clause is not meant to deny Citizens or Individuals their right to post on Senate debate threads dealing with specific legislation presently being debated on the Senate floor.

3.   In the first seven (7) days of any new Session of the Senate, but at no other time during a Session of the Senate, the PPT may start a new Legislation Introduction Thread or a new commentary thread on legislation, as defined in Clause 2 of this Section, if the PPT determines that either thread has become too long or has been diverted off-topic.  Any legislation relevant to the present Session of the Senate that has been introduced on the old Legislation Introduction Thread must be posted on the new Legislation Introduction Thread by the PPT.

4.   If the PPT determines that a piece of legislation is functionally impractical, frivolous, or is directly unconstitutional, he may, in a public post on the Legislation Introduction thread, remove said legislation from the Senate floor.  The sponsoring Senator of the legislation shall have seventy-two (72) hours to challenge this action in a public post, and with the concurrence of one-third (1/3) of office-holding Senators in the affirmative (excluding the PPT), may override the actions of the PPT.  (Nasolation clause)

5.   If the PPT determines that a piece of legislation addresses two or more divorced subjects, he may, in a public post on the Legislation Introduction thread, remove said legislation from the Senate floor, strike any Sections from said legislation that deal with unrelated subjects, or split said legislation into multiple pieces of legislation which deal with only one subject individually.  The sponsoring Senator of the legislation shall have seventy-two (72) hours to challenge this action in a public post, and with the concurrence of two-thirds (2/3) of office-holding Senators in the affirmative (excluding the PPT), may override the actions of the PPT.

6.   The PPT may also utilize the Powers laid out in this previous Clause (Clause 5 of this Section) at any time during the Senate Debate on said legislation, as laid out in Article 4, Section 1 of this Resolution.  The rules for challenging the PPT’s actions by the sponsoring Senator shall also apply in this situation.

Section 2:  Rules on Introducing Legislation to the Senate Floor

1.   The PPT will designate each piece of legislation debate time on the Senate Floor in the order of which it is posted in the Legislation Introduction thread.

2.   At any one time there may be no more than four (4) Bills/Constitutional Amendments/Resolutions on the Senate Floor being debated upon or voted upon by the Senate.

3.   Pursuant to Clauses 1 and 2 of this Section, legislation may only be introduced on the Senate floor by the PPT after another piece of legislation currently on the Senate floor is either:
a.   signed into law by the President or simply becomes law (by executive inaction for seven (7) days).
b.   in case of a Bill or Resolution, rejected by a majority of the Senate after a vote is called.
c.   in the case of a Amendment to the Constitution, rejected by more than one-third (1/3) of the Senate.
d.   withdrawn from the floor by the sponsor.

4.   In case of a veto override vote, legislation may only be introduced after the veto is sustained or overridden in a vote by the Senate.

5.   In case of a vote on an Amendment to the Constitution, legislation may only be introduced after the Senate has approved the Amendment in question and every Region has started a Public Poll on the Amendment, as so laid out in Article VII of the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia.

6.   After any one of these events so stated in Clause 3 of this Section occurs, the PPT must wait at least twenty-four (24) hours before introducing new legislation to the Senate floor, but may wait no longer than seventy-two (72) hours before introducing said new legislation.

Section 3:  Rules on Reintroducing Expired Legislation

1.   Within seventy-two (72) hours after the beginning of a new Session of the Senate, the PPT shall start a thread detailing expired legislation left over from the previous Senate session, to be further known in this document as the Expired Legislation thread.  In order for legislation to be reintroduced, said legislation must not have received public debate time on the Senate floor, or if debate time has been given, must have not come up for a public vote in front of the full Senate.  Any withdrawn legislation from the previous Session may not be eligible for reintroduction.

2.   Office-holding Senators will be given seventy-two (72) hours from the starting of the Expired Legislation thread to reintroduce any piece of expired legislation by public post.  After seventy-two (72) hours, any legislation that has not been reintroduced shall be removed from the Senate agenda.  Said legislation may be reintroduced by any Senator at a later time, but it must then follow the rules and guidelines for legislation introduction so laid out in Section 1 of this Article.

3.   The PPT will designate each piece of reintroduced legislation debate time on the Senate Floor in the order of which it was originally introduced on the Legislation Introduction Thread.

4.   The PPT must wait at least twenty-four (24) hours after the Expired Legislation thread is officially closed before introducing reintroduced legislation to the Senate floor, but may wait no longer than seventy-two (72) hours before introducing said legislation.

5.   If a Budget must be approved at the beginning of a Senate Session, as laid out in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution, said reintroduced legislation may only be brought to the floor of the Senate by the PPT after a Budget has been approved.

6.   The PPT must wait at twenty-four (24) hours, but may wait no longer than seventy-two (72) hours after a Budget has been approved before bringing reintroduced legislation to the Senate floor for debate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies