Iraq War Creating a New Generation of Terrorists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Iraq War Creating a New Generation of Terrorists
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Iraq War Creating a New Generation of Terrorists  (Read 1604 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 16, 2005, 11:28:06 PM »

just as i feared before the war ever began......

War Helps Recruit Terrorists, Hill Told
Intelligence Officials Talk Of Growing Insurgency

By Dana Priest and Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

The insurgency in Iraq continues to baffle the U.S. military and intelligence communities, and the U.S. occupation has become a potent recruiting tool for al Qaeda and other terrorist groups, top U.S. national security officials told Congress yesterday.

"Islamic extremists are exploiting the Iraqi conflict to recruit new anti-U.S. jihadists," CIA Director Porter J. Goss told the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

"These jihadists who survive will leave Iraq experienced and focused on acts of urban terrorism," he said. "They represent a potential pool of contacts to build transnational terrorist cells, groups and networks in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and other countries."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28876-2005Feb16.html
Cashcow

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 11:30:51 PM »

I could probably count on one hand the number of Republicans that would admit to this.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 11:41:53 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2005, 11:44:31 PM by Proud Liberal »

I could probably count on one hand the number of Republicans that would admit to this.

yes, i know, they have been claiming for years ever since the initial invasion, that the war in Iraq could only make this country safer since we are fighting terrorists over 'there' as opposed to here.  what happens when all those terrorists we are creating in Iraq come over here?  what then?

one would think that that one flaw in their theory would be so obvious it wouldn't even be worth mentioning.   
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 11:47:46 PM »

Cool
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 12:45:01 AM »

anyone else want to comment on this disturbing but entirely predictable development? 
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 02:26:12 AM »

My first comment is that Dana Priest is a leftist stooge and moron who doesn't know what she's talking about and has a habit of distroting information to serve ideological ends.

Read Goos' comments carefully, and seriously ask yourself if this could be interpreted the way Priest does if let stand on its own without the provocative headline.

Of course what Goss is actually saying is that Al Qaeda is USING Iraq to recruit terrorists, not that they are having more success than they ever did.

That's not unusual at all.  Al Qaeda uses American pop music to recruit terrorists.  They're psychopathic lunatics, they think everything is worth a Fatwa.  Any American presence, whether its military occuation to cultural exchange to international trade is considered an abomination against Islam to these people, so lets not go overboard trying to accomodate the precious little ones.

He also says that those who survive (and the insurgents have tended to have short military careers, if you know what I mean) will be very skilled.

This is not unusual at all.  Experience makes you better at stuff.  We're also better at combating terrorism than we were before we went into Iraq.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 03:05:36 AM »

anyone else want to comment on this disturbing but entirely predictable development? 

Yeah, I'll comment: you're stupid! 

I'm sure Japan wasn't too happy with us declaring war against them the day after Pearl Harbor, and many US lives would have been saved (in the short term) if FDR would have simply surrrendered to Japan,  Germany, and Italy.  But FDR was willing to send 200,000 Americans to their death.

Obviously, those who hate us aren't going to go down without a fight.

Wake up, Proud Liberal, you should take no pride in being an idiot.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 11:46:35 PM »

I'm sure Japan wasn't too happy with us declaring war against them the day after Pearl Harbor, and many US lives would have been saved (in the short term) if FDR would have simply surrrendered to Japan,  Germany, and Italy.  But FDR was willing to send 200,000 Americans to their death.

And you should stop pretending Iraq had anything to do with 911.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:06:16 AM »

I mean, this argument is so tautological it's not even funny.

The war isn't "creating" anything, though it is providing some combat experience for guerillas. However, the transnational organizational model is more or less based around interchangeable parts under a well-protected leadership.

The bottom line is that, in war, you have to kill the enemy. Seems fairly obvious, but some people don't seem to get it. Whether or not you should have started the war to begin with is a separate question, particularly once you accept the idea winning is preferable to losing.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »

And you should stop pretending Iraq had anything to do with 911.

when have i ever?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies