Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:24:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45
Author Topic: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"  (Read 78397 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: April 20, 2013, 05:35:19 AM »

So why aren't you helping underprivileged youth in Oklahoma city, Bushie?

That's part of the reason I am staying home for a while longer.  There is a very rough neighborhood in north Choctaw/south Jones that my pastor and cousins have been involved in teaching after school programs and Bible Studies to the kids who would otherwise end up in gangs or even dead.  It meets every Monday at 16:30.  I will be getting involved when school starts in August.

Are they not doing this now? Why can't you help now?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #676 on: April 20, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2013, 08:04:55 AM by Gravis Marketing »

Deleted my initial response to "confirming thoughts."

No point. Critiquing self-serving arguments here is like going to a Star Trek movie and yelling at the screen that you can't go faster than light. Just enjoy the show for what it is, even if it's the lousy sixth season.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #677 on: April 20, 2013, 09:40:23 AM »

So why aren't you helping underprivileged youth in Oklahoma city, Bushie?

That's part of the reason I am staying home for a while longer.  There is a very rough neighborhood in north Choctaw/south Jones that my pastor and cousins have been involved in teaching after school programs and Bible Studies to the kids who would otherwise end up in gangs or even dead.  It meets every Monday at 16:30.  I will be getting involved when school starts in August.

Are they not doing this now? Why can't you help now?

I will go observe two or three times this Spring, but I can't be certified to teach any programs until August.  They won't let anybody actually do or lead anything unless they are certified.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #678 on: April 20, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »

You're so committed to going to Kenya, yet you can't even walk a mile a day.  You're going to be in for a big shock when you're stuck over in Kenya.

I've got a lot of work to do, don't I?  Tongue

Yet you continue to sit on your butt doing nothing...

That much is true, but will be changing soon.

You said that weeks ago.

I've just talked to my mother and she went to the doctor yesterday and he gave her orders to start walking ASAP.  Our last night with family dinners is Monday, so on Tuesday we will get started walking.  We will try to walk either in the yard or at the Harrah Park when the weather is nice.  When the weather is too rainy, too cold, or too hot, we will go to Walmart and walk around.  We both need to get started walking so now would be a great time to do it since the family is soon leaving.  We're going out to eat just Mom, Dad, and I this evening for Mexican Food, but tomorrow, I'm going to check on the house after church and then Mom and I are going to help Dad in the yard.  It's supposed to be in the high 60's tomorrow with only a 20% coverage of rain.  It's doubtful we'll walk much Monday, but then we'll get started in earnest on Tuesday.  We're going to start out small, probably 10 minutes a day according to what her doctor recommends and then build up to 30-40 minutes a day.  I'm going to try to talk her into walking Monday, as well since we'll only walk for 10-15 minutes, so it won't take long.  At this rate, it may take some time to notice a lot of difference, but at least we now have a plan to get started.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #679 on: April 20, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

How many calories do you think walking 10 minutes a day is going to burn?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #680 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:43 AM »

http://transportation.stanford.edu/pdf/caloriecalc_walk.pdf

113 it appears.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #681 on: April 20, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »

Even for someone as overweight as he is, that number seems ridiculously high. At least for the kind of walking Bushie probably means.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #682 on: April 20, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »

Probably not much, but we are doing what her doctor recommends.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #683 on: April 20, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »

That doesn't mean you have to restrict your excercise to the level that was recommended for her.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #684 on: April 20, 2013, 11:03:33 AM »

That doesn't mean you have to restrict your excercise to the level that was recommended for her.

When we're able to walk in the yard, I'll probably go ahead and walk 30 minutes and she can go inside whenever she needs to.  When we're driving together to the park or to Walmart, we'll start and end at the same time, naturally.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #685 on: April 20, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »

To be fair, every bit is better than nothing....but there's no reason you should settle for "better than nothing" right now. You haven't got anything better to do right now, so why not focus intensively on weight loss and healthier living?

I know, that would require self-discipline and that it's therefore unlikely to happen....but excercise really only starts to be worthwhile if it's enough to wear you out. Is that point really after 10...or even 30 minutes of walking?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #686 on: April 20, 2013, 11:34:23 AM »

Seems pretty high, even for his weight. What speed is that for?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #687 on: April 20, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »

Certainly not for the speed Bushie will reach walking through Wal-Mart.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #688 on: April 20, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

bushie, has god ever told you to stop taking advantage of your (earthly) father?

im not going to lecture you for not having a job, as i think you are mentally unfit at the moment.  but you move back home...and immediately you take your dad's bedroom.  he is 60 and works 60 hours a week, while you cant get out from in front of the tv to even attempt to clean up the yard after a storm?

your dad is either way too kind or he is a pushover.  either way, you are taking advantage of him.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #689 on: April 20, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

Yeah, that is off and wishful thinking. Probably 2/3 that with a 3.5 mph pace.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #690 on: April 20, 2013, 12:02:36 PM »

You and your mom should get gym memberships, Bush.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: April 20, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »

Yeah, that is off and wishful thinking. Probably 2/3 that with a 3.5 mph pace.

113 does seem awfully high.  I'm going to do at least 30 minutes when I can.  I might be able to burn 200 calories doing that.  It does no good to start at 45 minutes, which is what my goal is.  It is better to start small and work up.  That's what Mom is going to do, start at 10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #692 on: April 20, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »

Why would it do no good to start at 45 minutes? Are you physically incapable of walking for that amount of time?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: April 20, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »

Why would it do no good to start at 45 minutes? Are you physically incapable of walking for that amount of time?

It's not that I'm incapable, but when one is working out, they don't start with the hardest machines.  They work up to whatever level they desire.  When one is lifting weights, they don't immediately start at the 250 lb weight or whatever.  At the very, very beginning they start small and work up.  Walking is the same way, sure I'm capable of walking 45 minutes a day, but my doctor has even said it is best to start small and work up.  Working up to whatever level and time I desire does two things.  It prevents unnecessary strain on my muscles and my knees by allowing them to get used to walking and it also reduces burnout potential.

Since I have arthritis in my knees and developing arthritis in my ankles and feet and since I haven't walked steadily in over a decade, I need to start small and work up so my body can get used to walking and exercising.  Especially with my arthritis, working up to it might decrease the risk of hamstring and other sports related injuries.  I have friends who are orthopedists and they tell me working up is the best way to keep going.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #694 on: April 20, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »

But that would cut into the Crackerbarrel and Denny's fund!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: April 20, 2013, 01:37:38 PM »

But that would cut into the Crackerbarrel and Denny's fund!

Haha, and we would rather not have to pay to exercise when we can walk in our own yard.  We've got 2 - 2 1/2 walkable acres and my grandmother has 5 walkable acres.  Why pay when you can get the same results for free?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #696 on: April 20, 2013, 01:51:59 PM »

Have you talked to your doctor about gastric bypass surgery? I know it's a pretty big deal, but so are all the health conditions you're describing. Struggling to walk can't be a lot of fun.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: April 20, 2013, 02:01:48 PM »

Have you talked to your doctor about gastric bypass surgery? I know it's a pretty big deal, but so are all the health conditions you're describing. Struggling to walk can't be a lot of fun.

I'm not that desperate, just yet.  I currently weigh 270 give or take a pound.  When you look at the big picture, I'm only 55 pounds above the high end of my goal range (215) -70 pounds above my ideal weight (200) and maybe only 80-85 pounds above a normal weight (185-190).  If I were over 300 lbs, I might consider it.  There are many people who are well over 100 lbs overweight that might should consider some kind of surgical intervention, but I'm not there, yet.  Plus, I don't have trouble walking.  I can walk pretty well for being as big as I am.  If I put my mind to it, I can walk probably 1-2 miles.  I have no desire to walk 4-5 miles a day or walk or run a marathon or even a half marathon, I just would like to be able to walk so I can be healthier than what I am now.

My first goal is not 215.  My first goal is 255, then 240, then 225, then 210, and finally 195.  15 pound increments.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #698 on: April 20, 2013, 02:05:37 PM »

So what happens when you reach one of those marks?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #699 on: April 20, 2013, 02:11:48 PM »

Bushie, I'm the same height as you. 200 lbs is not ideal. I'm at 190 and I have plenty of gut.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies