RNC: Voters see GOP as 'scary' and 'out of touch' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:46:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  RNC: Voters see GOP as 'scary' and 'out of touch' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RNC: Voters see GOP as 'scary' and 'out of touch'  (Read 3585 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: March 20, 2013, 06:46:08 AM »

Freedom for gays may be close at hand, but freedom for the poor seems to be further away than ever.

For sure.  Both parties and all aspects of society are firmly committed to the poor remaining enslaved forever.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »

Who knew? In a not so veiled way, the generalized fluff of a text basically is saying that the Pubs need to throw social conservatives under the bus. Either that, or figure out how olds can live to be 200 (what a horrible thought!).

There are many sensible olds whom I would not mind having live to be 200; you might even be one of them.

Maybe he'll last long enough for the Revolution to come and he can be guillotined.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »

Moving to the center on social issues won't help the GOP. It'll just send their white working class voters into the hands of the Democrats, who actually would do a better job representing them anyway, at least on pocketbook issues. If the Republicans want to make themselves electable and make inroads with minorities, they don't need to move to the left on social issues. Rather, they need to stop being the elected patrons of plutocratic privilege.

Of course that will never happen. The Republicans have been in plutocracy's grip since 1876, and every time they nominate a reformer (T.R., Ike) they ultimately get outmaneuvered by the bone-headed business elites that want to drag the country back into the Gilded Age. If by some miracle the GOP could move to the center on economics, or even the center-left, they'd have a good shot at rebuilding themselves as a mass party, conservative social positions or not.

Correct, and this, coupled with the possibility that the Democratic party could someday move left due to the browns makes me anticipate some form of (further) anti-democratic alteration of the State - as our own pbrower has often predicted.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Moving to the center on social issues won't help the GOP. It'll just send their white working class voters into the hands of the Democrats, who actually would do a better job representing them anyway, at least on pocketbook issues.

How many white working-class Republicans think like that though? "Oh I'd vote for the Democrats, except I'm a social conservative." In my experience, people who are right-wing on social issues are also usually pretty damn right-wing on economics, regardless of income (this is especially true in places like the South or the West). And as opebo often alludes to, a lot of the economic AND social conservatism of working-class and working-poor whites is due to racism (and also paired with sexism, particularly among white men).

Good points, but anyway, it doesn't really matter what these people do, there aren't enough of them anymore..
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies