Report: Richardson will seek presidential bid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:09:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Report: Richardson will seek presidential bid.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Report: Richardson will seek presidential bid.  (Read 2715 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:41:16 PM »

Report: Richardson will seek presidential bid

Although Gov. Bill Richardson has been coy since last November's election about whether he plans to run for president in 2008, he has told party leaders he will run, according to a Monday report by The Associated Press.

Richardson is one of several Democrats and Republicans mentioned in the report. The story didn't provide any details as to which party leaders Richardson talked to or when he allegedly told them.

Richardson spokesman Billy Sparks downplayed the story -- but he didn't deny it.

Richardson's lobbyist have gone ahead and registered:
richardsonforpresident.com
richardsonforpresident.net
richardsonforpresident.org
richardsonforpresident.us
billrichardsonforpresident.com
billrichardsonforpresident.net
billrichardsonforpresident.org
billrichardsonforpresident.us

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/10236.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 02:54:03 PM »

While he has some nice experience, I think Richardson is overrated. He won't get far if he does run.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 03:09:27 PM »

Richardson is just not all that interesting to me, but he certainly would help in Florida, New Mexico, Nevada, and Colorado.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 03:12:02 PM »

While he has some nice experience, I think Richardson is overrated. He won't get far if he does run.

Yeah, he has the experience, but I also hear he has alot of baggage.      He was connected to some of the Cllinton scandals and a couple other things.  Still, I think he would make a great VP candidate.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 07:02:46 PM »

He's fairly intelligent but also rather dull, I don't think he can top a winning ticket. Not a bad VP choice but not a slam-dunk either.

This is not a surprise by any means.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 07:59:22 PM »

It could be a warm-up for the VP slot.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 09:48:34 PM »

He's a tax cutting Democrat, which would be a good thing nationally, but he would have to survive alot of primaries frontloaded with Northeastern states.   Not good for Richardson.

He also has potential General Election baggage concerning leaks of nuclear technology to the Chinese while he was Sec of Energy.

I don't think he would get the Veep slot either.  Not enough EVs in New Mexico.  However, they might offer him the Sec State job as a means of enticing the Latino vote to vote Dem.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 09:58:58 PM »

He also has potential General Election baggage concerning leaks of nuclear technology to the Chinese while he was Sec of Energy.

Ive been thinking the same thing.  How bad do you think this would cripple the Democratic ticket if he was a VP candidate?

Not enough EVs in New Mexico.  However, they might offer him the Sec State job as a means of enticing the Latino vote to vote Dem.

5 EV's in New Mexico, but 29 in Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and Arizona combined.  This would make him less dependent on having to win Ohio or Florida in order to win the General Election.  If he ccould pick up those 4 states he wouldnt need Ohio or Florida.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 10:09:24 PM »

He would only guarantee New Mexico and maybe turn Nevada. Aside from that he would have no effect.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 10:12:42 PM »

It's hard to say how much the nuke scandal would hurt him as Veep, but you can be sure that the GOP would spend millions reminding everyone about it.  

As far as the Latino vote goes, what percentage of it actually votes, especially in the border states?  I know it's quite high in NM, but large numbers of Mexicans doesn't necessarily mean large numbers of Mexican voters.  A great many are not registered, which can be rectified, but a great many are also illegal aliens, which cannot be rectified.

Considering the size of the Latino population of CA, I would have thought that Cruz Bustamante would have done better than he did.  If I'm not mistaken, Latinos and blacks voted in nearly equal numbers, even though Latinos far outnumber blacks in CA.  It didn't help matters that Arnold split the Latino vote pretty much evenly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 04:51:58 AM »

In case anyone's interested, Richardson polls pretty well in the Little Texas part of New Mexico
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 06:24:15 PM »

The problem with Richardson is that he has no charisma (in my opinion anyway, based on his speech at the last Democratic National Convention).  I also think he's overrated.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 07:29:18 PM »

Richardson is a good policy maker, just he isn't that good when it comes to campaigns...

As for hispanic states...he could swing NM and NV easy, CO could go, FL and AZ wouldn't move into the Dem column
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 09:49:39 PM »

A good VP.  Nothing more.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »

exactamundo