Valentine's Day Plans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:41:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Valentine's Day Plans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Valentine's Day Plans  (Read 3959 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
« edited: February 14, 2013, 09:17:25 PM by Simfan34 »

Went out yesterday, because going to a restaurant on Valentine's Day is just asking for bland food and sub-par service. Oh, and as of a couple of weeks ago I am no longer able to drink alcohol, for medical reasons, so that really spoils the experience of going out. We had several inches of snowfall last night, and everything was covered with a beautiful fresh coat of wet snow, so we also went on a romantic walk.

Tonight we'll be staying in. Drinking tea, eating crackers, working on a puzzle, and probably watching Farscape. And I can say completely seriously that life is fantastic.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/14/valentine_s_day_dinner_reservations_skip_em.html

Cribbed from Matthew Yglesias?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Seriously, what kind of shitty person gets mad at their boyfriend for giving them a sweet gift like flowers?

The same type that would claim there is something subtly sexist about it (i.e., the wing of your party that you identify with).
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »

Seriously, what kind of shitty person gets mad at their boyfriend for giving them a sweet gift like flowers?

The same type that would claim there is something subtly sexist about it (i.e., the wing of your party that you identify with).

I certainly don't identify with anyone that thinks giving a gift to your significant other is sexist.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »

Probably watching the Heat vs. Thunder game.

And of course Lakers-Clippers. Both were great and I didn't even realize it was Valentine's Day. I guess my roommate and I had a wonderful date night.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »

I certainly don't identify with anyone that thinks giving a gift to your significant other is sexist.

Ah, but you emphasized roses. Surely many of your friends from your wing of the party think that that reinforces sexist stereotypes. "Not ALL women like flowers! Why are you playing into chauvinistic gender definitions?" You know, like the fools at Jezebel that bash men for saying, "You don't need all of that makeup. You look beautiful just the way you are."  "How dare a man assume we care about what he thinks regarding our looks? If I listen to him about makeup, I'm playing right into his controlling trap!"

Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Phil, the thing about Jezebel is that it's a terrible, terrible site that most serious and committed feminists of my acquaintance (which is, admittedly, completely anecdotal) despise.

Having said that, giving anybody unsolicited advice about their makeup is a somewhat touchy proposition, as well it should be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:57 AM »

Yes, calling someone naturally beautiful/saying they don't need all kinds of cosmetics to look good is a very, very serious swipe.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »

I'm going to go ahead and introduce my tangential beliefs regarding the subject of women complaining, being insulted, etc. about or by the actions of men. I find it to be a sexist and self-deprecating practice for women to make themselves out to be so clueless that they take compliments as insults. They largely make themselves out to be helpless and mentally incapable of complex relationship related conflicts. And of course I can't end this post without a disclaimer since I'm sure I'll be eviscerated for nothing else if I don't; I don't think all women are like this and I don't think it's all their fault or that they are in fact helpless, mentally incapable, or clueless. I think they're above their actions, but we've created a culture in which women are both "empowered" and intellectually equal to men yet still are taught they are princesses that need to be pampered in order to have respect for themselves. In a woman, I look for someone who isn't so self-absorbed that they'd be mad at a man for complimenting her, buying her something, or treating her special. I think our cultural views of women needs a lot of work. Valentine's Day only highlights that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2013, 02:24:41 PM »

I went to an anti-Valentine's party; there was a bonfire and I was fairly baked and a bit sloshed throughout the evening, and made quite a few new friends. I was also able to engage in some excellent intercourse at the end of the night, so in spite of being single I was still able to experience one of the best parts of the holiday.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »

Yes, calling someone naturally beautiful/saying they don't need all kinds of cosmetics to look good is a very, very serious swipe.

I didn't say it was serious--in fact I used the word 'somewhat' for a reason--and there's a difference between unsolicited compliments--usually a good thing regardless of gender, unless they're sexualized, embarrassing for some reason, objectively inaccurate, or otherwise weird!--and unsolicited advice--which can be good or bad.

Also, wow that was a lot of em-dashes, even for me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:13 AM »

Taking the girl to a nice restaurant serving the food of her homeland.

Her homeland? Are you exploiting a third worlder?

Haha, well played.

She is a third worlder of sorts but she's a strong independent woman who paid for her own flight ticket to come see me on Valentine's, so there. Wink
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »

I'll get the wife some cheap flowers at the grocery store and we'll lay some pipe after the kids are off to school.  The trick is to get them to the point where they aren't expecting much.
Didn't even get the flowers.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

I went to a party at a friend's apartment after a normal Thursday, got drunk, and got a cute German girl's number, though it didn't turn out to anything. I liked Valentine's Day better when I was in a relationship.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »

I'll get the wife some cheap flowers at the grocery store and we'll lay some pipe after the kids are off to school.  The trick is to get them to the point where they aren't expecting much.

Did you "lay some pipe" at least?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 03:56:19 PM »

Ah, but you emphasized roses. Surely many of your friends from your wing of the party think that that reinforces sexist stereotypes. "Not ALL women like flowers! Why are you playing into chauvinistic gender definitions?" You know, like the fools at Jezebel that bash men for saying, "You don't need all of that makeup. You look beautiful just the way you are."  "How dare a man assume we care about what he thinks regarding our looks? If I listen to him about makeup, I'm playing right into his controlling trap!"

Tongue
Phil, the thing about Jezebel is that it's a terrible, terrible site that most serious and committed feminists of my acquaintance (which is, admittedly, completely anecdotal) despise.

Having said that, giving anybody unsolicited advice about their makeup is a somewhat touchy proposition, as well it should be.
Phil and Nathan, be careful.  My church teaches that wearing makeup is wrong because Jezebel wore it in the Bible.  I don't agree, mainly because they're playing guilt by association, but that's kind of touchy for me.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 06:24:37 PM »

Jezebel in this context refers to a website, Oldiesfreak.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »

Phil and Nathan, be careful.  My church teaches that wearing makeup is wrong because Jezebel wore it in the Bible.  I don't agree, mainly because they're playing guilt by association, but that's kind of touchy for me.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2013, 05:40:13 AM »

Did you "lay some pipe" at least?
Yes sir!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies