Solid majority of Americans for federal same sex marriage benefits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:00:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Solid majority of Americans for federal same sex marriage benefits
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Solid majority of Americans for federal same sex marriage benefits  (Read 3025 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 10:29:08 PM »

And, again, I'm not totally against same sex marriage.  I am warming up to it, I am just not fully on board, yet.  Liberals can't expect every single American to be fully on board with it.

Ok, how about you state your reasons why you are not fully on board with gay marriage? Or do you not have any? Stop using your faith as an excuse for bigoted attitudes (and this goes for all religious people against gay marriage, not just you).

My faith is my reason, and it's a pretty good reason. 

Being against gay marriage is not automatic bigotry.

I don't want to stop people from pursuing their dreams and their loves, I just don't want to be forced to recognize same sex marriage.

Why should your beliefs have the power of legislating social inequality? Because, you know, that's what they're doing.

Separation of church and state. That's my bible.

Call me old school, but I still believe the Bible is the premier written document in the entire world.  It is higher than the US Constitution, the European Union Treaty that was signed at Lisbon, higher than any other document.
Just so we're clear, you think the Bible is the supreme law of the land in the United States?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »

And, again, I'm not totally against same sex marriage.  I am warming up to it, I am just not fully on board, yet.  Liberals can't expect every single American to be fully on board with it.

Ok, how about you state your reasons why you are not fully on board with gay marriage? Or do you not have any? Stop using your faith as an excuse for bigoted attitudes (and this goes for all religious people against gay marriage, not just you).

I don't want to stop people from pursuing their dreams and their loves, I just don't want to be forced to recognize same sex marriage.

Why should your beliefs have the power of legislating social inequality? Because, you know, that's what they're doing.

Call me old school, but I still believe the Bible is the premier written document in the entire world.  It is higher than the US Constitution, the European Union Treaty that was signed at Lisbon, higher than any other document.

You're well within your rights to believe all of that old school fun stuff, but it shouldn't affect policy matters in a country that's full of Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Atheists, etc.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 10:46:26 PM »

And, again, I'm not totally against same sex marriage.  I am warming up to it, I am just not fully on board, yet.  Liberals can't expect every single American to be fully on board with it.

Call me old school, but I still believe the Bible is the premier written document in the entire world.  It is higher than the US Constitution, the European Union Treaty that was signed at Lisbon, higher than any other document.
Just so we're clear, you think the Bible is the supreme law of the land in the United States?

Yeah I don't think anyone in politics or law seriously thinks that. I mean, we hear trollish statements from Republican politicians and such (James Inhofe, Michelle Bachmann, etc.) but they're mostly trolling, IMHO.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »

They are two different things.  The individual World Constitutions rule their respective nations from a physical realm.  The Bible governs the entire world from a spiritual realm.  Just because one doesn't believe in God doesn't make them exempt to His laws and the laws of the Bible.  I'm sure Muslims would say the same about the Koran.  Nations are free to put what they want in their individual governing documents if approved by the people, but when Jesus comes back to judge the earth and take His church home, He won't be judging by the World Constitutions, He will be judging according to His Word, the Bible.  You have to separate the spiritual from the physical.

There is separation of church and state, but there will come a time when the separation will be removed.

I know I didn't explain things very well, but its hard to put it into words.

I think same sex marriage is fine.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

but when Jesus comes back to judge the earth and take His church home, He won't be judging by the World Constitutions, He will be judging according to His Word, the Bible.

So is Jesus an unpatriotic liberal or a squishy RINO?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2013, 11:23:34 PM »

but when Jesus comes back to judge the earth and take His church home, He won't be judging by the World Constitutions, He will be judging according to His Word, the Bible.

He is God, so He transcends politics.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »

Sorry if my explanation sounded a bit murky.  I'm tired tonight. Smiley
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2013, 12:17:05 AM »

He is God, so He transcends politics.

So a dictator, then.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

It's just a sudden shock to what most of our generation and the ones before us grew up with.  We lived in a world where marriage was defined by the Bible (and technically still is), not by man (and technically still is not).  We need time to get used to it and come to terms with it.

I'm not saying it's the wrong approach, but I don't want it dumped on everybody in America.  I also don't want to be called a bigot or some how accused of hate should I preach against same sex marriage.
[/quote]

First of all, people ARE getting used to it - that's why you're seeing more support for the idea nationally, so maybe it's just time for you to play catch up.

Secondly, saying you "don't want it dumped on everybody in America" seems familiar to the arguments that the states' rights advocates used in their defense of slavery. No one is going to force you as a person to marry someone who is gay. Marriage is about love, and whom we choose to love cannot and should not be dictated by law. I can assure you that if/once it is legalized nationally, no churches will be forced to perform same-sex marriages if it goes against their doctrine. We just want to be treated equally under the law and enjoy the same benefits as heterosexual couples do.

Thirdly, in your time when marriage was defined by the Bible as you put it, would that also include the time when it was illegal for interracial couples to marry? Also, how can you say that it is/was defined by the Bible when man's law allows for divorce, which your Bible says is also an abomination. Doesn't your Bible also say if a woman is not a virgin on her marriage night that she shall be stoned to death? You cannot pick and choose what scriptures to follow and choose what scriptures not to follow, because according to your religion, the Bible is a done deal and it is not negotiable; therefore, by that very nature, by you not living 100% according to what the Bible preaches makes you a sinner, as we all are, so why feel the need to demonize one sin and condone one or others? That seems like you are adding to the Bible, which the Bible also speaks out against, so really you're committing two sins at once, and doing so in "Christ's name" is probably a sin somewhere in there, too, so that's three strikes against you.

Fourthly, I will agree with you that, yes, it is a generational issue, and if you haven't noticed, your generation is getting older and dying off, and my generation is expanding and we have grown up in a different time where we see no problems with same-sex marriage. We are the future of our country, and we do not want to live in your world/time, as you put it.

Finally, the Bible is not the supreme law of our country; the U.S. Constitution is, and it is through this document from which our rights are derived. The Declaration of Independence couldn't be any more specific with its preamble, "We hold these truths to be self-evident; that ALL men {and women] are created equal, and are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Denying someone liberty goes against everything we stand for as a nation. Man's law cannot be governed by the Bible. There is a separation of church doctrine in the U.S. Constitution. You head down a slippery slope when you start injecting religion into the discussion of how you feel on certain issues. If you want to live in a country where religion is the law of the land, move to the Middle East where they do follow religious law and where gay people are hanged to death and women are beaten and raped and have acid thrown in their faces "in the name of religion."

It all comes down to equality. Gay people pay the same taxes you do to the same government, and all we are asking for is to be treated equally.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »

Sorry, I just don't think it's that high.

Perhaps not, but I've honestly not seen an issue that the country went so left so fast on. 

Indeed.  It's kind of frightening in a way how fast the country has gone left on this issue.  It's not necessarily wrong, but I would have preferred a gradual shift to give the rest of the country time to get used to it.

It's like getting too much rain at one time in a persistent drought.  The ground can't absorb all of it at one time and thus creates flash flooding.  Slow, persistent, and frequent rains work better.

I'm not really following your argument. Right now there are a lot of states (California, Oregon, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Illinois, Delaware) where gay marriage is now favored by a large margin, and yet they don't have it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »

It's just a sudden shock to what most of our generation and the ones before us grew up with.  We lived in a world where marriage was defined by the Bible (and technically still is), not by man (and technically still is not).  We need time to get used to it and come to terms with it.

sh**t changes. It's hardly as big a shock in the grand scheme of things as numerous other events, such as heavier than air flight, Hiroshima & Nagasaki, man walking on the moon, 9/11, and so on.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies