Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78359 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »

Well, having either one at 31 is not good news.. Tongue

If that isn't enough reason to actually diet, I don't know what is. I am not saying don't enjoy your birthday, but it is just another excuse you use to avoid getting your diet under control, albeit better than "my grandma cooked and I didn't want to offend her by not eating 4 servings of country fried steak and cream pie."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2013, 09:24:03 PM »

I will not watch what I eat on my birthday, though, because it is wrong to diet on your birthday, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do it.

Unless that medical condition is morbid obesity, in which case, you can still say, "Screw it! I want cake!"... Is that really the argument you're making?

I'm talking conditions where the doctor has given you a specific diet, such as diabetes or other conditions that restrict what you can eat.  Obesity itself doesn't restrict what you can eat, just that you should restrict what you can eat.  There is a big difference.  Plus, one is required to enjoy themselves on their birthday at all costs even if that includes pigging out.  They only get one birthday a year.

So, to answer your question, Yes. Smiley

Diabetics can still eat things that everyone else can eat; it's all about balancing your sugar intake and insulin levels.  Just because you're diabetic doesn't mean you can't eat cake; it means you shouldn't have the whole damn cake.  And the same goes for obesity.

And if it really was just pigging out on your birthday, that'd be one thing.  But we've come to know you... the next week it'll be something different.  "It's French Canadian Thanksgiving... I can't not eat then."  Then the next week, "My aunt's best friend's grandmother's cousin-in-law is coming to town and cooking for us; I don't want to be rude and not eat."  Then, "My mom made fried stuffed lard balls; that's my favorite meal.  I can't not pig out for that!"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:35 PM »

And, oddly enough, according to the lab results, the doctor said I'm closer to Hypoglycemia than I am to Diabetes.  My lab range was 4.5-6.5.  Anything 4.4 and southis Hypoglycemia, and anything 6.6 and north is diabetes.  My result was a 5.0.  They are going to check my blood sugar again on September 27.

Well, if you keep drifting closer to hypoglycemia, it's possible that you're hyperinsulinemic, which would make sense, since you're overweight.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:06 PM »

Actually, the diabetic "diet" is what the rest of us should be eating regularly. Diabetics aren't on a diet, they are just told by their doctors to eat like the rest of us should.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2013, 09:29:35 PM »

Diabetics can still eat things that everyone else can eat; it's all about balancing your sugar intake and insulin levels.  Just because you're diabetic doesn't mean you can't eat cake; it means you shouldn't have the whole damn cake.  And the same goes for obesity.

Quite true, but nobody obese or not should eat the whole darn cake.  There is something called self control.  Granted, I don't have much, but I do have enough sense to just eat one slice of cake, two at the very most.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fair point
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »

Actually, the diabetic "diet" is what the rest of us should be eating regularly. Diabetics aren't on a diet, they are just told by their doctors to eat like the rest of us should.

Exactly.  You SHOULD balance your sugar intake with your insulin, because that's how it is supposed to work, but the body (in non-diabetics) is able to quickly produce insulin in instances where it has to in order to meet demands.

Think of it like a rainy day fund - a family should balance their budget, but if they have an emergency arise, they may have a rainy day fund that they can take from.  But if you raid from the rainy day fund all the time, eventually it won't be there anymore.

Not a perfect analogy, but close enough.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

Quite true, but nobody obese or not should eat the whole darn cake.  There is something called self control.  Granted, I don't have much, but I do have enough sense to just eat one slice of cake, two at the very most.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Fair point

So start now!  I'm not advocating anything extreme.  I'm not saying don't have cake and ice cream; just don't have too much cake and ice cream.  Start your diet today--there's no point in waiting, because if you keep waiting, you'll never start.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

He won't ever start. This much is clear.

All he has to do is start eating normally, like not having pie after every meal, not eating 3 servings of dinner each night. I am not sure how the people are in his parts, but not eating 3 helpings is not offensive here. No one really wants to see you pig out uncontrollably.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »

Bushie, what do you weigh now? It's a lot more than 267 isn't it?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2013, 11:27:57 PM »

This morning, I weighed in at 271.  4 pounds higher.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »

Eek. You really will be 300 soon at this rate.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2013, 01:15:18 AM »

Jeff, there are BMI charts that don't even go that high... What the hell are you waiting for?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2013, 01:22:44 AM »

Speaking AS a diabetic (one who is not overweight), yes diabetics can eat whatever they want, so long as portions are reasonable, and the carbohydrates being consumed are covered by the insulin dose.  I have dessert quite regularly.  Just one piece, though.  Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2013, 01:28:44 AM »

There's another reason to avoid most pies I've tried. They taste like [inks].
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2013, 01:29:46 AM »

How tall is Bushie?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2013, 01:33:07 AM »

What part of me have you tasted?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:33 AM »

True.  Like so many foods corporatization has ruined pies.  One has to engage in a strenuous search to find a decent pie (home-made, with lard, etc.).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »

because it is wrong to diet on your birthday

Why?  Is it wrong to abstain from shooting meth and going to the prostitute on your birthday too?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:27 AM »

I did manage to have three glasses of water today, although I will admit my lunch was the pits.  I ate okay for dinner, but my lunch was not good.

I've learned something.  Do not step on the scale when you have company, because no matter what I do, with several glasses of water a day and a brief, brisk walk most mornings, my body still seems to find the pounds.  So, I'm going to focus on what I need to do for the next couple weeks until everybody leaves, but not worry too much about it.  Worry gets you nowhere and only shortens your life.  When the company is gone, I'll be playing catch up until I go to Kenya.

The thing I don't get is everybody is saying it's extremely easy to take just a little bit when you have a 10 course meal set out in front of you, everybody else is filling their plates and their bellies, and you don't want to offend the host.  The toughest thing for me is limiting myself to one plate AND trimming the portion sizes on that one plate.  I do not want to leave the table still hungry, because I will inevitably go for an extra slice of pie in an hour or so that I don't need.  I don't need to stuff myself so much that I'm miserable, but its tougher than it looks to just take one helping of everything, or most things.  I'm not saying it can't be done, and it may be easy for those who are used to doing it, but for someone who is used to getting seconds, and occasionally thirds of several things on the table, it's a big change.  I've got a big dinner tomorrow night, so we'll see how I do limiting myself to one plate.  I'm just going to focus on limiting myself to one plate and then work on trimming the portion sizes a bit when I know I can successfully cut out the seconds.  When I get past the company and the birthdays, things will settle down quite a bit and it will be much easier to get into a routine.  I will not watch what I eat on my birthday, though, because it is wrong to diet on your birthday, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to do it.

Let me shorten this up for Torie, who reads this in spite of his affirmation that he never will again and is probably ready to pop an aneurysm:

Bushie took a brief brisk walk from his house to the car, then from the car to granny's front door.  He's eating like a crazed lunatic and weights 275, not 271, because we all know he lies.  He has no intention to stop pigging out and won't reduce his portion sizes by a morsel until May, maybe. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:45 AM »

By his own word, he has gained 10+ pounds since he came home in a month. For someone his size, that is insane.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »

By his own word, he has gained 10+ pounds since he came home in a month. For someone his size, that is insane.

And it's not like he's tied down to a desk job at the moment, which makes it difficult for him to find time to exercise.  He has all the time in the world to exercise every day.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »

And it's not like he's tied down to a desk job at the moment, which makes it difficult for him to find time to exercise.  He has all the time in the world to exercise every day.

Right. He just doesn't care. Baseball games on tv, not wanting to offend people who cook for him, feeling hungry. All of those things take priority over health.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »

I don't understand how one can possibly stuff that much food into his mouth to gain 10 pounds in one month without at least heavy drinking.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2013, 08:59:52 AM »

I don't understand how one can possibly stuff that much food into his mouth to gain 10 pounds in one month without at least heavy drinking.

It's probably possible if he's eating pie multiple times a day, lots of fried food, heavy gravies, drinking regular cokes and other soft drinks, and basically eating sugar all day long with no exercise whatsoever (walking to his car and back doesn't count, I don't count walking to the parking deck and back as exercise when I do it every day). It sounds like it is the norm for his family to "stuff their bellies" at every meal.

Like I said, once he got back into that environment, he would go downhill, and I nailed it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

I've reconsidered not weighing myself until the company leaves.  I need to weigh everyday so I can make sure I don't go too far off track.  Plus, I just can't go three weeks without weighing!  As of this morning, I am back down to 269, a drop of two pounds from yesterday morning.  I'll be walking around Grandma's property for about 30 minutes right after I get over there.  I'm leaving at 10:30, so I should be able to walk from 11:00-11:30.  My family won't be in until around Noon or shortly thereafter.  Tonight, I will limit myself to one helping and will drink water throughout the day again.  I'm not going to let the excuse of family completely stop what I'm doing, and I have never said they would completely stop me.  I just have to do what I can in the face of a lot of other factors.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies