Even if you feel like you might get raped, you may not, so no guns for you
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:37:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Even if you feel like you might get raped, you may not, so no guns for you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Even if you feel like you might get raped, you may not, so no guns for you  (Read 3560 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/02/18/co-democrat-hey-even-if-you-feel-like-youre-gonna-get-raped-you-might-not-so-no-guns-for-you/

“It’s why we have call boxes, it’s why we have safe zones, it’s why we have the whistles. Because you just don’t know who you’re gonna be shooting at. And you don’t know if you feel like you’re gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone’s been following you around or if you feel like you’re in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop … pop around at somebody.”

Ah. This must be what they mean by the war on women.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:51:32 PM »

I watched the video. How does this not make sense? Of course you don't want someone who merely feels uncomfortable to merely pull out a gun and stop shooting. That's why college campuses have blue lights, telephones and public safety.

Obviously misleading OP is misleading.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »

Much ado about nothing. When Akin and Mourdock actually made outrageous comments, they were defended by a lot of right-wingers, who blamed media for misrepresenting the comments.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:38 PM »

I watched the video. How does this not make sense? Of course you don't want someone who merely feels uncomfortable to merely pull out a gun and stop shooting. That's why college campuses have blue lights, telephones and public safety.

Lawful CCW individuals aren't in the business of merely pulling out guns and shooting in such a manner. Indeed, they commit crime and violent crime at a rate far lower than regular folk.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Lawful CCW individuals aren't in the business of merely pulling out guns and shooting in such a manner. Indeed, they commit crime and violent crime at a rate far lower than regular folk.

Proof?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:33 PM »

I'm willing to concede that this may be the case, if you have sources to cite.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:18:49 PM »

Just another Krazen thread. Pay no mind, mates.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

Very well. The great state of Texas keeps track of such things.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL/Reports/ConvictionRatesReport2011.pdf

Texas CHL individuals commit .189% of crimes, including 3 murders, 3 manslaughters, and 20 assaults of family violence.

Texas CHL individuals consist of roughly 1.8% of the overall above 21 population. There are roughly 520,000 such CHL individuals.

These are good law abiding folk that commit far less than their share of crimes.

Kansas came up with the same.

Of the 51,078 permits that have been issued by the state since the law took effect in 2007, 44 permit holders have been charged with a crime while using a firearm through late October, according to records provided by the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.

That works out to one charge for every 1,161 permit holders, or 0.09 percent.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:33:19 PM »

What about stand your ground style shootings in which the shooter commits murder but is rarely charged? Your stats are skewed.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »

I hear the human body has ways of shutting the whole thing down when penetrated by an unwanted bullet.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 05:50:57 PM »

What about stand your ground style shootings in which the shooter commits murder but is rarely charged? Your stats are skewed.

Murder refers to an unlawful shooting. Why are you referring to lawful shootings?

The leftist state of Massachusetts, for one, commits 10 firearm murders per 500,000.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

I hear the human body has ways of shutting the whole thing down when penetrated by an unwanted bullet.

Well, the people are shutting violent criminals down with their guns. Justified homicide is publicly documented.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »

There are over 1800 rapes a day in the United States.
Krazen makes an average of 6 posts a day.
Therefore, every time krazen makes a post, 300 women are raped.

#stopkrazen
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »

A supermajority of rapes are committed by someone who knows the person they're raping. Concealed carry is not a real deterrent against rape, and it's pathetic that Republicans are trying so desperately to flip the rape issue around.

Republicans are the anti-rape party! Unless the rapist is someone the woman knows. Or a popular football player. We all know she probably wanted it anyway, dressing like that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Texas CHL individuals commit .189% of crimes, including 3 murders, 3 manslaughters, and 20 assaults of family violence.

Texas CHL individuals consist of roughly 1.8% of the overall above 21 population. There are roughly 520,000 such CHL individuals.

These are good law abiding folk that commit far less than their share of crimes.

Of the 51,078 permits that have been issued by the state since the law took effect in 2007, 44 permit holders have been charged with a crime while using a firearm through late October, according to records provided by the Kansas Attorney General’s Office.

You're not comparing apples to apples here, Krazen.  Because of the background checks that CCW holders are subjected to, they are already from a group that on average should be less likely to commit crime, since past criminal behavior is a predictor of the probability one will commit crime in the future.  A fair comparison to see whether being of the type that would apply for a CCW permit means you are less likely to commit crime in the future would compare the crime rates of those who have a CCW permit to those who could have one but choose not to get one.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

You're not comparing apples to apples here, Krazen.  Because of the background checks that CCW holders are subjected to, they are already from a group that on average should be less likely to commit crime, since past criminal behavior is a predictor of the probability one will commit crime in the future.  A fair comparison to see whether being of the type that would apply for a CCW permit means you are less likely to commit crime in the future would compare the crime rates of those who have a CCW permit to those who could have one but choose not to get one.

Individuals who could have a CCW permit but lack one are already legally barred from carrying on a college campus. This particular legislation can only target those who possess lawful Colorado CCW permits or those in a state in which Colorado shares reciprocity.

If one's goal is to inhibit unlawful shootings, it is quite curious to target the 2% who are not engaging in such unlawful shootings in the first place.

On the other hand, if one's goal is to single out the 2% due to not liking them, that is standard policy for the Democratic Party. I am certainly used to it myself.

Of course I am quite curious as to how one would determine the denominator of the 'could have one' population figure as such is determined by a proper background check.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »

There are over 1800 rapes a day in the United States.
Krazen makes an average of 6 posts a day.
Therefore, every time krazen makes a post, 300 women are raped.

#stopkrazen

This.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »

The number one killer in the United States is heart disease.  Does that mean we should ban people from having hearts?

Checkmate, liberals.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 09:27:22 PM »

Murder refers to an unlawful shooting. Why are you referring to lawful shootings?

Lawfulness does not automatically imply morality.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:11 PM »

Of course I am quite curious as to how one would determine the denominator of the 'could have one' population figure as such is determined by a proper background check.

I didn't say getting the statistics needed for a proper comparison would be easy. Indeed, that's often the case with statistics. I can think of several good first approximations that wouldn't be too difficult for someone with access to the raw data to compile, such as the crime rate among adults with no criminal convictions that would disqualify them from getting a CCW.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »

This. I appreciate the effort made to provide stats, but the stats you provided are meaningless...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »

After all, deadly weapons are the only deterrent to uneasiness. Sometimes when it's dark in the middle of the night I'm afraid I'll miss a step on my way to the bathroom...I better be allowed to keep my gun around to shoot it if it seems suspicious. After all, it's in the interest of public safety to shoot first and ask questions later...that is if you're a white man or a woman. Otherwise you deserve to go to prison, obviously.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 12:29:13 AM »

cite showing this happens often enough to skew the statistics please
After all, deadly weapons are the only deterrent to uneasiness. Sometimes when it's dark in the middle of the night I'm afraid I'll miss a step on my way to the bathroom...I better be allowed to keep my gun around to shoot it if it seems suspicious. After all, it's in the interest of public safety to shoot first and ask questions later...that is if you're a white man or a woman. Otherwise you deserve to go to prison, obviously.
straw0man smells something
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:31 AM »

The number one killer in the United States is heart disease.  Does that mean we should ban people from having hearts?

Checkmate, liberals.

Most people who have died of poisoning have been found to have high levels of dihydrogen monoxide in their bodies. Clearly this dangerous chemical must be banned.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »

Checkmate, liberals.
This. See this guy gets a free pass for saying this because, see that little letter beside his name, oh yeah there's a D next to it. I know you shouldn't just whip out your gun when you only feel like you're in danger. But come on, if this guy was a Republican people would be infuriated. "Who dare he disrespect women," or "just another statement from the anti-women party." Not to mention this guy would be thrown out of office next election.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies