Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:31:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78363 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

I don't believe for a minute he walked a minute, much less 45 minutes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

All it takes is a few simple changes and the quality of life will improve.

Sounds incredibly overly optimistic to me.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2013, 05:55:47 PM »

All it takes is a few simple changes and the quality of life will improve.

Sounds incredibly overly optimistic to me.

As with many things in life the answer to this particular issue is rather simple. Eat less and exercise more. The tough part is asking yourself the hard questions. You can run away from that for decades or never bother to ask for fear of the answer.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

Yeah, it's crap. I let myself get out of shape in the last 6 months by a combination of colds (one bad one), surgery and making excuses. Before that I was about 20lbs heavier then I wanted to be and gained another 10lbs. Finally started getting back into the exercise phase and my lower back and legs have been killing me and that's only with 30lbs, Bushie has about 150+ extra weight so I imagine he didn't do it because he can't.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:18 PM »

As with many things in life the answer to this particular issue is rather simple. Eat less and exercise more. The tough part is asking yourself the hard questions. You can run away from that for decades or never bother to ask for fear of the answer.

I don't know - I mean, eating is one of the few enjoyments in life, and exercising is very unpleasant, and in any case you die regardless of what you do... so, the whole rationale of your recommendations is dubious.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »

Well if he got the app I told him about, he could friend me and I could confirm his claims...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »

I don't know - I mean, eating is one of the few enjoyments in life, and exercising is very unpleasant, and in any case you die regardless of what you do... so, the whole rationale of your recommendations is dubious.

As a fat there are tremendous downsides to being tired all the time, putting limitations on what you can do, what you even want to do. Further, you don't need to be an ascetic to achieve more energy and aesthetics is just a sideshow.  You feel better and think better about yourself and your surroundings.

Ultimately the whole weight saga is just a symptom. When one continually, almost ritualistically beats themselves up; food, retreat and these aspirations enter to try to balance it all out.  
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2013, 09:39:30 PM »

Hey, guys.  It's been a long, exhausting day visiting with family, but it was fun.  I am very exhausted right now, but will stay up until midnight and wake up around 8:00.  I'll leave here around 9:30 in the morning so I can get ready for my music special in the service.  My cousins and I are singing a contemporary piece called "Shout to the North".  Tomorrow is an off day with family, I just have church in the morning and in the evening.  I'm going to try to fit in a walk right after I get home from church tomorrow afternoon for about 30 minutes before I settle in and watch baseball until church time again.  Monday is another big family dinner with Pork Tenderloin being served.  The rest of the week should be pretty low key before it picks up again the following Tuesday, April 16 for another 6 days.  Although, that week doesn't look as brutal as they'll be with his side of the family for a night or two and give us a break.  The last 8 or 9 days of April look nice and easy with just the four of us celebrating two birthdays.

Oh, and I did walk the other day, but unfortunately, when I tried to download the app it gave me an error and I couldn't download it.  I gave up for that evening, but I will try again pretty soon, I've just been caught up with family, hence why I haven't posted much the past two or three days.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »

I've been doing some calculations.  I am very obese, but my ideal weight is not extremely far away and within eyesight.  At my current weight of 267, I am only 67 pounds over my ideal weight, which is 200, and only 52 pounds over the high end of my goal range.  That is not astronomical when you think about it.  A normal weight for me is about 190, but I think if I can get down to 200-215 eventually, I'll be fine, or at least in much better shape.  It is a lot, don't get me wrong, but I see so many people who are well north of 100 pounds over where they should be, especially in Oklahoma.  If I'm only 50-70 pounds, then it is very doable what I need to do and really shouldn't take too long.  If I can lose maybe 5 pounds a month, I'm only talking like a year of solid commitment.  I can do this easily.  It is well within my realm of capability.  I just have to get started.  I know what to do, so now is the time to just do it.  This next week will be great for getting started as I won't have any family commitments other than Monday night and Friday night dinner with some friends, but I've got a great opportunity to take advantage of wonderful weather and really start walking and getting serious.  Tomorrow will be a good day, Monday up until 17:00 will be a good day, all day Tuesday-Thursday, Friday up until 17:00, all day Saturday-Monday the following weekend will all be great times to take advantage of.  I've got this.  It's time to rock and roll tomorrow!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »

Why are there so many fats in OK? And y'all don't even guzzle the booze like I do... It's insane.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:27 PM »

Why are there so many fats in OK? And y'all don't even guzzle the booze like I do... It's insane.

It's the "Old Country Cookin'" that you mentioned earlier.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »

It's the "Old Country Cookin'" that you mentioned earlier.

Plus middle-America's overt hostility towards pedestrians and bicyclists, of course.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »

I can do this easily.  It is well within my realm of capability.

And this is why you should be embarrassed.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2013, 02:08:13 PM »

Your ideal weight is not 200 lbs. You've stated previosuly that you're about 5'8".   But there's no need to set some distant goal. Focus on doing the right thing now. Do you not have fat clinics in OK? A coworker here goes to one and has lost quite a bit of weight on some sort of stimulant.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »

Baby steps, I guess. Weighing 200 pounds is far better than 267, but he will not achieve that goal as long as he is treating himself daily to pie and other unhealthy things. It is a matter of changing his lifestyle, and even with his family's current medical conditions, it doesn't appear like they care. There is always an excuse for that piece of cream pie or choosing not to take that walk.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2013, 07:28:24 PM »

Your ideal weight is not 200 lbs. You've stated previosuly that you're about 5'8".   But there's no need to set some distant goal. Focus on doing the right thing now. Do you not have fat clinics in OK? A coworker here goes to one and has lost quite a bit of weight on some sort of stimulant.

Focusing on the scale is stupid.  Ray Rice is 5'8 212. Obviously this is a silly comparison, but it calls to mind the larger idea that the goal should be to feel better.  Losing some weight and being more active will make someone healthier, have more energy and a side benefit that you will look better.

Now this is all moot because it is quite clear that Bushie is already bargaining with himself. The family, the weather and who knows what next week and month (Kenya?)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:46 PM »

Focusing on the scale is stupid.  Ray Rice is 5'8 212. Obviously this is a silly comparison, but it calls to mind the larger idea that the goal should be to feel better.  Losing some weight and being more active will make someone healthier, have more energy and a side benefit that you will look better.

Now this is all moot because it is quite clear that Bushie is already bargaining with himself. The family, the weather and who knows what next week and month (Kenya?)

Yes, we all know that BMI doesn't work for some people.  Jeff doesn't fall into that category.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »

Yes, we all know that BMI doesn't work for some people.  Jeff doesn't fall into that category.

Well this is true because from the sounds of it he is in much worse shape than the BMI would suggest.  General point is say he was a healthy and energetic 230, who cares what the scale might say.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »

Well this is true because from the sounds of it he is in much worse shape than the BMI would suggest.  General point is say he was a healthy and energetic 230, who cares what the scale might say.

Because at 230 he'd have no difference then where he is now. His goal should be 170 but I doubt he'll ever get below 250.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »

Yeah, sure... but at 230, he won't be healthy and energetic.  His body fat percentage would still be massively higher than it should be.  Unless he magically puts on a bunch of muscle, but that's not likely to happen.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

I did manage to have three glasses of water today, although I will admit my lunch was the pits.  I ate okay for dinner, but my lunch was not good.

I've learned something.  Do not step on the scale when you have company, because no matter what I do, with several glasses of water a day and a brief, brisk walk most mornings, my body still seems to find the pounds.  So, I'm going to focus on what I need to do for the next couple weeks until everybody leaves, but not worry too much about it.  Worry gets you nowhere and only shortens your life.  When the company is gone, I'll be playing catch up until I go to Kenya.

The thing I don't get is everybody is saying it's extremely easy to take just a little bit when you have a 10 course meal set out in front of you, everybody else is filling their plates and their bellies, and you don't want to offend the host.  The toughest thing for me is limiting myself to one plate AND trimming the portion sizes on that one plate.  I do not want to leave the table still hungry, because I will inevitably go for an extra slice of pie in an hour or so that I don't need.  I don't need to stuff myself so much that I'm miserable, but its tougher than it looks to just take one helping of everything, or most things.  I'm not saying it can't be done, and it may be easy for those who are used to doing it, but for someone who is used to getting seconds, and occasionally thirds of several things on the table, it's a big change.  I've got a big dinner tomorrow night, so we'll see how I do limiting myself to one plate.  I'm just going to focus on limiting myself to one plate and then work on trimming the portion sizes a bit when I know I can successfully cut out the seconds.  When I get past the company and the birthdays, things will settle down quite a bit and it will be much easier to get into a routine.  I will not watch what I eat on my birthday, though, because it is wrong to diet on your birthday, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »

I will not watch what I eat on my birthday, though, because it is wrong to diet on your birthday, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do it.

Unless that medical condition is morbid obesity, in which case, you can still say, "Screw it! I want cake!"... Is that really the argument you're making?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »

I will not watch what I eat on my birthday, though, because it is wrong to diet on your birthday, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do it.

Unless that medical condition is morbid obesity, in which case, you can still say, "Screw it! I want cake!"... Is that really the argument you're making?

I'm talking conditions where the doctor has given you a specific diet, such as diabetes or other conditions that restrict what you can eat.  Obesity itself doesn't restrict what you can eat, just that you should restrict what you can eat.  There is a big difference.  Plus, one is required to enjoy themselves on their birthday at all costs even if that includes pigging out.  They only get one birthday a year.

So, to answer your question, Yes. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #173 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:45 PM »

Dieting does mean you will be hungry sometimes. That goes with the territory. Otherwise you will weigh 267 pounds until you die.

What did you eat recently that was so bad?

Also, it shouldn't offend the host if you aren't stuffing your face at each meal. How many of these things do you go to? I know I pig out sometimes at big functions, but I am not overweight so I can afford to on occasion, and I love eating, but my diet tends to be a healthy one where I genuinely enjoy eating healthy food over crap. But like I said, this is about your health, where you are morbidly obese. Offending the host shouldn't be a concern when we are talking about your life here.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: April 07, 2013, 08:56:07 PM »

And, oddly enough, according to the lab results, the doctor said I'm closer to Hypoglycemia than I am to Diabetes.  My lab range was 4.5-6.5.  Anything 4.4 and southis Hypoglycemia, and anything 6.6 and north is diabetes.  My result was a 5.0.  They are going to check my blood sugar again on September 27.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies