Marijuana Legalization May Be Unstoppable
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:31:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marijuana Legalization May Be Unstoppable
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Marijuana Legalization May Be Unstoppable  (Read 6663 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/02/new-polls-and-votes-suggest-marijuana-legalization-unstoppable
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »

The thread title makes me smile. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

Hey, I don't want my medicine taxed.  They don't tax other medicines do they? Pot should be kept medicinal. Smiley
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »

Hey, I don't want my medicine taxed.  They don't tax other medicines do they? Pot should be kept medicinal. Smiley

Don't tax medicinal use, tax recreational use. Wink

In all seriousness, this is welcome and unsurprising news.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

Your faux medicines of pot and testy needs heavily taxed.  Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »

Great!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »

Dude, it's already taxed! I am surprised you haven't noticed. I guess the pungent smell and plethora of weed distracted you? Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 04:17:36 PM »

Dude, it's already taxed! I am surprised you haven't noticed. I guess the pungent smell and plethora of weed distracted you? Tongue

I guess so. I never noticed a sales tax or anything being charged at the dispensary. Is it just built into the price?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:37:09 PM »

And the world will be a better place Smiley
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

Good news everyone!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »

Hey, I don't want my medicine taxed.  They don't tax other medicines do they? Pot should be kept medicinal. Smiley

I guess so. I never noticed a sales tax or anything being charged at the dispensary. Is it just built into the price?

It's always built into the price -- have you ever tried doing math when stoned? Most places don't break it down for you. On my last trip to a dispensary in Santa Monica, though, I got a cash register receipt. My "subtotal" was $43.95; my tax was $6.05 (~13.8%).
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:35:35 PM »

I guess it usually is. Especially in tax averse Southern California I suppose.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

When sentiment changes, it changes quickly, evidenced by the fact that federal and state law on this are in direct conflict in many places. Wink Good show. The highlighted view is logical and realistic.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »

I'll be interested to see what happens with our bill.  Martinez wanted to repeal the medical marijuana law we have.
Benj

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »

Hey, I don't want my medicine taxed.  They don't tax other medicines do they? Pot should be kept medicinal. Smiley

For what it's worth, at least one state (Illinois) taxes all medicines. Many states, including California, tax over-the-counter medicines but not prescription medicines.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.pdf
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »

I guess it usually is. Especially in tax averse Southern California I suppose.

But above now, somebody says prescription medicines are not subject to a sales tax. And I have a prescription! Of course what we are talking about here are sin taxes, so in any event, the tax will go way up.

To be clear (not to you, you know me too well, the good, the bad, and the ugly), I don't mind. I was just jiving. Believe it or not, public policy is not all about maximizing my net worth. Who knew?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

Oh, you most certainly do not have a prescription. You have a recommendation. Eric Holder will put your doctor in jail if he gave you a prescription. Smiley
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »

Screw the tax! Free pot for all!!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

I hope not.  I am dead-set against legalizing marijuana, especially because I lost a cousin from a heroin addiction.  And medical marijuana is a complete and total joke.  Can't people find some other treatment for their pain or ailments instead?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:45 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2013, 09:24:42 AM by Torie »

I hope not.  I am dead-set against legalizing marijuana, especially because I lost a cousin from a heroin addiction.  And medical marijuana is a complete and total joke.  Can't people find some other treatment for their pain or ailments instead?

Ah, pot has other uses.  Have you looked into what percentage of Pot users "graduate" to heroin? Of those who do graduate, how many would have never started on pot if only we had a Draconian war on drugs in place?  How can one fashion any intelligent public policy without having a handle on the odds?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:41 AM »

I hope not.  I am dead-set against legalizing marijuana, especially because I lost a cousin from a heroin addiction.

I won't pretend to be sorry about your loss, but I assume it was hard. With this fake sentimentality out of the way, I would like to inform you that what I quoted makes absolutely no sense to most everyone who just read it. Are you really comparing marijuana with heroin? Are you high?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:13 AM »

I hope not.  I am dead-set against legalizing marijuana, especially because I lost a cousin from a heroin addiction.

I won't pretend to be sorry about your loss, but I assume it was hard. With this fake sentimentality out of the way, I would like to inform you that what I quoted makes absolutely no sense to most everyone who just read it. Are you really comparing marijuana with heroin? Are you high?
It's been proven that marijuana use is a gateway to using other drugs.  And why aren't you sorry for my loss?  Granted, it's been almost three years since he died but don't you have any sympathy for the sufferings of your fellow man?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »

It's been proven that marijuana use is a gateway to using other drugs.  And why aren't you sorry for my loss?  Granted, it's been almost three years since he died but don't you have any sympathy for the sufferings of your fellow man?

No, it actually never has.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

It's been proven that marijuana use is a gateway to using other drugs.

No it hasn't. The data ranges from inconclusive to being against gateway theory.

If there is a gateway affect, I'd posit it has more to do with drug pushers - they are interested in getting people to buy more expensive and addictive drugs. If you legalize pot, then people can buy it from legal stores that won't be pushing heroin and other harder drugs.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2013, 01:02:24 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

No, it actually never has.
It's been proven that marijuana use is a gateway to using other drugs.

No it hasn't. The data ranges from inconclusive to being against gateway theory.

If there is a gateway affect, I'd posit it has more to do with drug pushers - they are interested in getting people to buy more expensive and addictive drugs. If you legalize pot, then people can buy it from legal stores that won't be pushing heroin and other harder drugs.
My cousin who died from heroin addiction said that marijuana was a gateway drug (granted, he never used it, but as someone who was a drug addict, he should've known something about it.)  My grandma also worked as a nurse in mental health for many years and also said that it was a gateway drug.  And don't forget the countless hippies who graduated from pot to LSD in the 60s/early 70s.  The research can say whatever it wants, but you can always get research to say just about anything.  Where are these studies anyway?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies