Woodrow Wilson: HP or FF?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:14:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Woodrow Wilson: HP or FF?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Woodrow Wilson: HP or FF?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Woodrow Wilson: HP or FF?  (Read 1510 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »

What say you?
Also, why was Wilson looked upon for such a long time as being an amazing, transformative, great President? I mean old school Democrats like JFK used his name with pride, when comparing the Democrats' legacy to the Republicans' in the '60s.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

HP.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »

Apart from his racism, he was a raving idealist who did not know how to cope if his ideas were not 100% agreed upon. He couldn't compromise at all. His League was a failure. I can't call him an HP for that. I can however call him an HP for his racism and for his inability to compromise.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »

serious HP, he was racist, he disregarded congress and overreached executive power, he promoted propaganda, he was anti civil liberties and threw critics in jail, he lied about WW1, he got us involved with the Fed banking cabal.

One of the worst Presidents ever
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »

serious HP, he was racist, he disregarded congress and overreached executive power, he promoted propaganda, he was anti civil liberties and threw critics in jail, he lied about WW1, he got us involved with the Fed banking cabal.

This
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »

This
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:27 PM »

FF with some HP elements. FF all the more for the absurd internet outrage about him. One of the best Democratic Presidents, but then again that's not exactly a high bar to clear.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:27:48 PM »

I'm not sure I would call him an FF, but he wasn't as bad as people here seem to think.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »

I'm not sure I would call him an FF, but he wasn't as bad as people here seem to think.

He threw his critics in jail. If Obama did that we right wingers would justifiably be going ape-sh[inks]. That alone ought to make him an HP.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:36 AM »

An FF until World War I. Neutral at that point.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

HP for being a racist, for segregating the military, and not supporting women's suffrage until he was pressured to. 
That being said, I agree with Goldwater that he wasn't as bad as libertarians think.  His foreign policy is probably similar to what mine would be if I were president.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

Couldn't have said it better myself.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

Hard to say. Did a lot of awful stuff though, so lean HP.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »

Racist, segregated the government as the culmination of Jim Crow, and bungled the League of Nations thing. He did not know how to triangulate. His jewel on the crown was setting up the modern Federal Reserve system.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »

Good President on balance; bad man personally. Voted FF.

He has his (serious) flaws, but calling him "omg one of the worst" is hilariously hyperbolic.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

A dictator pure and simple. He could make Chavez look like Gary Johnson in terms of power lust.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 02:36:03 AM »

HP, as the flaws easily outweigh the good.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:13 AM »

He has his (serious) flaws, but calling him "omg one of the worst" is hilariously hyperbolic.

This.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »

I would say lean HP due to his racial policies and somewhat excessive actions against civil liberties during World War 1, although he is defiantely was not as bad as he is portrayed to be by people such as Glenn Beck. That being said, I would rather have Woodrow Wilson as President than either Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, Sam Brownback, Scott Walker, Ted Cruz or Paul Ryan anyday.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

No, its not hyperbolic at all. Wilson sucked in every phase of the game.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »

This
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »

HP for being a racist, for segregating the military, and not supporting women's suffrage until he was pressured to. 
That being said, I agree with Goldwater that he wasn't as bad as libertarians think.  His foreign policy is probably similar to what mine would be if I were president.

He didn't segregate the military that I know of, it had been segregated since blacks were first allowed in the service in 1863. In the Spanish American War, they fought in black regiments just as they had in the Civil War (even helped bail TR out in certain rough spots, since they had experience out in Arizona and the West, whereas the Rough Riders regiment was mostly ranchers and WASPs elites with little such experience). He segregated the civil service and essentially brought Jim Crow into the capital of a country that claimed to be built on a promise of freedom for all.  Of course, he wasn't the first Virginian (by birth) President to be a hypocrit on the issue of freedom.
The Constable
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -8.17

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:27 AM »

Let us not forget that Wilson's first term was filled with good things:
-Fed Act
-FTC Act
-Clayton Antitrust Act
-Farm Loan Act
-the income tax

He was a deeply flawed man, but he did a great deal of good.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 08:47:20 AM »

The evils of his second term far outweigh any accomplishments (of course this is subjective on whether or not you believe said accomplishments were good) he achieved in his first term.  Getting the US involved in wars it had no business being involved in (cue the OMG BUT THE GERMANS WERE MILITARISTIC NATIONALISTIC WAR MACHINES WHO WANTED TO INVADE EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET AND MUST'VE BEEN STOPPED FOR THE SAKE OF DEMOCRACY! poster), suspended civil liberties at home, made his own voter base targets (German Americans) for government endorsed discrimination, segregated the Federal Government (well, that was happening in the first term as well), appointed Alexander Mitchell Palmer as Attorney General (arguably his worst crime), his unwillingness to negotiage on the League of Versailles with Congress (it really needed reservations), giving Free Republic supporters the finger after giving his word he would bring up Irish Independence at Versailles, jailing Eugene V Debs, arresting people who protested World War I etc. etc. etc.

And this is just the stuff I thought of off the top of my head.

Woodrow Wilson was rightfully regarded, at the end of his day, as his generation's equivalent of George W Bush.  Given his impressive HP resume, I would agree with the summation.  For those of you who are like BUT BUT INCOME TAXES!  BUT BUT FEDERAL RESERVE!  BUT BUT PROGRESSIVISM! I will say that anybody and their grandmother who would've been president from 1913-1921 was just as likely to sign those into law.  Let's not act like it was pure Wilsonian ingenuity that got those into law or that without Woodrow Wilson those laws would've never happened.  Hell, Wilson RAN as the pro-business candidate ("If America is not to have free enterprise, he is not to have freedom of any sort.") and ended up going the opposite way of what his campaign rhetoric indicated (except on tariffs, which he did reduce).

However, while the accomplishments of his first term could've been passed (Income Tax was a holdover from Taft, who was also a lot more zealous on trust busting than he is given credit for) by most electable nominees, there is a very serious argument to be made that none of them would've done what Wilson did in his second term (well, maybe Roosevelt, minus the whole segregation of the federal government bit).  Really though, I think this speaks best about Wilson's tenure:

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 01:35:19 PM »

The evils of his second term far outweigh any accomplishments (of course this is subjective on whether or not you believe said accomplishments were good) he achieved in his first term.  Getting the US involved in wars it had no business being involved in (cue the OMG BUT THE GERMANS WERE MILITARISTIC NATIONALISTIC WAR MACHINES WHO WANTED TO INVADE EVERYTHING ON THE PLANET AND MUST'VE BEEN STOPPED FOR THE SAKE OF DEMOCRACY! poster), suspended civil liberties at home, made his own voter base targets (German Americans) for government endorsed discrimination, segregated the Federal Government (well, that was happening in the first term as well), appointed Alexander Mitchell Palmer as Attorney General (arguably his worst crime), his unwillingness to negotiage on the League of Versailles with Congress (it really needed reservations), giving Free Republic supporters the finger after giving his word he would bring up Irish Independence at Versailles, jailing Eugene V Debs, arresting people who protested World War I etc. etc. etc.

And this is just the stuff I thought of off the top of my head.

Woodrow Wilson was rightfully regarded, at the end of his day, as his generation's equivalent of George W Bush.  Given his impressive HP resume, I would agree with the summation.  For those of you who are like BUT BUT INCOME TAXES!  BUT BUT FEDERAL RESERVE!  BUT BUT PROGRESSIVISM! I will say that anybody and their grandmother who would've been president from 1913-1921 was just as likely to sign those into law.  Let's not act like it was pure Wilsonian ingenuity that got those into law or that without Woodrow Wilson those laws would've never happened.  Hell, Wilson RAN as the pro-business candidate ("If America is not to have free enterprise, he is not to have freedom of any sort.") and ended up going the opposite way of what his campaign rhetoric indicated (except on tariffs, which he did reduce).

However, while the accomplishments of his first term could've been passed (Income Tax was a holdover from Taft, who was also a lot more zealous on trust busting than he is given credit for) by most electable nominees, there is a very serious argument to be made that none of them would've done what Wilson did in his second term (well, maybe Roosevelt, minus the whole segregation of the federal government bit).  Really though, I think this speaks best about Wilson's tenure:

excellent post fleshing out the points I made.. Wilson was kind of a faux "progressive"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies