Senator Rand Paul is currently filibustering Brennan nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:22:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senator Rand Paul is currently filibustering Brennan nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Senator Rand Paul is currently filibustering Brennan nomination  (Read 16617 times)
Obamanation
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 12:21:24 AM »

And now Tim Scott is helping Paul... I'm assuming he's just an Uncle Tom, right?

Tim Scott is definitely an Uncle Tom, but that has nothing to do with this filibuster speech.

Tim Scott is despicable and for this - specifically - he must be removed from the Senate.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 12:24:13 AM by Obamanation »

And now Tim Scott is helping Paul... I'm assuming he's just an Uncle Tom, right?

Tim Scott is definitely an Uncle Tom, but that has nothing to do with this filibuster speech.

Useful idiot seems to think that the reason this filibuster is being done is because of opposition to the President and Holder is because they are black.

You can't deny that the President's race is a contributing factor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2013, 12:25:53 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 12:30:29 AM by Inks.LWC Supports Chuck Hagel »

Useful idiot seems to think that the reason this filibuster is being done is because of opposition to the President and Holder is because they are black.

To Rand Paul's filibuster?  Hell no.  Look at Paul's civil liberties record.  This has nothing to do with Obama being half Black.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:29 AM »

To Rand Paul's filibuster?  Hell no.  Look at Paul's civil rights record.  This has nothing to do with Obama being half Black.

Uh... Rand Paul's civil rights record is abhorrent. He thinks white-owned restaurants and hotels should be able to deny business to black people.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

I mean, it's not like this is a new stance of those on the right when it comes to issues like this.  Look at Scalia's dissent in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld.  Although that doesn't directly apply here (since the courts have never defined what the "battlefield" is), the same underlying principle applies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

To Rand Paul's filibuster?  Hell no.  Look at Paul's civil rights record.  This has nothing to do with Obama being half Black.

Uh... Rand Paul's civil rights record is abhorrent. He thinks white-owned restaurants and hotels should be able to deny business to black people.

Sorry - civil liberties, not civil rights.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2013, 12:31:53 AM »

Sorry, civil liberties, not civil rights.  Although, I would agree with Paul that Heart of Atlanta was improperly decided.  Not that I disagree with the policy outcome, but it should've been done through an amendment, not by extending the Commerce Clause to where it never actually applied.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »

I mean, it's not like this is a new stance of those on the right when it comes to issues like this.  Look at Scalia's dissent in Hamdi v. Rumsfeld.  Although that doesn't directly apply here (since the courts have never defined what the "battlefield" is), the same underlying principle applies.
Useful idiot has been in the past a moderate to conservative poster, Im fairly sure hes doing an impression of someone who actually thinks that way.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2013, 12:34:25 AM »

Useful idiot has been in the past a moderate to conservative poster, Im fairly sure hes doing an impression of someone who actually thinks that way.

To be honest, I don't think I've ever noticed his posts before, so I really can't comment as to that.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »

To Rand Paul's filibuster?  Hell no.  Look at Paul's civil liberties record.  This has nothing to do with Obama being half Black.

Rand Paul is a racist, so stop trying to pretend the two aren't connected...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »

And his filibuster has just ended.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »

And how is he a racist?

And even if he was a racist, you have no proof that his filibuster was done because of some alleged racism.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »

Disappointed he didn't go for the record.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »

Disappointed he didn't go for the record.

He stopped citing he had to use the restroom.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2013, 12:47:44 AM »

And how is he a racist?

And even if he was a racist, you have no proof that his filibuster was done because of some alleged racism.

He thinks white people should be able to deny black customers. He's a racist, like his father.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2013, 12:55:47 AM by Lief »

Strom Thurmond, a true hero of the white supremacist movement, held it in for 24 hours! Rand Paul has cowardly given in to his bladder after just half that time. Disgusting.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »

And how is he a racist?

He thinks white people should be able to deny black customers. He's a racist, like his father.

Under the Constitution, they should be able to.  The solution is to actually change the Constitution, not pass a law and lie about it fitting under the Constitution.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:13 AM »

Yeah I can't believe people let that one fly over their heads.
Obamanation
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »

And how is he a racist?

Under the Constitution, they should be able to.  The solution is to actually change the Constitution, not pass a law and lie about it fitting under the Constitution.

That's a Libertarian (racist) interpretation of the Constitution.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »

Brennan has no merit to be CIA director. Rand was right to do this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2013, 01:16:31 AM »

Strom Thurmond, a true hero of the white supremacist movement, held it in for 24 hours! Rand Paul has cowardly given in to his bladder after just half that time. Disgusting.
  Actually, Thurmond cheated.
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:54 AM »

So the filibuster ended because Rand said he had to use the bathroom.

I don't get it, wasn't there another Senator there who can "ask him a question" so that he can leave the Senate floor like before, or was he just tired and decided to end it with a joke?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »

I'm embarrassed that Democrats don't show up and help (besides Wyden).  

Where's your concern about civil liberties now?

Paul and Wyden's concerns are ridiculous. The rest are just there because they are hacks.

There is no situation where a federal government drone strike would be more efficient on U.S. soil than a police action to detain an American citizen suspected of terrorist activity.  This is also why the U.S. has no official policy on whether or not to use nuclear weapons on U.S. soil as a deterrent during a hostage situation.  It's a stupid thing to discuss.

There's the answer to Rand Paul's question.

During this filibuster Paul has stated numerous times he is not against using drone strikes against enemy combatants in foreign lands nor is even opposed to allowing police departments in the United States to use drones for surveillance.  His position is no different than the Obama Administration's official ruling on this issue.

He is filibustering for an answer to a dumb hypothetical question.

I support his correct use of the democratic process, but there's no reason to support him on the issue itself.

Drones are the means of killing that brought us to this debate, but a killing by any other method of someone who is a suspected terrorist without due process of law is cause for the same concern.  We've had instances before where suspected terrorists were denied due process of law, and it's clear there are instances where the government considers due process to be a nuisance. If an extrajudicial killing to avoid all that is considered necessary to keep a suspected terrorist off the streets, that could easily be seen as the more effective route. 

The administration's criteria for who is an enemy combatant worthy of a drone strike and what constitutes an imminent threat is absurdly broad, as Sen. Paul has pointed out.  If you are an adolescent or adult male in a Muslim country and you walk funny or are in the wrong place in the wrong time, you are pretty much fair game. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »

So the filibuster ended because Rand said he had to use the bathroom.

I don't get it, wasn't there another Senator there who can "ask him a question" so that he can leave the Senate floor like before, or was he just tired and decided to end it with a joke?

The rules, as I understand them, Paul was not allowed to leave the floor, otherwise he'd automatically yield.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2013, 02:32:47 AM »

The Pauls and their interpretation of the Civil Rights Act are definitely racist, but his speech wasn't racially motivated. This was Rand being Rand. Maybe he had to make people forget about the Hagel vote?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies