CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:27:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery  (Read 8740 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »

http://gawker.com/5990863/conservative-panel-on-the-race-card-turns-to-chaos-after-audience-member-defends-slavery

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Disgruntled attendees left the room, shaking their heads and acknowledging that, "This is why we can't have nice things...like the presidency."

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:03 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2013, 06:04:21 PM by Yank2133 »

CPAC: The Woodstock for crazy people.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:28 PM »

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/03/cpacs-trump-race-card-panel-derailed-actual-segregationist/63173/
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Towson has a 23+ member White Students Union?!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 06:08:48 PM »

Someone certainly needed to correct the idiot. Perhaps it would have been more fitting if it was not only a woman, but a black woman that called him out.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 06:10:46 PM »

They didn't screen their speakers first to make sure this wouldn't happen?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »

Good God!
Someone certainly needed to correct the idiot. Perhaps it would have been more fitting if it was not only a woman, but a black woman that called him out.
Condi Rice and Mia Love were too busy preparing their speeches to attend this forum...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »

Two things:
1. K Carl Smith is black.  I doubt he's defending slavery and segregation; he's just saying that keeping blacks dependent on government handouts is essentially another form of slavery, and that it is worse than segregation.  This comment has been taken out of context.

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »

How is it still living in 1850, Terry?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »

Two things:
1. K Carl Smith is black.  I doubt he's defending slavery and segregation; he's just saying that keeping blacks dependent on government handouts is essentially another form of slavery, and that it is worse than segregation.  This comment has been taken out of context.

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

Seeing how all those Dixiecrats are the foundation of the modern GOP, I would say he is in the right party.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »

Just watched the video, lol.

Something I did notice was that (despite what the article said) it seemed like practically everyone laughed at the guy.  The article makes it sound like he said it and there was an outbreak of applause.
Really, I think there might've been one other person who clapped.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican liberal, and it was Republicans liberals who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat conservative, especially since he had a George Wallace button.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:06:14 PM »

Jesus. We don't need this. We just don't need this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 07:12:24 PM »

This is the sort of stuff that drove moderates from the party. And I don't mean the PR hit of one loose gun excusing slavery. It's the fact that, thanks to an increase in communication efficiency, we've grown to understand that a solid part of the GOP base has a powerful and negative opinion of black people (and Mexicans, and the Chinese, and certainly the Middle East). Who wants to empower that?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »

Was Simfan in the room?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:33:02 PM »

They didn't screen their speakers first to make sure this wouldn't happen?

not speakers from the audience, no.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »

Keep up the good work, this sort of thing only makes minorities even less likely to consider supporting Republicans.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 08:05:53 PM »

Keep up the good work, this sort of thing only makes minorities even less likely to consider supporting Republicans.

If a woman is the nominee in 2016 (hopefully Hillary), utter destruction of the GOP will ensue.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2013, 08:48:52 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

Ever wondered why scumbag racists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched parties? Liberals ended slavery, and southern conservatives happily fought against that... just like they opposed the Reconstruction amendments, women suffrage, segregation, and several more dubious social crusades that establishment Republicans pretend to have never happened.

We took the Deweys and Rockefellers of the world, you took the Thurmonds and the Wallaces and the Byrds.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

Good bye GOP
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 08:55:46 PM »

This guy passes muster as a Republican, but Chris Christie doesn't.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 09:08:12 PM »

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican liberal, and it was Republicans liberals who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat conservative, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

Well done.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »

Ugh.  This ought to have both my mother and my aunt rolling in their graves.  (They were both Towson alumnae.)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »

Ugh.  This ought to have both my mother and my aunt rolling in their graves.  (They were both Towson alumnae.)

Not a big surprise, considering Maryland is basically inner-city minorities in Baltimore, country club WASPs in Montgomery County, upscale blacks in Prince George's County, and raggedy, angry, unreconstructed rednecks everywhere else.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 06:13:48 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2013, 06:18:41 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican liberal, and it was Republicans liberals who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat conservative, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

Ever wondered why scumbag racists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched parties? Liberals ended slavery, and southern conservatives happily fought against that... just like they opposed the Reconstruction amendments, women suffrage, segregation, and several more dubious social crusades that establishment Republicans pretend to have never happened.

We took the Deweys and Rockefellers of the world, you took the Thurmonds and the Wallaces and the Byrds.

That is one hell of an oversimplification justified on political grounds. Roll Eyes

There is such a thing as a Pro-Civil Rights Conservative, arguably both Bob Taft and Everett Dirksen could be counted as such. The reason such unsavory people (like those you mentioned, not implying Taft or Dirksen were unsavory by the location of this sentence) joined the GOP wasn't because it full throated embraced dixie, but instead because it was the "lesser of two evils", as the party more inclined to advance a conservative ideal set, as opposed to the Democratic party, which was being pulled more and more to the left. A process that the GOP leadership encouraged through the use of specific and select issues that could just as easily by motivated by legitimate ideological views as they could by being a racist hater (the so-called "Southern Strategy"), which was adopted as a means to break out from its two region imprisonment and gain access into the SE and SW, both of which were more fertile ground for a conservative poltical party, then a party isolated in two regions dominated by unions, liberal ethnics and so forth.

The reason the GOP was more inclined to a conservative mindset in the 1960's, wasn't because of a hijacking but instead because of conservative influences in the Northeast (shocking as it may seem now, there were such bastions at the time. For many, Abolition and Prohibition were espoused by fervent Protestants wanting to export their beliefs to other people as means to "civilize them". Sound familiar?) and Midwest. Exemplified by the fact that as far back as Alexander Hamilton's (who gets counted as a Conservative and legitimately so) and John Adam's (another obvious conservative) Federalist Party, the party opposed to the Democrats (or Jefferson's party before them) had a conservative element of some form. That would include Lincoln's opposition to Popular Sovereignty on the basis of the promised freedoms being universal and thus untouchable to a transient majority opinion in a particular locale, which sounds a lot like the conservative view that the popular majority isn't always acceptable and should be checked by institutions (like constitutionally guarranteed and promised freedoms for one, or even just institutionalized precedents regarding such and those did exist at the time. They were ignored by the Supreme Court at the time which violated the Constitution, prior precedent and the Seperation of Powers to hand down Dred Scott. Sounds like a conservative complaint to me. Thanks to Mecha for finding the full Curtis dissent, I would recommend it to a friend).

Oh, but conservatism in the GOP came about because a bunch of racist Southerners hijacked the party in the 1960's, like that Ohioan name William McKinely in 1896 or that Ohioan Warren Harding in 1920 or that Massachusetts man Calvin Coolidge, who won not a single Southern state amongst them (save for TN in 1920 of course). There is something wrong with this statement, which should be obvious to anyone with objectivity, and that is basically a symbolic represenation of what you are saying. The notion that the party's just switched is one of the most blatant and stupid misrepresentations of history and is about as unnacceptable as blaming the Democrats of today for what Jackson and the boys did in 1830. Though, if I had to find a way to connect such to those unfortunate events of the past to the Democratic party of today, it wouldn't be based on nominal affiliations of a rotting corpse wearing a gray uniform (the oldiesfreak approach), but instead based on the designs regarding the critical institutions of our system and the long term risks from removing them. It would be more accurate to say that two parties with ideological diversity, subsequently went through a period of ideological polarization and thus resulted in a political realignment based on "current regional demographics", which in many cases had changed considerably over the decades. I am shocked, SHOCKED to find Irish in Massachusetts. Wink

Conservatism in the Republican party wasn't the result of a hijacking, stupidity, that is a different story.

In fairness, I have simplified here as well, but the reason wasn't to misrepresent. It was to avoid a tl;dr post and to save hours that I don't have today. If anyone disagrees with what I said, I will be happy to defend anything posted here.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »

Just watched the video, lol.

Something I did notice was that (despite what the article said) it seemed like practically everyone laughed at the guy.  The article makes it sound like he said it and there was an outbreak of applause.
Really, I think there might've been one other person who clapped.
facts schmacts, they've got a new chew toy to destroy.  On the other hand this

This is the sort of stuff that drove moderates from the party. And I don't mean the PR hit of one loose gun excusing slavery. It's the fact that, thanks to an increase in communication efficiency, we've grown to understand that a solid part of the GOP base has a powerful and negative opinion of black people (and Mexicans, and the Chinese, and certainly the Middle East). Who wants to empower that?
is also true.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies