Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78333 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

School and work are not mutually exclusive.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »

Very true, but if I work, I can probably only go to school part time (there are no evening classes) and that would make the program take twice as long, probably extending into late 2014.  The goal here is to focus exclusively on school, so I can get done with school fairly quickly and get into a career as opposed to just another dead-end job.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »

Very true, but if I work, I can probably only go to school part time (there are no evening classes) and that would make the program take twice as long, probably extending into late 2014.  The goal here is to focus exclusively on school, so I can get done with school fairly quickly and get into a career as opposed to just another dead-end job.

Then work part-time at night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2013, 10:32:15 PM »

I haven't ruled that out.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »

You seemed pretty definitive when you said this:

I, along with my parents guidance, have decided that after I get back from Kenya, I will go to school for Computer Aided Drafting and wait for a job until after I get out of school.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2013, 10:36:08 PM »

You seemed pretty definitive when you said this:

I, along with my parents guidance, have decided that after I get back from Kenya, I will go to school for Computer Aided Drafting and wait for a job until after I get out of school.

Bad wording.  I should have said a career-type job.  A part time gig is still on the table.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #281 on: April 09, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »

So have you bought your ticket to Kenya yet?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: April 09, 2013, 10:43:29 PM »

The money has been locked in, so they are probably going to purchase the tickets by the end of next week.

But, there is no way I am staying home at this point.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »

So I assume you've stopped applying for jobs?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »

How could he "pay down" his credit cards if he's not working? Does Bushie have a sugar daddy?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:37 PM »

How could he "pay down" his credit cards if he's not working? Does Bushie have a sugar daddy?

If he has no income, he must be getting help from someone.  My guess would be his parents.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »

Prayer.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2013, 02:05:55 AM »

There's really no reason for him to think about getting job right now if his parents are willing to subsidize him. He needs to get his physical and mental health problems under control before he dies. That's all he should be working on for now. It'd certainly be a big step in the right direction if he got over this silly Kenya fantasy which is just that - a fantasy.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »

There's really no reason for him to think about getting job right now if his parents are willing to subsidize him. He needs to get his physical and mental health problems under control before he dies. That's all he should be working on for now. It'd certainly be a big step in the right direction if he got over this silly Kenya fantasy which is just that - a fantasy.

If it's true that his dad is working 28 days a month, I really don't see how that's a sustainable situation.  That's 2-3 days of buffer room per month... that's really not a lot.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »

I went to the Metro Technology Center in Oklahoma City earlier this afternoon to investigate the Computer-Aided Drafting program.  I found out that the class will start on Monday, 5 August 2013 and will take 9 months instead of 7 months like I thought, so I would be finished by the end of the school year.  There are three disciplines within the CAD department, Civil (roads, bridges, etc), Architectural (houses, office buildings, etc), and Engineering.  I chose the Architectural side, because that will work the best both here and in Africa.  I will go in this coming Monday, 15 April 2013 and take the Compass Test, which is basically an aptitude test to see if I could make it in CAD.  I'll go in about 11:30 am and it will take me 2 1/2 - 3 hours to complete.  I will have the results within 20 minutes after I finish the test.  After I finish the test, I will be put on a waiting list to get into the program which I would be the 5th one down.  She said that if I get on the waiting list by the end of April, I should have no problems getting started on 5 August, but if I can't then they start adult students every 2-3 weeks throughout the semester, so I could start middle August or early September if I don't get in on 5 August.  The hours will be from 07:40-10:15 for the morning session and 11:25-14:20 for the afternoon session.  If I went all day, I would be finished in May 2014.  If I went half time, I would be done Spring 2015.  With that said, I will likely look for a part-time evening job in July while I'm not going to school so I can have that established by  the time school starts.  She said the program is self paced, meaning I will have a text book and a workstation and will go through the lessons at my own pace with the aid of the teacher.  There will be very little if any classroom lecture.  After the class is over, I can either get an internship somewhere, or get a job using my CAD, and I have the option of applying these for college credit at OSU-OKC or Oklahoma City Community College for further education at no additional cost.  Even if I decide not to continue on in August 2014 at one of the colleges mentioned above, the credits will be there on my transcript should I decide to go later on.  After I get on the waiting list on Monday, I am going to start the process of applying for financial aid.  The program would be ~$2500 with tuition and books, so financial aid would be helpful in any amount I can get it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

1. I can't see you doing computer-aided drafting.
2. The class is self-paced?  If you're as diligent with class as you are with your dieting and exercise plans, you might finish before 2020.

How are you going to pay off the $2,500 if you don't know you have a job right after?  Why not get a job and save up money and then take the class?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »

1. I can't see you doing computer-aided drafting.
2. The class is self-paced?  If you're as diligent with class as you are with your dieting and exercise plans, you might finish before 2020.

How are you going to pay off the $2,500 if you don't know you have a job right after?  Why not get a job and save up money and then take the class?

1. I've always been interested in architecture.  It involves higher math, such as Geometry and Trigonometry, both of which I have taken and did pretty well in.  The aptitude test will tell me more and if not CAD, it will tell me what I would be good in.

2.  Fair assessment, but it is not self-paced at home, it is self-paced in the classroom and it will be in an area that interests me, so I should be fine

3.  They'll have a job-placement service at the end of the program, so I should be fine with that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:06 PM »

I'm looking forward to investigating this program further and getting into it.  I'm smarter than what I look, and I know I'll be able to handle it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »

I'm going to do something quite different for me.  I'm normally not a golf person, but my Uncle who is still here while his wife is in Florida is a huge golf fan.  After I take a nice walk, I am going over to Grandma's with him the next four days and watch the 2013 Master's Golf Tournament from Augusta, Georgia.  I would love to hear his commentary on the biggest golf event of the year.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #294 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »

I'm going to do something quite different for me.  I'm normally not a golf person, but my Uncle who is still here while his wife is in Florida is a huge golf fan.  After I take a nice walk, I am going over to Grandma's with him the next four days and watch the 2013 Master's Golf Tournament from Augusta, Georgia.  I would love to hear his commentary on the biggest golf event of the year.

I started reading this paragraph thinking "Wait, Bushie isn't going to golfing is he?"  Then by the end, I realized that all was right with the world again when I read that you were only going to watch it on TV.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »

I started reading this paragraph thinking "Wait, Bushie isn't going to golfing is he?"  Then by the end, I realized that all was right with the world again when I read that you were only going to watch it on TV.

I would like to go golfing one of these days, but at this time I'll be a sofa spectator.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #296 on: April 10, 2013, 08:47:55 PM »

I would like to go golfing one of these days, but at this time I'll be a sofa spectator.

Are there any outdoor activities you have an interest in, other than walking?  You have all this free time between now and the start of your schooling (minus trip to Kenya).  Is the Oklahoman summer so miserable that it's wise to just hide inside the air conditioning all day long, or might anything entice you to go outside?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: April 10, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »

Are there any outdoor activities you have an interest in, other than walking?  You have all this free time between now and the start of your schooling (minus trip to Kenya).  Is the Oklahoman summer so miserable that it's wise to just hide inside the air conditioning all day long, or might anything entice you to go outside?

The main one is not really exercise, miniature golf.  Summers are hot, but you get used to them if you've lived here long enough.  I would like to try to take up real golf, but I don't want to go swimming for my balls!  I don't want to pay for lessons, either.  I don't care to rock climb or go on a ropes course.  Now, at a church camp in Southern Oklahoma I did swing out over the creek like Tarzan in 2009.  That is no joke!  I guess my weight has a lot to do with my lack of interest.  I can't swim, so I'm afraid to do much around water, although I would like to go to the Great Wolf Lodge in Dallas, an indoor water park.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »

What about finding a basketball court somewhere (whether inside or outside) and shooting hoops?  Not necessarily the most strenuous activity in the world, but at least it's better than sitting around all day at a computer or TV.

What about frisbee golf?  That doesn't require any knowledge other than how to throw a frisbee.  Are there any frisbee gold places in your area?  Any friends who might want to play that with you some time?  Again, not the most strenuous exercise, but at least it gets you outside, walking around.

Also, you live in a supposedly first world country.  How is it that you can't swim?  Didn't they teach you  how to swim in gym class when you were in school?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »

What kind of American public school has its own pool to teach kids how to swim in? Most Americans learn to swim, if they do, through private swim classes. About half of the population can't swim, and this is especially true of poor people.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies