Why do so many people in Britain hate hoodies so much? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why do so many people in Britain hate hoodies so much? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do so many people in Britain hate hoodies so much?  (Read 1721 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2013, 12:33:25 PM by dialectical fetishist »

classism - they're a symbol of the disenfranchised working class that was created by deindustrialization and thatcherism, and thus to the rise of crime and social deprivation in those areas. the genuine middle class mentality in modern britain is that of the bunker, they really believe the 'unwashed masses' are going to outbreed them and create a debauched immoral society, because their only source of news about the world outside tunbridge wells is the daily telegraph.

to the 'aspirational' working classes and middle class, "chavs" are the Other, an opposition to every value they hold.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »

The Telegraph does not carry any news about the world outside Tunbridge Wells. You're thinking of the Daily Mail.

But yes, that was my first guess seeing the question: Probably associated with the White Working Class ("chavs").

Full disclosure: One hoodie was worn during the production of this post.

well, the daily mail too, but i felt like i'd be beating a dead horse there - the torygraph still has some respectability despite being somewhere to the right of mussolini.

and yeah, it's the white working class mainly too - limousine liberals are allowed to hate them because often they're seen as being backward racists and homophobes, while conservatives see them as lawless savages.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:58:01 PM »

1 poster has read Chavs, 2011's unlikely bestseller.

rumbled.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 01:40:20 PM »

What does it mean 'rumbled'?

Of course no need to read something like that.  In my case I've merely met a lot of British in Thailand ranging from upper-working class (I think not chavs) through lower middle to proper middle class people.  So, yes, I've had a 'bloody earful' about chavs.

they caught me out on one of my influences on this topic.

and yeah, it's not restricted to the petty bourgeois sadly - there's plenty of hatred towards 'chavs' even from those who are in the upper working class, and even below that. divide and conquer.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:05:57 PM »

Because people in hoodies stab you. /sarcasm

To be fair, they're going a bit out of fashion. I wear hoodies every now and then, mainly when I'm just lounging around wasting time on the Atlas Forum.

i've noticed that too a little, but the whole chav hysteria seems to have actually been dying off as a whole in the last couple of years, probably due to the economy. i remember it peaking around 2006/7
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies