Colorado civil unions bill signed by Gov. John Hickenlooper
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:45:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Colorado civil unions bill signed by Gov. John Hickenlooper
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Colorado civil unions bill signed by Gov. John Hickenlooper  (Read 651 times)
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:34:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Denver Post
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »

In your face, Wayne Allard.  Same to James Dobson.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »

I'm still not fully on board with same sex marriage (though warming up to it), but I do fully support civil unions.  I like this bill.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

Good. Hopefully that stupid amendment will go down at the next ballot initiative.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

I'd love to see Michelle Malkin's tweets about this.  But every time I read them, I just get angry and hate her more.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

Now let's continue on to gay marriage!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »

This means Colorado could potentially have gay marriage by the end of the year, or it could have this nullified by the Prop 8 decision.  It all depends on how the ruling that I expect on the Prop 8 case, that distinctions between civil marriages and civil unions are not permissible, is implemented here.  The gay marriage ban is in the Colorado constitution while the civil union law is not.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

Is anyone really expecting the Prop 8 case to take away civil unions and same-sex marriages?

It seems like the worst-case scenario is that it invalidates the same-sex marriages that were conducted in California, and that is highly unlikely.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »

Is anyone really expecting the Prop 8 case to take away civil unions and same-sex marriages?

It seems like the worst-case scenario is that it invalidates the same-sex marriages that were conducted in California, and that is highly unlikely.

What I'm expecting is that the court will find that having civil unions that are marriages in all but name is unconstitutional.  The worst case possibility if that happens is that in Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado, where same-sex civil marriage is constitutionally banned but civil unions are authorized by law is that in those states because the state constitution trumps ordinary state law, the civil unions are kaput, possibly with a grandfathering of existing unions or even existing civil union laws.  In Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, New Jersey, and Rhode Island, where civil unions are authorized by law but there is no constitutional provision banning same-sex civil marriage, I expect the Prop 8 ruling to upgrade those civil unions to civil marriages.  California is complicated, but since Prop 8 changed the law there from having both marriages and civil unions legal to having just civil unions legal, I think there Prop 8 would be struck down, restoring the legality of civil marriage.  The reason for a possible retrograde in Oregon, Nevada, and Colorado is that there, the civil union legislation was passed after the anti-civil marriage constitutional amendment.

The most progressive construction that might result from the Prop 8 case is that save in those states where both same-sex civil marriage and same-sex civil unions are banned by their state constitutions, same-sex civil marriage is authorized, but that strikes me as unlikely.  If the court strikes down all bans on same-sex marriage, which is possible (I think the odds are somewhere in the 20-40% range for that to happen. I.e. unlikely, but not highly unlikely.) it will do it via the DOMA case, not the Prop 8 case.  The DOMA case is a straightforward one for deciding whether same-sex civil marriage is a civil right.  The Prop 8 has some interesting twists and turns in it for deciding what to do  constitutionally with the separate-but-equal civil unions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies