Which religious group has the most control over the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:35:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which religious group has the most control over the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which religious group has the most control over the GOP?
Conservative/devout Catholics

(White) evangelical Protestants

Conservative mainline Protestants

Mormons

Orthodox Jews

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Which religious group has the most control over the GOP?  (Read 1205 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »

The Republican Party, despite its reputation nowadays as being the "Bible Belt" Party (which implies white evangelical Protestants, especially but not exclusively in the South), is actually fairly diverse in terms of the religious backgrounds of its voters and supporters (and there are a good deal of differences within the different mainline denominations, to say nothing of the many, many evangelical denominations and the phenomenon of "non-denominational" Christianity). Plus, the more devout (white) Catholics are, the more conservative they tend to be politically (though there's also a huge gender gap among white Catholics....) And what of the LDS Church or certain communities of Orthodox Jews? Hard to find a Democrat in those communities.

The two/three factors that all these people seem to have in common:

They are (non-Hispanic) white, they are (mostly) Christian, and they have a relatively high level of "religiosity (going to church on a regular basis for worship services, being involved in donating time, money, and energy to their churches, etc.) compared to the general population.

With all that being said: which of the choices in the poll is generally the most dominant in the modern Republican Party?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »

Evangelicals due their sheer size.

The GOP has a broad range of conservative Christianity, but the number of Mormons/traditional Catholics/conservative mainlines is still quite small compared to the massive number of Baptists, Pentecostals etc.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:52 PM »

Muslims

I mean come on, they base all of their foreign policy decisions on what they're doing
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:34 PM »

Muslims

I mean come on, they base all of their foreign policy decisions on what they're doing

lawl
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »

Well one thing I know, is that my "religion" has the least influence in the party to which I belong. Tongue

I picked option two. The era of mainline Protestant domination of the GOP ended some time ago.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

The idea that a religious group has control over the GOP is farcical. It's the other way around.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:47:36 AM »

Option 2, even though I hope we can soon take the white part out of that.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »

Option 2, by far.

Muslims

Also, I'd argue that their fundamentalism most mirrors Islamism more than any other segment of Americans does.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Muslims

Also, I'd argue that their fundamentalism most mirrors Islamism more than any other segment of Americans does.

Definitely. And I wouldn't say their foreign policy is based on Muslims as much as it is based on a cultural caricature assigned to represent all Middle Easterners.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »

The idea that a religious group has control over the GOP is farcical. It's the other way around.
Indeed.  The fundies may be pulling the sleigh, but it's big money that is holding the reigns.  Sometimes the churchy people might pull the sleigh in a direction money doesn't want, but money can handle taking a non direct route to their goals.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »

Indeed.  The fundies may be pulling the sleigh, but it's big money that is holding the reigns.  Sometimes the churchy people might pull the sleigh in a direction money doesn't want, but money can handle taking a non direct route to their goals.

Isn't religion the biggest cash-cow of all? But really, I think you could be right. There's probably just as much (if not more) politicking in churches as there is preaching on the campaign trail.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »

Isn't religion the biggest cash-cow of all? But really, I think you could be right. There's probably just as much (if not more) politicking in churches as there is preaching on the campaign trail.

Eh, that really depends on the church in question. Some outright refuse to do politics, while other's might was well put an elephant or donkey next to the cross in the interior of the church. However, it is secular big business that has the biggest pull of all on the GOP.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »

Well, if you look at the 2012 exit polls, 26% of voters said they were Evangelical Whites and 78% of them said they voted R. That means about 42-43% of all R voters are white Evangelicals. Catholics were 25% of the R vote. So yeah, white Evangelicals are probably the biggest block R block. 

So in a way, the Republican Party is a complicated scheme where Big Business supplies the money and Fundagelicals provide the votes. Though wealthy people voted more R than they usually do.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »

Traitor fake evangelicals of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »