Cooperative Countries of a Shared World
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:05:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Cooperative Countries of a Shared World
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Cooperative Countries of a Shared World  (Read 17065 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2013, 07:38:04 AM »
« edited: April 05, 2013, 09:14:32 AM by a Person »

Official Name: Kingdom of Baden
Common Name: Baden
Territorial Description: North Baden, South Hessen, Breisgau, Ulm
Capital: Friedrichsburg (near otl St. Leon-Rot, ie half-way between Bruchsal and Heidelberg)
Government: Constitutional/Figurehead Monarchy (King Ernst III ruling since 2008); a 95-member Parliament is elected at least every five years.
Head of Government: Prime Minister Leonhard Mathy (WCF/Durlach, PM since 1998)
Currency: Gulden (BGU)
Level of Freedom: High (exception: see below)
Population: 8.5 million
Languages: German
Religion: mostly Roman-Catholic
Level of Technology and Development: High
History: The Margraviate of Baden, based in the upper Rhine valley, was one of the numerous small German states comprising the Holy Roman Empire of the German Peoples, and its early history is not notably different from those of Bavaria, Oldenburg, Saxony, etc.
Baden, aligned with Aragon, came out of PE1 (which caused the dissolution of the HREGP) with massive gains to its north, including the commercial centre of Frankfurt. It was also elevated to the status of a Kingdom. Over the next ca. 120 years, Baden remained for the most part neutral, excepting frequent skirmishes with its neighbour Württemberg.
In 1953, Baden became one of the founding members of the German League, whose mission is to promote co-operation and cultural and economic exchange between the various German states.
Interesting Fact: The members of Parliament are elected from single-member districts which have not been redrawn since their initial formation in the 1840s (except for the addition or removal of territories on the border to Württemberg). The resulting population inequality has caused questionable electoral conditions; for example, in the last election (October 2008), the ruling Wählerbewegung für Christliche Fürsorge (Voters' Movement for Christian Welfare) received a majority in 51 districts while winning only 42% of the overall national vote. The Badische Kreutzeristische Arbeiterpartei (Badensian Kreutzerist Workers' Party) meanwhile received a majority in 41 districts while winning 54% nationwide. The remaining three districts were won by independents. Even party stalwarts are now growing tired of the WCF's refusal to discuss electoral reform; the BKWP is likely to gain anywhere from 5 to 25 seats this October.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:46 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2013, 12:42:25 PM by afleitch »

Official Name: Principality of the White Rus
Common Name: White Rus or Whiterussia
Territorial Description: Belarus and part of eastern Poland
Capital: Minsk
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Head of State: Prince Stanislau III
Head of Government: Andrei Lyzhyn
Currency: White Russian Rouble
Level of Freedom: Moderate to High
Population: 10 Million
Languages: Russian is the official language.
Religion: There is no state church. 55% have no religion. The main religious faith is White Russian Orthodox, the product of a 1725 split in orthodoxy
Level of Technology and Development: Relatively High
History: Fomerly part of the Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania and fought over by Muscovy, the Principality became independent in 1825. It has retrained it’s independence since then.
Interesting Fact: The capital Minsk has the worlds largest swimming pool; a folly designed by Prince Sergei II in 1923.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »

afleitch, you might want to change your history to avoid contradictions with others.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 05:04:28 PM by True Federalist »

Federal Flag
Denmark
Norway
Pommerania

Official Name: Federal Kingdom of Denmark, Norway, and Pomerania
Common Name: Crown of Denmark or Greater Denmark
Territorial Description: Norway, Denmark, southwest Sweden, northeast Germany, northwest Poland
Capitals: København (Federal and Danish), Oslo (Norwegian), Danzig (Pomerania)
Government: Constitutional Monarchy. The Federal Presidency rotates on a yearly basis between the three prime ministers
Head of State: King Christian IX
Federal President and Pomeranian Prime Minister: Avraham Bernstein
Danish Prime Minister: Otto Sandøe Bluhme
Norwegian Prime Minister: Gunnar Løvland
Constitutional Court consists of one judge each from not only the three Danish kingdoms, but also the Kingdoms of Kongo and Samoa and the Republics of Iceland and Java.
Level of Freedom: High
Population: 35 million
Languages: Danish, Norwegian, and Pomeranian are coöfficial languages at the federal level, with each language being the sole official language of its kingdom, with the other two recognized as minority languages. (Pomeranian is a German dialect in this timeline and not a West Slavic language as it is in ours.) Swedish is a recognized minority language in Denmark, Wendish and Kashubian are recognized minority languages in Pomerania
Religion: Asatru is a revived Germanic neopaganism that originated in the 18th century that also became associated with Norwegian nationalism is the late 19th century
Denmark: Reformationist 70%, Roman Catholic 15%, Asatru 10%, Other 5%
Norway: Reformationist 55%, Asatru 30%, Roman Catholic 10%, Other 5%
Pommerania: Roman Catholic 60%, Reformationist 20%, Jewish 10%, Asatru 5%, Other 5%
Level of Technology and Development:
History: The Danish realm has seen a number of high points and low points.  At one time ruling all of Scandanavia, Swedish nobles revolted and regained Sweden's independence in 1488.  Traditionally cooperated with Lithuania against Sweden and Poland, which explains how Lithuania was able to settle colonies outside Europe as the Danes never interfered with their their use of the Danish straits connecting the Baltic and North Seas. Pomerania was upgraded from a Duchy to a Kingdom following the dissolution of the northern Holy Roman Empire. The Norsetinget was established as a Norwegian parliament in 1888 and given limited autonomy. In the post PE3 reforms, The Danish Rigsdagen was made into the Federal Parliament and a new Dansktinget established for just Denmark,and the existing Diet of Danzig was renamed the Pommerntag.
Interesting Fact: Despite his name, King Christian is a follower of the Asatru religion.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 11:51:12 AM »

Ernest, you need to include Baden -- afleitch ignored my claim.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

Ernest, you need to include Baden -- afleitch ignored my claim.

I'm not quite certain how much to include in Baden.  If I was simply cutting and pasting your map into my map, that's not a problem.
lincolnwall
Kiwi election junkie
Rookie
New Zealand

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.70

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 05:57:51 PM »

I'd like to stake a claim, which I will make in a couple hours, in the area of Finland/Estonia/Northwestern Russia. Please leave this area open.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »

How do I get to the map and add a place to it?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2013, 07:38:09 PM by Harry »

I'd like to stake a claim, which I will make in a couple hours, in the area of Finland/Estonia/Northwestern Russia. Please leave this area open.

Can you make sure to include Baden on the map, since it somehow got lost?

Once lincoln_wall takes his turn, you can take a turn by adding a country to the map and giving its information and history.  Make sure its history aligns with everyone else's, since this is one single world.

Also, Afleitch, can you make sure your history of White Russia conforms to the established history of the world?  I think there are a few mentions of Lithuania in some other countries, but it shouldn't take any major changes.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 08:06:42 PM »

Once lincoln_wall takes his turn, you can take a turn by adding a country to the map and giving its information and history.  Make sure its history aligns with everyone else's, since this is one single world.

Oh, I know about that; I'm just wondering about exactly how I'd go about adding a country to the map. Is it some sort of file thing?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 09:15:06 PM »

Oh, I know about that; I'm just wondering about exactly how I'd go about adding a country to the map. Is it some sort of file thing?

Copy and paste it into Microsoft Paint or some other similar program.  It will be full size when you paste it into there.  Make sure you don't save it is a JPEG which distorts the image.

If you don't have Paint, you can just describe where your country is and the next person can fill it in.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:27 PM »

Copy and paste it into Microsoft Paint or some other similar program.  It will be full size when you paste it into there.  Make sure you don't save it is a JPEG which distorts the image.

If you don't have Paint, you can just describe where your country is and the next person can fill it in.

Thanks!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »

Are you going to take your turn, lincolnwall?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »

Also, Afleitch, can you make sure your history of White Russia conforms to the established history of the world?  I think there are a few mentions of Lithuania in some other countries, but it shouldn't take any major changes.

Well, the area should have been Lithuanian until PE2 at the earliest (the same goes for lincolnwall, I think) so it depends on what you mean by 'major'.
lincolnwall
Kiwi election junkie
Rookie
New Zealand

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2013, 04:52:33 AM »

Are you going to take your turn, lincolnwall?

Yes, I wasn't able to take it when I originally intended. It will be up in a few minutes

lincolnwall
Kiwi election junkie
Rookie
New Zealand

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2013, 07:12:11 AM by lincolnwall »

Official Name: Democratic Republic of Finland
Common Name: Finland, Suomi (Finnish), Soome (Estonian)
Territorial Description: OTL Finland, Estonia, all lands surrounding the Gulf of Finland, Karelia, extending to the White Sea coast
Government: Presidential parliamentary republic. A president is head of state and elected every 3 years and can serve for a maximum of 3 terms. The upper house of the parliament is elected every 4 years and the lower house every 2. The First Minister is the head of government and is elected from the lower house, but in a separate section on the ballot. There are 9 provinces, which do not elect their own governments but exist primarily for administrative purposes.
President: Matti Ekkonen
First Minister: Janno Kask
Level of Freedom: High
Population: 10.5 million
Languages: Standard Finnish is the majority language, but co-official with Estonian and Karelian. Finnish 60%, Estonian 29%, Karelian 11%.
Religion: No official religion, and the vast majority of the population profess to be non-religious; a small minority follow various Christian denominations.
Level of Technology and Development: Very High
History: The current Uralic language-speaking (i.e. Finnish, Estonian and Karelian) realms were largely agricultural regions in their early history. Beginning in the 12th and 13th centuries, the the Swedish made some incursions into Finnish lands, but were mostly peaceful. This contact lead to the development of a more settled lifestyle which spread to the east and south. By the early 1400s, the native Finns were becoming nationalistic and secretly gathered together an army of rebels from the surrounding territories, led by the Finn Orvo. They were successful in driving out the Swedes; and the Finns, Estonians and Karelians have remained on good terms since. Until the 1800s, the region and its peoples had limited contact with others, aside from occasional contacts with Baltic peoples to the south and the Swedes. Through the saga of the Pan-European wars the countries remained intentionally neutral and began to move towards a national union based on their shared history and culture, and after PE2, the politically vague region was unified under a single government as a precaution in case of future wars. With the threat of PE3 looming, the country sought to solidify its political structure, and drafted a full constitution in 1930 outlining the form and powers of the government and state, establishing a capital at Viipuri. A small reserve military was created, but the Republic reiterated its neutral stance and was not involved in the conflict. After witnessing the destruction of PE3 across Europe, Finland quickly began to reform and modernise and has emerged as a highly developed society in the fields of education and technology.
Interesting Fact: The Democratic Republic of Finland is home to the headquarters of the global tech giant Savo.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2013, 10:38:31 AM by Harry »

I've compiled a list of all of the wars.  Let me know if I missed any or if I got anything wrong here:

1400s - Finns, Estonians and Karelians drive out the Swedes.

1488 - Sweden revolts and wins independence from the Danish realm.

1600s or before? - Eighty Years War - England and France came into a personal union of the English king.

1600s - Magello-Castilian War. Castille tried to conquer the Aragonese colony of Tierra del Fuego and Valdivia but failed.

1680 - The Tawantinsuyu rise up against their Aragonese overlords and are harshly and cruelly put down.

1757 - Castile's two New World colonies win independence simultaneously, the [North American] one for liberty and self-determination, Santa Cruz to keep more money for themselves.

1799-1811 - Elodie wins independence from France-England in a war.

1820s - PE1. Apparently begun with a Castile vs. Aragon conflict that ended with an Aragonese victory. The Holy Roman Empire (Germany) fell into Civil War, with different parts fighting on different sides. Baden was on Aragon's side, and the German HRE was dissolved at the end of the war.
While not formally stated, I would assume the Lithuanian Empire's collapse has something to do with PE1 since it happened at the same time. New Caledonia and Siberia become independent.

1820s-1846 - Castile goes through decades of unrest and various coups and dictators before settling down into a republic

1848 - Scottish monarchy overthrown by rebellion, New Caledonia given independence

1880s - PE2. Aragon and England-France were on different sides.
Venice surrendered quickly. Finland was neutral.
Australia secured independence from England-France with Aragon's help at this same time.

1893, 1902, 1910 - Santa Cruz repels commoner's revolutions.

1904 - France-England grants Choka independence, because dealing with the independence movements just aren't worth it anymore.

1913 - An uprising in India drives out the French-English and establishes an independent nation.

1920-1922 - Pan-Celtic War. The Celtic Union wins independence from France-England with the help of Scotland and New Calednoia.

1921 - Obregulan revolution dissolves Santa Cruz and creates the Revolutionary Obregulan Republic.

late 1920s-1933 - Santi-Henri (once a French colony) falls to Obregulan revolution and is incorporated into the Revolutionary Obregulan Republic. Obregulan revolutions also occur in the Aragonese protectorate of Tawantinsuyu and the Aragonese colony of Providència. Aragonese sends troops to put down the rebellion, but they fail, and Aragon withdraws from the continent in 1933. Providència is incorporated into the Revolutionary Obregulan Republic. This may or may not be related to PE3:

1930s - PE3. Castile is on the winning side and is the only country not bombed or invaded, letting it became the most powerful country for a while.
After the war, there is a big wave of decolonization. The Danish realm is reorganized into kingdoms.
Venice, the Celtic Union and Finland were neutral.

1950s or before to present - Aragon and the Revolutionary Obregulan Republic are in a state of cold war, never directly fighting, but supporting various movements worldwide that would install friendly governments to them.

1988-1995 - War of the Nile. Fought Arabia and the United States of East Africa.

1990s - Jamestown falls into Civil War, which nearly rips the country apart. Another country's assistance helps end the war.

? - East Asian Wars. Hokkaido was neutral

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

You didn't mention the civil war in Jamestown in the 1990's
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »

1820s - PE1. Apparently begun with a Castile vs. Aragon conflict that ended with an Aragonese victory. Baden was allied with Aragon, and the war led to the dissoultion of the German Holy Roman Empire.
While not formally stated, I would assume the Lithuanian Empire's collapse has something to do with PE1 since it happened at the same time. New Caledonia and Siberia become independent. Castile, the Holy Roman Empire (Germany), and Lithuania were all on the losing side?

The states comprising the HREGP were scattered between both sides (some were neutral -- see Bavaria)
That's why it dissolved -- there had been wars between component states before but not on this scale.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

1820s - PE1. Apparently begun with a Castile vs. Aragon conflict that ended with an Aragonese victory. Baden was allied with Aragon, and the war led to the dissoultion of the German Holy Roman Empire.
While not formally stated, I would assume the Lithuanian Empire's collapse has something to do with PE1 since it happened at the same time. New Caledonia and Siberia become independent. Castile, the Holy Roman Empire (Germany), and Lithuania were all on the losing side?

The states comprising the HREGP were scattered between both sides (some were neutral -- see Bavaria)
That's why it dissolved -- there had been wars between component states before but not on this scale.

OK, I'll make that fix.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »

Official Name: Crown of Castile
Common Name: Canaries, Castile (to supporters), the Monarchal Castile
Territorial Description: Canary Islands, Madeira, Azores
Government: Constitutional monarchy. Nowadays the king (currently Leon V) doesn't really have much power - it's mostly in the hands of the Chamber of the People
Level of Freedom: Generally high. Similar to OTL Western European countries
Population: 3,500,000
Languages: Castilian (official) 99%. Latin is a common second language
Religion: Catholic (official) 78%, Other Christian 8%, Jewish 2%, Other 1%, Irreligious 11%
Level of Technology and Development: High. The islands are all covered in high quality roads and the government operates high-quality low-cost transportation by sea and air between the islands.
History: It was always a Castilian tradition for a king to appoint his oldest son as the Duke of the Canaries with some limited autonomy to get practice at governing so they wouldn't have to learn on the job. Just in case, other sons or brothers would be made dukes of Madeira and the Azores, which were much less populated. Sancho III was crowned King of Castile in 1823 during PE1 and appointed his 14-year-old son Martin as Duke of the Canaries. Unfortunately for Sancho, the aftermath of PE1 saw mass rebellions and the deposing of the king. Martin, on the other hand was much shrewder than people expected and was able to maintain martial law in the Canaries. After Sancho died in house arrest in 1845, the now-36-year-old claimed to be the rightful King of Castile and was supported by most of the population of the Canary Islands. Many monarchists from mainland Castile fled to the Canaries to live in the kingdom. Martin was able to secure Madeira and the Azores as part of his kingdom (since they had been governed by his uncles), and he made sure Aragon and the Pope recognized him as the rightful King of Castile, but he never actually tried to reconquer the mainland.
The Canaries are closely allied with Aragon, fighting alongside with them in PE2 and PE3. Since then, they've made little impact on the world stage.
Interesting Fact: The monarch still claim the title of King of Castile today. Mainland Castile just thinks of this as silly and cute, and the two countries have a friendly relationship.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »

History: Fomerly part of the Kingdom of Poland-Lithuania and fought over by Muscovy, the Principality became independent in 1825. It has retrained it’s independence since then.

I think that ties up the inconsistency.  White Russia breaks away as the Lithuanian Empire falls apart, and Muscovy (another remnant of the Lithuanian Empire?) tries to take over it, but fails.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »

I'd intended the Eighty Years War to be this timeline's version of the Hundred Years War but with no Joan of Arc to revive the French cause, so it would have been in the 14th century or so.  Roughly 1340-1420 but somewhat movable if needed to accommodate other historical needs.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »

East Asian Wars would be approx 1840-1920, sparking up and fading. Maybe a little bot earlier and a little bit later, depending on what people want to do with it. Basically between Japanese, Korean, and Chinese groups.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »

Claiming.  Let's get this going again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies