CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:23:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CPAC forum on race devolves into hot mess after someone defends slavery  (Read 8783 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »

Two things:
1. K Carl Smith is black.  I doubt he's defending slavery and segregation; he's just saying that keeping blacks dependent on government handouts is essentially another form of slavery, and that it is worse than segregation.  This comment has been taken out of context.

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 07:01:29 PM »
« Edited: March 16, 2013, 07:03:27 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Two things:
1. K Carl Smith is black.  I doubt he's defending slavery and segregation; he's just saying that keeping blacks dependent on government handouts is essentially another form of slavery, and that it is worse than segregation.  This comment has been taken out of context.

2. Frederick Douglass was a Republican, and it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and segregation.  If Terry knew the history, he would be a Democrat, especially since he had a George Wallace button.

Seeing how all those Dixiecrats are the foundation of the modern GOP, I would say he is in the right party.
Not true.  The vast majority of Dixiecrats never became Republicans.  George Wallace, Bull Connor, Bob Byrd, Lester Maddox, Orval Faubus, Sam Ervin, Herman Talmadge, Fritz Hollings, etc. remained Democrats for life.
Conservatism in the Republican party wasn't the result of a hijacking, stupidity, that is a different story.

This was a very good post, but in all honesty I didn't need a history lesson and I wasn't postulating anything close to the notion that conservatism in the GOP was birthed by the Thurmonds and the Wallaces and the Byrds. I'm well aware of the backgrounds of the two parties and their generational shifts. The KKK was trying to hijack the Democrats' conventions just 40 years before those men switched parties, after all.

My point was that Republicans were happy to accomodate these men by branding themselves as the party that was less friendly to the darkies, and that's all those scumbags like Jesse Helms cared about politically. The GOP did it to strengthen the geography of the party and was wildy successful in doing so, but the Southern Strategy is still an extremely dubious stain to wear in (somewhat) recent political times. This was more relavant to bring up in race relations than anything in Oldiesfreak's potshot about the Civil War. I think the young man in the video knows exactly where his interests lie.
The Southern strategy had nothing to do with race.  It would have made no sense to do that in 1968 because George Wallace was running.  And although a few Dixiecrats became Republicans, most of the did not,.

Ever wondered why scumbag racists like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms switched parties? Liberals ended slavery, and southern conservatives happily fought against that... just like they opposed the Reconstruction amendments, women suffrage, segregation, and several more dubious social crusades that establishment Republicans pretend to have never happened.

We took the Deweys and Rockefellers of the world, you took the Thurmonds and the Wallaces and the Byrds.
Wrong again.  The vast majority of the segregationists never became Republicans.  George Wallace never became a Republican; Bob Byrd was a Democrat as recently as 2010, when he died.
Frederick Douglass was liberal for his time, and George Wallace was conservative for his time, but that doesn't change the fact that Douglass was a Republican and Wallace a Democrat.  Anyway, this guy clearly does not represent the majority of conservatives now, and most people, liberal or conservative, would consider him to just be an extremist.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies