Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78395 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 12:13:27 AM »

Bushie, do you shut down threads only to reopen them, because you can't take the heat, and hope it dies down with a hiatus?

That's what he's always done in the past, yes.  Though that tends to be a last resort.  His preferred method is to keep the thread open, but just deflect the questions he doesn't like by saying "I'm not going to talk about this anymore.  Let's move on."  But if people keep persisting, then he resorts to thread closure.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »

The fact that Bushie has to take advantage of this Native American loophole to stay alive is an indictment of the American healthcare system, not him.

If it's Native American healthcare, wouldn't it be largely separate from the American healthcare system?

Right, that's my point. The poor bastard has to find some excuse to leave the American healthcare system entirely, or else he'll literally die. We should be applauding his resourcefulness against a system that is heavily weighted against him.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 01:54:05 AM »

I sure hope Bushie finds love again in this season.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »

31 years old with one foot in the grave and the other in the poor house.  You can change this if you stop acting like a helpless.

No, his condition is caused by capitalism, patrick.  Bushie, just like you or I, is a victim of the horrible, cannibalistic system under which we all live.  It is offensive and counterproductive to blame one's fellow victims for their inevitable annihilation.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »

31 years old with one foot in the grave and the other in the poor house.  You can change this if you stop acting like a helpless.

No, his condition is caused by capitalism, patrick.  Bushie, just like you or I, is a victim of the horrible, cannibalistic system under which we all live.  It is offensive and counterproductive to blame one's fellow victims for their inevitable annihilation.

In other news, I am going to make an Hispanic (Guillermo - Memo for short) who hopped the border at 16 in 1987 with no English and no money, a rich man in our new business venture together. He in the ensuing years learned English (including writing it quite well), and ended up running the doors and windows manufacturing plant for the company that went out of business last November (with 60 people reporting to him). You say upward mobility does not exist. I know better. It does. I have seen it with my own two beady little eyes. Under my guidance, he now has become facile with spreadsheets, and how to construct business plans (e.g., separating out overhead from variable costs), and sophisticated cost accounting systems. He also owns two four-plexes, and his own home in Anaheim.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »

In other news, I am going to make an Hispanic (Guillermo - Memo for short) who hopped the border at 16 in 1987 with no English and no money, a rich man in our new business venture together. He in the ensuing years learned English (including writing it quite well), and ended up running the doors and windows manufacturing plant for the company that went out of business last November (with 60 people reporting to him). You say upward mobility does not exist. I know better. It does. I have seen it with my own two beady little eyes. Under my guidance, he now has become facile with spreadsheets, and how to construct business plans (e.g., separating out overhead from variable costs), and sophisticated cost accounting systems. He also owns two four-plexes, and his own home in Anaheim.

What did you call the company, El Toro?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »

No, too Hispanic sounding. Tongue  Golden State Doors and Windows is the moniker (I gave Guillermo a list of available names, and that is the one he picked). The Mexican maquiladora subsidiary has a different name. El Toro AFB is closed down, and the hood changed its name to Lake Forest.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »

No, too Hispanic sounding. Tongue  Golden State Doors and Windows

Ugh. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »

Don't like the name? Sad
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »

I like the name, Torie, but don't agree with the idea that what this man is doing is social mobility in any sense which acts as an apology for capitalism.

By the way, Torie, are you manufacturing doors and windows, or merely installing them?  (by 'you', I mean memo, your Mexican minion).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »

Fantastic!  Is there any way you can ban Inks from your thread?

i second this.

i dont think inks understand how patronizing his remarks are.  'how many applications did you put in today?'  'drink tap water.'
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:11 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2013, 01:15:09 PM by Torie »

I like the name, Torie, but don't agree with the idea that what this man is doing is social mobility in any sense which acts as an apology for capitalism.

By the way, Torie, are you manufacturing doors and windows, or merely installing them?  (by 'you', I mean memo, your Mexican minion).

He is not my minion, he is my partner (we each get 45% of the action, and a third guy gets 10%). He and the 10% guy get a salary off the top. We will be setting up a plant in TJ, and manufacturing the product (made to order custom, high end products), and selling them to selected stores, in SD, OC, and LA counties, and hopefully up in the Bay Area, particularly the City of SF, where a lot of retrofitting is going on, and the traditional wood look (it's not really wood (it's PVC sanded, so when painted looks like wood, and nobody else knows how to make the product this way, having tried and failed to do so (although you can have a choice of woods if you like for the interior side), or a special kind of wood from England called accoya, which is mold and moisture resistant) is in vogue. The products are just gorgeous, and to my eye, make everything else look butt ugly. I probably have about 50 of these doors and windows installed now in various properties.

An example is below. The windows are true divided light, with separate panes of glass, rather than some phony molding strip affixed on top of one piece of glass, which I loathe. The accoya they are made out of makes them indestructible. They will last for decades. (I used to live in the apartment above the garage by the way - this property was my first purchase back in 1979.)

We go on the road his month to see if we can get the kind of interest we need to get our sales volume up to a break even point. We are about half way there in OC alone, where the failed company did most of its business, so there are existing channels to sell through with folks familiar with, and who love, the product. We are also making some improvements to it, to make it easier to install, including affixing something called "nail fins." We also want to get the product energy rated, and there is a rather complex protocol to go through to get that done.

Meanwhile we have signed a lease in TJ (which we can cancel within 45 days), so we can start the 25 day process of securing the import, export permits to move our equipment now sitting on the border in truck containers across it to the TJ plant facility immediately upon my giving the "go" signal.  

Who knew I would become something of a manufacturing guy. Smiley

You don't think Guillermo is an example of social mobility of the kind you said did not exist opebo? Just why is that?  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:08 PM »

I'm assuming Torie's Finding Nemo lesson is for Bushie, but can we no longer hijack this Update?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »

Yes, that is a rather bad habit of mine, but I like to chat. Anyway, it is that kind of thread. And opebo keeps saying it is all hopeless for "the poors," to which I take strong exception. And then one thing leads to another. Sorry.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »

I sure hope Bushie finds love again in this season.

Seconded. Id love to see a Bushie edition of the bachelor. The girls could fight over who loves Christ more.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 09:32:53 PM »

I have taken 5 fish pills so far and I've definitely had some fish breath and burping!  This could get interesting as I take more pills!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 11:05:13 PM »

I have taken 5 fish pills so far and I've definitely had some fish breath and burping!  This could get interesting as I take more pills!

Maybe if you stopped being such a p#ssy that would clear up.

Tough love time. Sort it out and take control of your life
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »

Twist season finale: Bushie accidentally ODs on fish oil pills.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04:28 AM »

I have taken 5 fish pills so far and I've definitely had some fish breath and burping!  This could get interesting as I take more pills!

Or you could act like a normal 30-year-old, most of who are not on fish oil pills, and control your cholesterol.  But to do that, you'll have to stop stuffing your face with unhealthy food.  Imagine that - you'll be skinny, which means you'll be more attractive, and you won't stink like fish!  You'll practically be a normal human being by that point!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 02:32:10 AM »

i second this.

i dont think inks understand how patronizing his remarks are.  'how many applications did you put in today?'  'drink tap water.'

Agreed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 02:43:50 AM »

i second this.

It only comes across as patronizing because the thinks that I say should be common sense to Jeff already.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

Or you could act like a normal 30-year-old, most of who are not on fish oil pills, and control your cholesterol.  But to do that, you'll have to stop stuffing your face with unhealthy food.  Imagine that - you'll be skinny, which means you'll be more attractive, and you won't stink like fish!  You'll practically be a normal human being by that point!

I hear that totally.  I've already laid the groundwork on massive changes.  I just have to remember that it's not going to happen overnight, just like these bad habits didn't happen overnight.  I've already been drinking a good amount of water in the past two weeks, usually around 4-5 glasses a day.  I'm going to up that to 7-8 a day and only allow myself a coke at dinner and only if I've had at least 4 glasses of water.  If I manage to pull off 8 glasses of water, I will allow myself 2 cokes.  Some studies suggest doubling the water intake versus the soda intake.  For a 12 oz can of coke that would be 3 glasses of water (24 oz).  I don't feel that's enough given my situation.  This is why I'm going to do 4 glasses of water to one can of coke.  When it comes to food, we've already been incorporating more fresh fruits, we've got apples, bananas, and oranges as our snacks.  We'll soon add grapes.  We're trying to cut down on the amount of meat we fix for dinner.  Mom is already limited to 6-8 oz of meat a day, so I can start limiting myself to maybe 10-12 oz.  My kidneys are not in as bad a shape as hers are, but I want to take steps now to prevent them from going that direction because kidney trouble runs in her side of the family.  Her brother has had a history of kidney stones and her grandpa (my great-grandpa) had kidney disease late in his life.  That's why the doctor has kicked me off taking Aleve or Ibuprofen.  Now, I'll just take one anti-inflammatory pill every morning, and maybe some Tylenol later on in the day if I'm stiff or sore.  The doctor got on to me about my weight.  This doctor is so much better than the last one I had because he understands how serious my weight issue really is.  He's given me tools and tips on how to get this weight down so now its up to me to put it into practice.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

Again, drink a protein drink every morning for breakfast without fail. I use pro-lean matrix, and mix it with eggs whites, strawberries and orange juice in the blender, and then swallow my little array of pills with it. That is the single best thing that you can do. It will staunch your appetite for porking out a lunch for starters, and all that protein in the am actually gets your metabolism going faster, burning up more calories than otherwise. And again, this is probably the single most important factor as to why I lost 10 pounds a month - this, even while I continued to imbibe booze.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 07:25:10 PM »

I've had a pretty good day today.  I'll be honest, I did not do well on my diet, but it was Easter Saturday, so I'm not going to worry about it.  Tomorrow will be a little better with ham, potato salad, Bush's baked beans, and unsweetened Iced Tea for Easter Dinner after church.  It will be better than a bacon cheeseburger that I had tonight for dinner.  Since Monday is April 1 and I will have company coming in Wednesday and staying for three weeks, I am going to suspend the job search until after I get home from Africa, because by the time the company leaves around April 20 or so, I will likely have plane tickets in my email.  My father reassured me this evening that he brought me home with the intention of sending me to school.  Our finances are about to get a major lift before June 1, so they have told me that I can look in July, but don't worry about getting one and focus on going to school in August.  The program I'm looking at, which is Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) takes 7 months full time and 14 months half time.  They would rather me go to school full time and get it over with and get a really good job in March.  It is very unconventional, but that is what we are going to do.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

I hear that totally.  I've already laid the groundwork on massive changes.  I just have to remember that it's not going to happen overnight, just like these bad habits didn't happen overnight.  I've already been drinking a good amount of water in the past two weeks, usually around 4-5 glasses a day.  I'm going to up that to 7-8 a day and only allow myself a coke at dinner and only if I've had at least 4 glasses of water.  If I manage to pull off 8 glasses of water, I will allow myself 2 cokes.  Some studies suggest doubling the water intake versus the soda intake.  For a 12 oz can of coke that would be 3 glasses of water (24 oz).  I don't feel that's enough given my situation.  This is why I'm going to do 4 glasses of water to one can of coke.  When it comes to food, we've already been incorporating more fresh fruits, we've got apples, bananas, and oranges as our snacks.  We'll soon add grapes.  We're trying to cut down on the amount of meat we fix for dinner.  Mom is already limited to 6-8 oz of meat a day, so I can start limiting myself to maybe 10-12 oz.  My kidneys are not in as bad a shape as hers are, but I want to take steps now to prevent them from going that direction because kidney trouble runs in her side of the family.  Her brother has had a history of kidney stones and her grandpa (my great-grandpa) had kidney disease late in his life.  That's why the doctor has kicked me off taking Aleve or Ibuprofen.  Now, I'll just take one anti-inflammatory pill every morning, and maybe some Tylenol later on in the day if I'm stiff or sore.  The doctor got on to me about my weight.  This doctor is so much better than the last one I had because he understands how serious my weight issue really is.  He's given me tools and tips on how to get this weight down so now its up to me to put it into practice.

OK, you said you were going to make changes months ago, yet you're still obese, and haven't really improved that much.

Why are you basing your Coke intake off of your water intake?  That's not going to help much.  If you have 4 glasses of water and a Coke, yet you sit on the couch all day or you have 8 glasses of water and 2 Cokes, not much has changed.

Why not base your Coke intake off of how much you exercise?  Say, if you exercise by walking a mile (and that means going out expressly for walking, not including any walking you would have to do that day), you get 1 Coke, but if you walk 2 miles, you get 2 Cokes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies