Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:42:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78373 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:18 PM »

What about finding a basketball court somewhere (whether inside or outside) and shooting hoops?  Not necessarily the most strenuous activity in the world, but at least it's better than sitting around all day at a computer or TV.

What about frisbee golf?  That doesn't require any knowledge other than how to throw a frisbee.  Are there any frisbee gold places in your area?  Any friends who might want to play that with you some time?  Again, not the most strenuous exercise, but at least it gets you outside, walking around.

Also, you live in a supposedly first world country.  How is it that you can't swim?  Didn't they teach you  how to swim in gym class when you were in school?

I occasionally shoot hoops, especially on Wednesday nights after church.

I love frisbee golf, I forgot about that one, but I don't know of any organized activities for that around here.

I took swimming lessons 2 years in a row from a private, certified instructor at her home pool in the early 90's in a group of about 4 other kids, but they never took hold, because I never learned to relax and trust the flotation devices. I was too focused on not drowning that I never learned to swim.  I never had swim lessons in gym class, it was all activities that required sneakers and gym shorts, not swim trunks such as foot races, tag, freeze tag, basketball, softball.  I got a lot of exercise in grade school gym class, but the gym classes stopped after the 6th grade and i never took PE in Junior High or High School, because I hated to run.  As strange as that sounds, as a kid, I did not like running, and I hated my parents see me run.  I still don't like it and that is one of my big problems.  In fact, I hated performing for my parents in most anything.  It was a big step just to take band for 7 years, and it's only been in the last few years that I have felt comfortable singing in front of people.  I only took band because I came from a band family.  My father played the baritone, my mother played the clarinet, my brother played the french horn, and I played the tuba in our respective high school years.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

What kind of American public school has its own pool to teach kids how to swim in? Most Americans learn to swim, if they do, through private swim classes. About half of the population can't swim, and this is especially true of poor people.

I went to Choctaw schools, and the high school adjacent to my east, Harrah High School, had swim lessons in their PE classes since they have an indoor pool that is open to the public every year from June 1-July 31.

They even have a swim team.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2013, 11:08:03 PM »

What kind of American public school has its own pool to teach kids how to swim in? Most Americans learn to swim, if they do, through private swim classes. About half of the population can't swim, and this is especially true of poor people.

I went to an American public middle school (in a suburb of Milwaukee) where there was a pool and they taught swimming.  But yeah, I already knew how to swim before that.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2013, 11:27:23 PM by Lief »

Hm, that's weird. The middle school I went to for one year had a pool outside, but we never used it during gym class. It was actually technically a public city pool and was only open during the summer (even the school swim team practiced at a private club pool about a mile away). Otherwise I don't think any of the public schools in my city had their own pools. Maybe it's a suburban thing? That just seems like an incredibly expensive/unnecessary luxury.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »

Every few days, Bushie has another marathon tv event. I'm a pretty lazy guy, but I can't see staring at the tv for hour after hour. The tv gets boring pretty quickly. I still say he needs some drugs to get him moving around a little bit. Obesity is a disease of the brain, first and foremost.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2013, 01:47:51 AM »

So you're saying gym wasn't mandatory after the sixth grade?

What the [inks] is wrong with Oklahoma?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2013, 01:50:50 AM »

Not sure what I have to do with this... I've never been to Oklahoma.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:43 AM »

Morbidly obese people like Bushie probably design the school system, and they know how exhausting that hike from the last parking row to Wal-Mart can be. They're just thinking of the children and trying not to wear them out too much.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #308 on: April 11, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »

1. I can't see you doing computer-aided drafting.
2. The class is self-paced?  If you're as diligent with class as you are with your dieting and exercise plans, you might finish before 2020.

How are you going to pay off the $2,500 if you don't know you have a job right after?  Why not get a job and save up money and then take the class?

1. I've always been interested in architecture.  It involves higher math, such as Geometry and Trigonometry, both of which I have taken and did pretty well in.  The aptitude test will tell me more and if not CAD, it will tell me what I would be good in.

2.  Fair assessment, but it is not self-paced at home, it is self-paced in the classroom and it will be in an area that interests me, so I should be fine

3.  They'll have a job-placement service at the end of the program, so I should be fine with that.

By the way: If you think trigonometry is "higher math"... Roll Eyes
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #309 on: April 11, 2013, 03:36:46 AM »

2. The class is self-paced?  If you're as diligent with class as you are with your dieting and exercise plans, you might finish before 2020.

How are you going to pay off the $2,500 if you don't know you have a job right after?  Why not get a job and save up money and then take the class?

1. I've always been interested in architecture.  It involves higher math, such as Geometry and Trigonometry, both of which I have taken and did pretty well in.  The aptitude test will tell me more and if not CAD, it will tell me what I would be good in.

2.  Fair assessment, but it is not self-paced at home, it is self-paced in the classroom and it will be in an area that interests me, so I should be fine

3.  They'll have a job-placement service at the end of the program, so I should be fine with that.

By the way: If you think trigonometry is "higher math"... Roll Eyes

Yeah, geometry and trig were both required in my high school (although trig was part of "precalculus").  It's not higher math until you at least get to pre-calc, although even that is pretty basic compared to calculus and differential equations.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #310 on: April 11, 2013, 03:42:14 AM »

You need to at least be able to differentiate and integrate to pass 13th grade (in Hesse at least), and at that relatively basic level, I certainly wouldn't yet call that higher math.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #311 on: April 11, 2013, 07:09:09 AM »

Hm, that's weird. The middle school I went to for one year had a pool outside, but we never used it during gym class. It was actually technically a public city pool and was only open during the summer (even the school swim team practiced at a private club pool about a mile away). Otherwise I don't think any of the public schools in my city had their own pools. Maybe it's a suburban thing? That just seems like an incredibly expensive/unnecessary luxury.

My high school had an indoor pool and the school had been built in the 50's and been there the whole time. And every high school in the area has one too. You probably just went to horrible, poor urban schools.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #312 on: April 11, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »

I still say he needs some drugs to get him moving around a little bit.

What the heck do you mean - some form of speed?  I hear people that use those types of drugs are quite thin.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #313 on: April 11, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »

i dont want to be rude inks.  but...

you seem to be berating bushie more than encouraging him.  you come across as someone who is quite miserable in your own life.

you constantly tell him to apply to jobs.  fine.  but then i seem to remember you telling him something like: 'i wouldnt hire you and i work in food service...' 

and i should add it really doesnt matter one damn bit what you can or cant see bushie doing.  your visions of bushie's future are irrelevant.

we all agree bushie needs help.  professional help.  continually berating him isnt going to push him to get that help.  trust me on that.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #314 on: April 11, 2013, 09:58:27 AM »

I absolutely support Bushie watching The Masters this week. I will be doing the same thing. At least he isn't watching some other silly TV program. He can learn something about history!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »

I'll be watching it all afternoon today, about 3 hours worth tomorrow, and Saturday and Sunday remain to be seen.

Tomorrow evening, I'm going out to eat with some high school friends who live nearby.  There two older kids have autism, and the only place they will eat is at a certain Mexican Restaurant in Midwest City, so I will have Mexican food tomorrow night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2013, 10:35:18 AM »

I know the question will come up, so I'll just answer it now.  I'm leaving at 13:30 to go over to my Grandmother's for the Master's, so I'll take a walk at 12:30.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:55 AM »

I know the question will come up, so I'll just answer it now.  I'm leaving at 13:30 to go over to my Grandmother's for the Master's, so I'll take a walk at 12:30.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #318 on: April 11, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »

Bushie needs to take my going to shows and dancing and moshing idea seriously. It would've been easier in SLC obviously.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #319 on: April 11, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

Make sure you drink a mint julep for two...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #320 on: April 11, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »

Display name:  Play Ball Bushie
Username:  BushOklahoma
Position:  YaBB God
Date Registered:  February 27, 2005, 03:02:34 pm
Last Active:  Today at 01:50:17 pm
Current Status:   Online   

So you walked at 12:30, your time, eh? 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:47 PM »

Display name:  Play Ball Bushie
Username:  BushOklahoma
Position:  YaBB God
Date Registered:  February 27, 2005, 03:02:34 pm
Last Active:  Today at 01:50:17 pm
Current Status:   Online   

So you walked at 12:30, your time, eh? 

I went out and walked a bit earlier.  I just got back in.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

Besides, I'm always online even when I'm not at the computer.  I never log out of the forum on my own computer.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #323 on: April 11, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »

Besides, I'm always online even when I'm not at the computer.  I never log out of the forum on my own computer.

That's not how it works.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #324 on: April 11, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

That's not how it works.

Right.  Did anyone really believe he was going for a walk at 12:30 so he can go to granny's at 13:30?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies