POPE TO ABDICATE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:55:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  POPE TO ABDICATE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: POPE TO ABDICATE  (Read 10247 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:34 PM »

Sure, it's theological. I said that. I just don't believe it is a fundamental tenant and people shouldn't leave (either because it isn't allowed or is eventually allowed) because of it.

BRTD, read my edit. I originally thought you meant what would I do if it was allowed. I re-read it and edited my remark. If your female friend is more concerned with the important of who is saying mass than what is being said in mass then she should probably leave for other reasons. But let's call this what it is: you wanting to get into a discussion about one of your silly anecdotes that I really don't care about.

1-We don't have "mass" and neither does the church she was raised in.
2-It's not a case of being concerned over who is preaching ("saying mass" isn't really accurate here) than that SHE wanted to do it, which wouldn't be an option without converting.

But thanks for your answer. Despite what you say at the end this is actually a valid question, I see it as if conservative Catholics and complimentarian Protestants want to refuse to ordain women they have a right to their opinion, but it becomes a little absurd to expect no one to be offended and especially women to not leave in these circumstances, especially considering in most cases no one asked them if they wanted to be a part of that church.

(FWIW she basically converted to ELCA after high school and went to one of their seminaries here, so there was obvious sincerity and not just wanting to make a statement.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:21 PM »

Great. Bye. If your membership in this Church depends on who the Pope is then you really aren't a serious Roman Catholic anyway.

And don't give me the "You're a typical right winger Catholic, Phil!" You know my position on idiotic proposals that have been trumpeted by certain conservatives (like denying Eucharist to Pro Choice politicians).

If Michael Moore had decided to become a priest, and rose up to be a cardinal, and kept the same obnoxious, overtly political personality, and then was somehow elected pope, I think you would feel pretty abandoned by the Church.

And I'm aware that you oppose denying Communion.  You tell me all the time even though I've never said you support it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2013, 11:19:10 PM »

Just out of curiosity Harry, what do you think of the case with my friend listed above (since I know you share the same position as her on this theological issue.) Imagine she was raised Catholic instead of conservative Protestant.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:54 PM »

Just out of curiosity Harry, what do you think of the case with my friend listed above (since I know you share the same position as her on this theological issue.) Imagine she was raised Catholic instead of conservative Protestant.

If she's doing what she feels is the best thing for her and her community, then I'm happy for her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2013, 11:27:03 PM »

Sure, it's theological. I said that. I just don't believe it is a fundamental tenant and people shouldn't leave (either because it isn't allowed or is eventually allowed) because of it.

BRTD, read my edit. I originally thought you meant what would I do if it was allowed. I re-read it and edited my remark. If your female friend is more concerned with the important of who is saying mass than what is being said in mass then she should probably leave for other reasons. But let's call this what it is: you wanting to get into a discussion about one of your silly anecdotes that I really don't care about.

1-We don't have "mass" and neither does the church she was raised in.
2-It's not a case of being concerned over who is preaching ("saying mass" isn't really accurate here) than that SHE wanted to do it, which wouldn't be an option without converting.

But thanks for your answer. Despite what you say at the end this is actually a valid question, I see it as if conservative Catholics and complimentarian Protestants want to refuse to ordain women they have a right to their opinion, but it becomes a little absurd to expect no one to be offended and especially women to not leave in these circumstances, especially considering in most cases no one asked them if they wanted to be a part of that church.

(FWIW she basically converted to ELCA after high school and went to one of their seminaries here, so there was obvious sincerity and not just wanting to make a statement.)

...as I said, this was all about you and your anecdotes, right down to the "LOL UH WE DON'T HAVE MASS! STUUUUUPID!" Most predictable moron on the forum.

Harry, I wouldn't like the scenario you spelled out but a) it isn't comparable and b) I still wouldn't leave or even threaten to leave.

I'm not saying you believe I support the denial of Communion. I'm just stating my position as a reminder that I'm not some uber conservative toolbox.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »

Oh vey, you all know that the Malachy prophecy is a cheap forgery, right....? even if the vague Nostradamus like phrases sometimes link up?

This is one reason why I greet the Pope's announcement with enthusiasm: only one more left before we never have to hear about St. Malachy and his "prophecy" again!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2013, 01:41:33 AM »

Harry, what do you think about my proposal of this guy for Pope? (Sure he's not Catholic but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be an awesome pick!)
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2013, 07:56:49 AM »

They should pick a gay guy.

Oh wait.......
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2013, 08:35:51 AM »

AND NOW I FIND OUT THE YOUNGEST CARDINAL IS A MALAYSIAN
You fail reading comprehension forever. Malayali ≠ Malaysian. Malayali = Keralan.

He's not a Roman Catholic. So I have real problems envisaging his election. Though that would make it extra cool.

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »

You fail reading comprehension forever. Malayali ≠ Malaysian. Malayali = Keralan.

He's not a Roman Catholic. So I have real problems envisaging his election. Though that would make it extra cool.

It nearly happened once before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A9goire-Pierre_Agagianian
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

It nearly happened once before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A9goire-Pierre_Agagianian
Ich nehme alles zurück und behaupte das Gegenteil.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:04 PM »

Which is more shocking?

Pope quits

or

Wrestling is kicked out of the Olympics

Can't wait to see what the third thing will be.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »

Before Harry leaves, he might want to take a look at Cardinal Dolan's most recent Facebook post where he states that he'll pray for "meaningful and effective" gun control measures.

Oh, no! I better leave the Church!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2013, 06:22:12 PM »

Before Harry leaves, he might want to take a look at Cardinal Dolan's most recent Facebook post where he states that he'll pray for "meaningful and effective" gun control measures.

Oh, no! I better leave the Church!

And Michael Moore is a member of the NRA.  They're almost exact mirrors of each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies