Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:26:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Five Dollar Footlong, all month long
Italian BMT

Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki

Turkey Breast

Tuna

Turkey & Black Forest Ham

Buffalo Chicken

Hell no!  They got no fries at Subway.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Five Dollar Footlong, all month long  (Read 13926 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 10:54:41 PM »

Baguettes, and bātards for that matter, don't really rock my world.  Too crunchy.  I like a bread that soaks up the juices of the sandwich, but maybe I'll give it a go.  I often see Banh Mi on the menu hereabouts, although when I'm in places where it's on the menu, I usually notice the enormous bowl of Pho Thai and Pho Xe Lua on the same menu, and I can never pass up stewed tripe with basil and cilantro and noodles and spicy chiles.  I'd estimate that I have a steaming bowl of pho at least once a week. 

Although I do like a crunchy sourdough bātard when I'm having marinara sauce, and I like to rub it around in the sauce.  They get soggy if you're patient enough. 

Yeah, I don't know of any place in Nashville that just has Banh Mi sandwiches.

Google is your friend Smiley

Interasian Market and Deli
2160 Nolensville Pike

Kien Gang
5845 Charlotte Pike
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 11:05:37 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2013, 11:10:15 PM by DemPGH »

Subway varies around here - either nice or completely dumpy. But moreover, Subway sandwiches tend to leave a noticeable aftertaste. Not good. I might average a Subway for lunch if I'm in a hurry once every 4 months or so. And that's mainly because I'm not a meat-eater.

If it's "fast food," though, it's got to be Panera Bread. Smiley However, on the rare occasion that I grab a Subway it's usually black forest ham on grain bread, and in the past I've gotten a lot of veggies with it. I think it's one of their low calorie options.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »

Baguettes, and bâtards for that matter, don't really rock my world.  Too crunchy.  I like a bread that soaks up the juices of the sandwich, but maybe I'll give it a go.  I often see Banh Mi on the menu hereabouts, although when I'm in places where it's on the menu, I usually notice the enormous bowl of Pho Thai and Pho Xe Lua on the same menu, and I can never pass up stewed tripe with basil and cilantro and noodles and spicy chiles.  I'd estimate that I have a steaming bowl of pho at least once a week. 

Although I do like a crunchy sourdough bâtard when I'm having marinara sauce, and I like to rub it around in the sauce.  They get soggy if you're patient enough. 

Yeah, I don't know of any place in Nashville that just has Banh Mi sandwiches.

Google is your friend Smiley

Interasian Market and Deli
2160 Nolensville Pike

Kien Gang
5845 Charlotte Pike

Oh I have been to Kien Giang multiple times. I meant some place where I won't be tempted by the Pho. Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 11:37:11 PM »

meatball marinara
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »

Meatball.  I can make any other type of sandwich there from home, but good luck replicating their delicious meatballs!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »

I can't answer the poll. It's missing meatball.

Meatball.  I can make any other type of sandwich there from home, but good luck replicating their delicious meatballs!

Profuse and profound apologies, good sirs.  It was a grave oversight and the poll should never have made it past our large staff of editors before being published.  We humbly submit this erratum and include the following appendix for your approval.

It appears that we have, in addition to the explicit choices, the following:

Meatball Marinara:  5
Veggie Delite:  1

For a complete list, click here.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2013, 11:08:25 AM by Grumps »

After the Banh Mi pic I feel like we're crawling around in the gutter with Subway chatter......but if I had to, I'd go meatball.....exactly like Muon takes his with the red onion, lettuce and oregano, on the italian herb bread.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »

I do really miss a proper sandwich - obviously there are no good sandwiches in Thailand.  But Subway is not good.

Over here I do get the very rare sandwich fix in Laos and Cambodia:

I just had a Bahn Mi yesterday when I went to go get Vietnamese. It was pretty good too.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »

Maybe I will go for Subway today! There isn't a lot of time left in Februany!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

But they don't put garlic on their subs.....how will you survive, Dukey Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

angus, if that minimum-wage worker at Subaway only spent his money on sandwiches and marijuana perhaps it wouldn't be so bad, but keep in mind he also requires the 'roof over his head' and the transport to get to location of his exploitation.  So, his situation is impossible even if he can buy a bit of low-quality low-nutrition food.

By the way, I haven't the slightest clue what marijuana costs, but I have to admit I'm astounded that it could be affordable for minimum wage people as angus claims.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2013, 01:13:32 PM »

Last year, March's $5 dollar footlong was the meatball marinara. Maybe you all will luck out and get it again! Tongue
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »

But they don't put garlic on their subs.....how will you survive, Dukey Wink
A subway I stopped at in fargo ND once had garlic flavored bread as one of the bread choices, it was delicious.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »

After the Banh Mi pic I feel like we're crawling around in the gutter with Subway chatter......but if I had to, I'd go meatball.....exactly like Muon takes his with the red onion, lettuce and oregano, on the italian herb bread.

I'm sure there is a Vietnamese place in Pittsburgh. Go try one. And try some pho if you haven't already done so.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »

And try some pho if you haven't already done so.

damn straight.   try some five dollar footlongs, too.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 07:23:54 PM »

I usually get subs from this local place called "Paul Bunyan Sub Shop"... they have a really good turkey club.  It's all about the bacon.. it's perfectly crisp... but no burnt overcooked taste.

Rye roll, turkey, bacon, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayonnaise, italian dressing
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »

I usually get subs from this local place called "Paul Bunyan Sub Shop"... they have a really good turkey club.  It's all about the bacon.. it's perfectly crisp... but no burnt overcooked taste.

Rye roll, turkey, bacon, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayonnaise, italian dressing

They have Paul Bunyan here, dude.  Well, I don't mean a sandwich joint, but the character.  I'd always grown up hearing about Paul Bunyan, what with my parents being from northern Minnesota and all, and for the five years we lived in northern Iowa he was a big draw for the kiddies.  I didn't imagine he'd made it out to the Keystone State, but not long ago I was speaking to one of the third grade teachers at the boy's school and she mentioned some stories that they'll read.  One of them involved Paul and Babe.  That's right:  Paul and his blue ox have made it to the East Coast.  How cool is that?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »

Had a foot-long tuna sandwich on 9-grain wheat bread today.  Delicious.  The boy had something with chicken and bacon and my wife had the teriyaki chicken.  All footlongs.  I had noticed that the meatball sandwich is the most popular here, and I was tempted to try one today, but I just couldn't get my mind wrapped around it.  Meatballs on sandwiches just don't really sound very appealing.  Nevertheless we did buy some meatballs at the Wong Fu Market, along with some fishballs, crabballs, three kinds of mushroom, one kind of bracket fungi, some five spice powder, some napa, some bokchoy, some dry tofu, some white tofu, some shrimp, and some thin sliced beef for a big old pu pu tray for dinner tonight tonight.  mmmmm.  Also, I got a Boulard calvados 750 mL.  I haven't tried this particular brand of calvados yet, but it's 40% alcohol and it's in a bottle so it can't be too bad.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

Had a foot long turkey on wheat today, loaded with a bunch of stuff (no garlic). The only problem with the subways here are, they're all owned by Indians that know me, so I have to make painful small talk when I order my sub. Otherwise, for $5, I was a happy boy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2013, 04:35:58 PM »

I'm sure there is a Vietnamese place in Pittsburgh. Go try one. And try some pho if you haven't already done so.

Shane, I go to a very good one here. Great pho! Cheap and awesome food! But I haven't seen banh mi. I already googled the places that have it. I will most certainly be tying one soon! 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

Shane, I go to a very good one here. Great pho! Cheap and awesome food! But I haven't seen banh mi. I already googled the places that have it. I will most certainly be tying one soon! 

Funny thing, I've seen it on lots of menus, but didn't even know it was a sandwich till opebo's post.  Probably it does say that in English under Banh Mi, just like it says "crispy spring roll" under Chả Giņ on the menu, but I never went into a Vietnamese joint looking for a sandwich so it just didn't register. 

Oh, and the calvados is decent.  Its nose is a dry apple or cider, with a hint of earthiness (mushroom, maybe?).  The texture is smooth with none of the throaty assertiveness of Hennessey or other similarly-priced brandies.  On the sides of the mouth there's a medium acidity and in the back of the mouth it's like an almond extract.  Just a tad sweet, but not too much.  Certainly not like a cordial.  The finish is pure spiced oak and very, very long.  It's not the XO, but the VSOP.  (The XO would have cost twice as much and I wasn't ready to shell out eighty dollars.)  Anyway, I'm not disappointed.  Even the old lady likes it.  I'll drink anything, but she's not much of a boozer.

Man, that's tasty.  Somebody needs to come and take this bottle away from me before I end up too tight to make sensible posts.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2013, 10:52:10 AM »

Chicken and bacon ranch melt all day, e'ry day.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2013, 12:55:01 PM »

I worked at a Subway from Feb 93 to May 94.  Probably the most fun I've ever had at work.  I was super fast and put on a lot of things when people asked for a lot of things.  When I ask for extra pickles, people never put enough pickles on.  So I figured when people ask me for extra whatever, I'd load em up.  You want extra tomatoes, here's 20 slices of tomato for ya.  The people loved it.  I got tips.  Customers would request me to make their sandwich.  When ran a pretty loose ship in the evening times and it wasn't a smoke free like place like most fast food places were by that time.  So we had plenty of kids hanging out all evening.  The place smelled like a hippie.  We'd give kids free food if they cleaned up the dinning area.  It was a great job....if only they paid more.  (though it was more than minimum wage)

Subway has always made me mad, to the point now that I've stopped going. Let's say you go in there and you just want a de-facto sandwich that is supposedly on the menu. Ain't gonna happen.

"So yeah, let me get the sweet onion chicken teriyaki on such and such bread."

"So what do you want on it?"

"Uh, as advertised."

"So what do you want on it?"

"I want the sandwich you're selling on the menu."

"I'm sorry, we don't know what's in that sandwich."

I don't know if it's that so many people like to be creative in how they order or if all Subway employees are just stupid, but this has been the conversation I've had in at least 4 Subways in my area (I should check out the other 10). It got to the point where it was infuriatingly funny, where I'd go in and try to start up this exact conversation because I knew they were going to be idiots and that Subway apparently doesn't teach its employees how to make anything other than a basic sandwich. If I'm in a hurry, I don't want to pick out every single element of my sandwich - If I have to build it, might as well stay at home and save the money. What are all those pictures and prices for, anyway?
They were looking for you to say, "oh, tomatoes, lettuce...maybe a little mayo....".  If I was working and you came in, I'd turn around and look at the picture and try and match that.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »

I worked at a Subway about 15 years ago.  Not a real pleasant memory.

Personally, I prefer Jimmy Johns.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »

Voted tuna which is good, but I prefer the meatball marinara over the others.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies