Is monogamy becoming an underrated value in our society?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:59:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is monogamy becoming an underrated value in our society?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Is monogamy becoming an underrated value in our society?  (Read 13933 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:39 PM »

Now Torie just needs to swap his body for a small Asian female.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2013, 09:43:52 PM by Torie »

You thing opebo is into doing the bourgeoise, particularly the pushy, opinionated kind?  Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »

This has gone downhill fast. I am too possessive to be in an open relationship anyway. I would literally go insane. It's the greek in me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29:29 AM »

You thing opebo is into doing the bourgeoise, particularly the pushy, opinionated kind?  Smiley

Well obviously that is all I did until I moved here, and in fact that the only kind of actual girlfriend I've had here as well.

Only for the convenient transactional sex have I contacted non-middle-class people.  And I must say that while they do provide a service, and sometimes well, they tend not to be as obsequious as you might imagine.  After all, generally speaking they make a handsome income, and my contribution to the day's take is not all that significant.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2013, 07:30:22 AM »

The men were obsequious, the women not in my experience, when I was in your fair land.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #155 on: March 02, 2013, 07:37:38 AM »

opie, bless him, is a broken record ...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:27 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2013, 07:48:40 AM by Torie »

I am just so flattered that he has such a consuming interest in one particular old man's sex life. I don't get such strokes just anywhere you know.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2013, 03:11:49 PM by opebo »

I am just so flattered that he has such a consuming interest in one particular old man's sex life. I don't get such strokes just anywhere you know.

Actually I do believe it was my sex life I was talking about, Torie.

But I suppose you and I do have a lot in common:

The men were obsequious, the women not in my experience, when I was in your fair land.

That is quite interesting.  Yes, the working women here tend to be very bold and demanding - they most certainly expect to be treated very well and won't stand for it if they're not.  Which to my mind is only fair (though I do prefer to avoid the occasional loud or obnoxious ones, and stick to those who treat me as politely as I must, as a result of my delicate upbringing, treat everyone).

About the lads - I've noticed that my gay friends often mention they are usually treated rather sweetly.  I can't say the ladyboys are like that..
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2013, 09:28:21 PM by Snowguy716 »

This thread has a lot of experts about women.  A lot of pontificating and high horsing.

Being transgender doesn't make you an expert on sexuality.  Going around paying for sex doesn't make you an expert either... and I think it'd give you a rather distorted view of women.. since the only ones you seem to cavort with are prostitutes who have completely separated intimacy from sex.

But I don't think prostitution is some abuse of women, either.  Men want sex... these women choose to provide it.  Now of course anybody coerced into the profession is very much abused and traumatized... but let's treat women as women.  They can be catty, passive aggressive, and manipulative.  Most of my female friends use sex as a weapon... denying their boyfriends sex because they didn't do something they wanted.  I find that behavior to be immature and ridiculous.  But I won't pretend to really understand them or their sexuality because I'm not attracted to them... even emotionally, I feel more comfortable with guys.  So my womyns knowledge is cursory at best.

And let's face it.. .our society is leaving boys behind in education and opportunities as women shoot past par and pull ahead of men.

This is not due to some inherent superiority in women... but a system that has become geared towards girls.  Girls are more patient and can sit and listen for long periods of times while boys get antsy... so the girls learn better because the teaching style benefits their natural behavior.

The idea is not equality... but equity.  Each gender puts their contribution in.  They won't all be equal.  Men are better at some things than women, and vice versa.  But that when it comes to how we treat eachother, and how our institutions treat each gender.. then equality must enter the picture.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »

This thread has a lot of experts about women.  A lot of pontificating and high horsing.

How many "Opinion of x" threads are created on this forum every day? This forum is full of pontificating and high horsing, in fact that's one of it's defining characteristics. I don't actually think that's a bad thing, because let's face it, it's fun to be an arrogant snob offering your opinions on everything as if they actually matter, and doing that IRL tends to get people to not like you, so it's cool to have somewhere to do that online Tongue

Being transgender doesn't make you an expert on sexuality.

No, and I never claimed it did. I do think that it gives me some more understanding of gender and especially the way society treats men and women differently, though, given that I'm one of the few people on the planet to have experienced both firsthand.

But I don't think prostitution is some abuse of women, either.  Men want sex... these women choose to provide it. Now of course anybody coerced into the profession is very much abused and traumatized...

It always amazes me how many liberal/leftist men are willing to adopt laissez-faire "they chose it" arguments with regards to prostitutes when they are appalled when free-marketers apply such arguments to underpaid and exploited Walmart workers, for example.

Although, to be fair, I'm not sure whether you were applying this to the concept of prostitution in theory or how it's actually practiced in most cases in the world today. If it's the former I agree with you and I apologize for picking on you, it was more the way some people (including a certain poster here) use such arguments to defend the latter (or, in the case of that particular poster, certain lifestyle choices they have made).

...but let's treat women as women.  They can be catty, passive aggressive, and manipulative.  Most of my female friends use sex as a weapon... denying their boyfriends sex because they didn't do something they wanted.  I find that behavior to be immature and ridiculous.

1) All of the things you mentioned apply to men as well, or at least have some very close equivalent.

2) I don't see the relevance of this to what we're discussing.

But I won't pretend to really understand them or their sexuality because I'm not attracted to them... even emotionally, I feel more comfortable with guys.  So my womyns knowledge is cursory at best.

Fair enough, although I think you can understand a lot with just the human capacity for empathy, which is quite powerful for most non-sociopaths. 

And let's face it.. .our society is leaving boys behind in education and opportunities as women shoot past par and pull ahead of men.

This is not due to some inherent superiority in women... but a system that has become geared towards girls.  Girls are more patient and can sit and listen for long periods of times while boys get antsy... so the girls learn better because the teaching style benefits their natural behavior.

The idea is not equality... but equity.  Each gender puts their contribution in.  They won't all be equal.  Men are better at some things than women, and vice versa.  But that when it comes to how we treat eachother, and how our institutions treat each gender.. then equality must enter the picture.

This is an issue I'm happy to debate about, but we're already pretty far from the original topic of this thread and this thread is already long enough, so I don't feel like adding yet another digression here.

Anyway, I actually like this thread, it's been a very interesting debate and I'm honestly amazed (in a good way) that it hasn't gone worse. For a thread that's a) on the internet, b) about an extremely sensitive and emotional issue, and c) on a forum that has a few problems with sexism already, to put it mildly, I'd say this thread has been way above average.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

I love how Snowy starts with "This thread has a lot of experts about women.  A lot of pontificating and high horsing." and then goes on into a long rant explaining what women supposedly are... Roll Eyes
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »

I love how Snowy starts with "This thread has a lot of experts about women.  A lot of pontificating and high horsing." and then goes on into a long rant explaining what women supposedly are... Roll Eyes
Much of what Snowguy said is right- I don't think he made any unfair or sexist assumptions, instead he provided a general commentary.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

Much of what Snowguy said is right- I don't think he made any unfair or sexist assumptions, instead he provided a general commentary.
He provided a pontificating general commentary, yes. Which is exactly what everyone on this forum does, as I said.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies